AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 503 and am looking at upgrading some of my other components. Please advise -- here's my current plan:

Upgrade STB to Sammy 160

Run Sammy to 503 via VGA

Upgrade to Series 2 Tivo (don't have a PVR now)

Run Sammy to Tivo via S-vid

Build HTPC (1.5 gig, 80 gig HDD, Holo H3D, Radeon 9000, Dscaler, Powerstrip, etc)

Switch LD, Tivo, VCR through AV Receiver

Run s-vid from AVR to HTPC through Holo H3D/Radeon

Run HTPC to Pio via DVI from Radeon

I think I can get the Sammy, Tivo and build HTPC for about $2500. Other options might be to scratch the HTPC and wait for the KD card or to buy a Replay PVR vs. the Tivo. Whaddya think?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sounds like a plan, I'd consider getting a HiPix DTV200 card or other HD tuner card to put into the HTPC. That'll give you the ability to record any OTA high def programming onto your hard drive. You can just use the Tivo for the SD stuff. You'll wind up using the VGA out from your HTPC when you're playing back from the HiPix, not really sure why but that's how mine works. I've tried doing a loopback to my video card but doesn't seem to work.

On the DVR, the networking capability of ReplayTV is definitely appealing but I've never had one so can't say how well that actually works. Otherwise, I have a pretty strong bias towards Tivo, their GUI is still VERY strong IMHO and I love them. I would definitely opt for a Series 2 unit as the menu navigation and so forth is faster.

My setup is very similar to what you propose with the exception noted above.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
llogan - thanks for the reply. I was hoping you, rogo and others would chime in....I'm having a tough time making the decision between Replay and Tivo. Everyone seems to agree the Tivo UI and functionality is superior but I like the commercial advance, networking and component output of the Replay.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Understood, just depends how you intend to use it. Questions you might want to ask yourself:

How many DVRs will I ultimately own?

Do I want the ability to upgrade my DVR beyond 35 or 40 hours? If so, I might actually go with a 'Series 1' Tivo that has the space for a second drive.

By the way, there is a way to program your Tivo remote to do a 30 second advance, however, I still prefer the triple fast forward and the auto correction...I'm pretty good at it and it still lets me preview the commercials.

Don't know if you've got satellite service or not, it's not clear from your post. If you have DirecTV then the multiple Tivo thing is cool in that you pay for one subscription and all of the other Tivos mirror off of that subscription. Don't know if ReplayTV allows you to pay for one subscription if you have multiple boxes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
You can upgrade the new HDVR2 Directivo with either a second drive or just replace the first. It comes with a 40gig but you can put in a 120gig for about $100. I have a Pro1000. I have my HTPC feeding the VGA. My Denon 5803 switches the audio and upconverts S-video from the D*tivo to component along with outputting my other component sources (Sony HD200, ExpressVu & DVD player). I have two audio outs from my HTPC to my receiver. One from the MyHD card & one from my audio card (7500). I use a MX-500 remote to do macros to control everything. This set-up works great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You get OTA signals in Livermore, right? Unless the plasma was my only TV, I would skip the Tivo on the plasma and record lots of OTA HD stuff with an HD PVR card. The VGA switching using the card works fine (STB into loopback cable and VGA out from PVR card into plasma). The VGA out on the video card does not get used at all - since the desktop and overlay (non HD preview) window are viewed over DVI.

Also, if you are using DirecTV (and I assume you are if you are thinking of the Samsung T160 rather than the T165, also consider the Sony HD200/Zenith SAT520 which everyone says looks pretty darn good on the Pio. That is what I will get when I dump my RCA DTC100. Howard

·
Registered
674 Posts
News to me, I didn't think the Series 2 DirecTivo combo unit form factor allowed for the addition of a second drive. I'll have to check that out again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
>>Also, if you are using DirecTV (and I assume you are if you are thinking of the Samsung T160 rather than the T165, also consider the Sony HD200/Zenith SAT520

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have replay tv - the original one. The user interface is fine. I think the hardware of the new ones is superior to TIVO - digital audio ... The instant skip is wonderful. I think the bigest question is will they survive the small market for digital video recorders. TIVO is a little bit more established.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You should consider running a DVI video card to the 503CMX. Might give you better PQ than VGA.

bob

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah what he said. I feed everything except what comes from my HiPix through DVI to the plasma. Stuff coming from the HiPix uses VGA output from the HiPix card.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by llogan
News to me, I didn't think the Series 2 DirecTivo combo unit form factor allowed for the addition of a second drive. I'll have to check that out again.
Check over at the Tivo Forum. There's already a company marketing a bracket for 2 drives.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The top reasons I am looking at the HTPC are the Holo H3D running with dscaler and then outputting the resultant "cleaned up" video through a DVI card. I'd pump everything to into the Holo via s-vid from my AV receiver. DVD would obviously come from the HTPC and I could still watch basic TV without booting up the PC through the Samsung VGA. I'd also probably output everything else via the AV receiver's s-vid out so if the HTPC is on the blink we could still watch stuff. hmmm, maybe I need a new AVR that accepts/switches/output via component.....good thing my sales gig has been berry berry good to me this year!

503CMX = $6k

HTPC = +- $1500

STB = $600

PVR = $300 plus subscription

AVR = $500

My wife's been really happy with me for 14 years, but this might put her over the edge!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, you can tell your wife that you would have paid that much for the 503CMX by itself 9 months ago. Such a bargain...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah last time I was over there they were talking about doing it but nobody'd worked it out yet. I only can blow off work so much....lol, guess I have to catch up on my reading.

Ok, looks a little more involved but totally doable, instructions on 9thtee.com are really good. Only concern now is about the ability to dissipate heat with two drives in the smaller amount of space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.