AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll. I am returning member from long, long, ago... So long ago that my username and password no longer works! :-(

Anyways, am on the verge of gettting an PC HDTV Decoder card. I've done alot of surfing and narrowed the field down, but first I'd like to describe what my goals are. I have a 3 year old HDTV Ready 16:9 RPTV, the Pioneer SD528. Nice unit and has worked well so far. It has a 15pin RGB and Component Video inputs which I have been using with a Progressive DVD Player. I have no HDTV receiver yet, but have borrowed a friends before and was seriously impressed. However, me and my family are addicted to Replay PVR and could not live with having to actually watch commercials again...if you know what I mean.

Anyways, have been researching a PC for my AV Closet and found out about HDTV Decoder/PVR for a PC. Sounds like the perfect remedy to solve my I-WANT-MY-HDTV pains! My research led me to the Teleman HiPix DTV-200. The reviews seem to say this is the "cat's mellow" for this purpose. However, the reviews all seem to be one/two years old. Is there something better on the market now? The one caveat with the HiPix is the lowly 7 button remote. I really want to be able to control EVERYTHING via an IR Remote. I found another unit the MyHD MDP-120 that is supposely the best selling PC-HDTV and it has a ton of buttons on the remote. Is this unit better? Are there other ones to consider in my Application? Is there an obvious market leader that blows the competition away?

Thanks for reading my post and replying with your vast knowledge... ;-)

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can get a good deal on the older MDP-100 now, since you don't have DVI. You could also look at the Dish equipment coming out soon in the HDTV Recorders section. I love the MyHD MDP-100, and have not upgraded since I have a CRT PJ (no DVI), and I do not need a stronger tuner (120 stronger then 100). It will probably not be as nice GUI wise as the PVR STB you have re controls, but TitanTV.com and latest software from MyHD is pretty darn good.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Is there an obvious market leader that blows the competition away?

No not really. The Hipix is still followed here, but support is all but non-existent. There was a team of members that was working on the software, gut I think that is finished.

The MyHD is also a good card. The MDP-100 was last years model card. and the MDP-120 just came out a month or two ago. The difference between the two is the MDP-120 can support a DVI daughter card for the newer TVs and has a better tuner. Not that the MDP-100 was bad - on par this the other cards, including the Hipix. Macro Image Tech has been giving good software support for the card, and here.

The Fusion card is a card that is still in the works. Unlike the other cards, the computers CPU is used for the HD Decoding. It takes a more robust computer that then the hardware decoding HD Cards.

All the cards only work with Over the Air HD - not HD Cable or Sat. Fusion is working on QAM support for cable, so that may be something to wait for. Chances are though that even with QAM you will have limited choices as it will only be the ujn-encrypted channels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.