Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross-post from the Plasma forum:

I have a Pioneer 503CMX plasma and am looking at upgrading some of my other components. Please advise -- here's my current plan:

Upgrade STB to Sammy 160

Run Sammy to 503 via VGA

Add Series 2 Tivo (don't have a PVR now)

Run Sammy to Tivo via S-vid

Build HTPC (1.5 gig, 80 gig HDD, Holo H3D, Radeon 9000, Dscaler, Powerstrip, etc)

Switch LD, Tivo, VCR through AV Receiver

Run s-vid from AVR to HTPC through Holo H3D

Run HTPC to Pio via DVI

I think I can get the Sammy, Tivo and build HTPC for about $2500. Other options might be to scratch the HTPC and wait for the KD card or to buy a Replay PVR vs. the Tivo. Whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Assume you understand that the H3D out does not go through the HTPC DVI interface. You'll get stunning DVD through the DVI (and PC programs too with super legible text, etc.)

I also assume you will run the sammy to Pio direct to get a component HD picture for HD material. You may want to think about an HD card in the HTPC for archiving HD (and you'll never want to go back to scaled SD....)

Do you have the 5002 card for DVI?

Tim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim - thanks for the reply. I do have the 5002 card and was planning on connecting the Sammy to the plasma via VGA and simultaneously outputting to the PVR via s-vid (always-on 480i is the reason I am leaning toward the Sammy rather than the Sony/Zenith STB's). I am assuming the H3D output would run through the Radeon 9000 which I would connect to the plasma via DVI.

·
Registered
194 Posts
metz'

I am in a similiar situation as you and from I know your set up will work fine. Although, I can't coment on the "sammy" I am recieving the components to my HTPC as we speak.

My set up:

Digital cable STB > Tivo > H/K AVR > Holo3d via S-video

Sony interlaced DVD > Holo3d (superfluous after HTPC built)

HTPC (ATI 9500 pro) > Pio 503 cmx via DVI

A couple of comments: If you are thinking of doing PVR functions thru a Tivo you may want to think about the Holo card in your HTPC. If you want to have the HTPC do the PVR then the Key Digital card may be te way to go. Because the Holo doesn't capture video it merely processes it and makes recording video difficult/impossible. This makes the KD card attractive. That way you can move video processiing away from HTPC and free it up for PVR functions.

The above comments are concerning SD sources, not HD.

I would love to ditch the TIVO and use the HTPC as a PVR. Tivo PQ sucks IMHO. But I think I have to hang onto it since I am going to use the Holo card.

Scott

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott - my thought was that the Holo would clean up not only my old LD's and the VCR output but would help with the Tivo. However, if the quality of the Tivo is that bad then I guess the Holo can only do so much. I heave heard the Holo works wonders with LD -- can anyone comment on it's abilties relative to PVR's?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
The H3D is a wonderful card for SD sources, particularly better ones, but again you'll think even the amazing things it does will pale next to real HD. You know the garbage in story.

Agree with above. With the KD in plasma card and the external HD Leeza & Immersive aSimulator, though initial price is stiff think about tradeoffs/hassle of HTPC. I'll still keep the HTPC for archiving HD material when I move up to one of those, but there are some tradeoffs including WAF and ease of use.

Tim

·
Registered
194 Posts
As with many around here, I am planning on getting the HTPC up and running over the holidays. That said, I am trying to keep my expectations for the Holo realistic. The Tivo is 5-6 years old that I am borrowing to give it a try. I love the functionality anf GUI but play back looked bad on my 32" Panny CRT and now big and bad on the plasma. If the H3d can make the Tivo look good (not great) I will be thoroughly impressed.

Maybe the newer Tivo 1 and Tivo 2 have better 480i PQ.? I should spend some time on the Tivo forum.

My specific WAF remains to be seen and I am anxious:confused:

Scott

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nebari: What type of DVI cable are you using to connect the 9500Pro to the 503 ? PIO says use DVI-D, ATI says DVI-I. I'm confused. Where did you get yours?

Thanks,

RJ.

·
Registered
194 Posts
RJ,

I wish that I could give you first hand knowledge of how my set-up works (or doesn't). However, I am still waiting for my A-tech case to be finished and delivered.

Nevertheless, I ordered a 10' DVI-D cable form Digital Connection at the time that I ordered my DVD-ROM and Holo3Dgraph card. I did e-mail them with the same question that you are asking and they assured me that there would be know problem. This is my understanding. The Pio 5002 card is DVI-D (digital only) so the cable will work. The ATI is DVI-I (analog and digital) and the cable should work here too.

When I looked around I dont think I saw a DVI-I cable.

I noticed the other day that DC is selling some super long DVI cables.

Hope this helps.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.