AVS Forum banner

39461 - 39480 of 45952 Posts

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
....is there any reason for not going with the larger RTi6?
Not any good ones :p

@Drumz : I didn't see anyone else address this, so I'll take a stab at it and one of the old-timers can correct me if I say anything too egregiously wrong...

All of the AVRs have the ability because even though it is useless, the manufacturers have to "keep up with the Joneses" and maintain feature parity within their price point. Bi-amping is just one more instance of the triumph of marketing nonsense over actual reality.

While bi-amping in theory might have some positive effect on the sound, it's really only possible to get that if you are literally running the two halves of the speaker from separate dedicated amps or a dedicated amp that has separate power supplies/transformers for each channel. Bi-amping from an AVR is useless because just about all AVRs are running all of their channels from one power supply, so power going to any one channel takes away from power available to the other channels, which defeats the whole purpose of having increased power "headroom" available to the upper and lower halves of your speaker when bi-amping. Speaking more practically, for the ears that most of us have anyway, even if you were to bi-amp the real way with dedicated amps with power to spare, the gains you may get don't really outweigh the expense you are now undertaking for extra amps.

Full disclosure: I've never used dedicated amps, and so do not have direct experience of any sound benefits to be gained from them, with or without bi-amping. Many folks on this forum use dedicated amps in their setups. I don't know who, if any, bi-amps with them.

More full disclosure: my RT800i fronts are bi-amped to my Yammie RX-A700 because at the time I built the system just about two years ago, 1) I knew I wasn't going to have rear surrounds for the foreseeable future and so would have 2 spare channels, and 2) I didn't know any better. Now it's just too much of a pain in the ass to pull everything out of the entertainment unit and undo it, so I leave it that way until I figure out how to put rear surrounds into my HT space.
Bi-amping w AVR= worthless.
Bi-amping with dedicated amps = worthless 99% of the time unless you've got REALLY GOOD gear (which my and your gear doesnt qualify as)

I've done bi-amping with a dedicated amp before and no difference even with my LSI 15's. The only real difference it makes is a bit more clarity at volumes so loud they are unrealistic. Been there done that, wasn't worth the work.

The only "real" benefits of bi-amping are when you go truly "active" by removing the crossover and connecting directly from the amp to speakers. Its normally not worth doing so dont even stress it.

Get the right amount of wattage on your speakers and it wont be something you worry about. Most folks suggest something in the 200 wpc @ 8 ohms for the RTi A line. I'd say Emotiva, Parasound, Carver, Outlaw, ATI are good brands to checkout. I'm not a huge Emo fan, but they are good for what they are. You could get a 2 or 3 channel amp for your fronts and that would be fine. The more speakers you take off your AVR the more wattage it can provide to what remains. Surrounds & Rear Surrounds are easy to drive so no need to amp them unless you just want to (which is ok).

Even just a really good 2 channel amp to handle your fronts would work as well, and if you like music would ensure when listening to stereo that you've got adequate power.

I had a Carver AV-705x on my LSi 5 channel for years, never felt it was lacking. That said the disease of upgraditius hit me and I bought a B&K 200.5 which is 375 wpc @ 4 ohms, and let me tell you my house is shaking when I turn it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I saw an incredible deal on some Polk Monitor 60 Series II speakers for $109 each. Currently have a four speaker Monitor 40-II + PSW 111 in my bedroom which is 12' x 12'. Is this room too SMALL to replace one pair of Monitor 40???

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I saw an incredible deal on some Polk Monitor 60 Series II speakers for $109 each. Currently have a four speaker Monitor 40-II + PSW 111 in my bedroom which is 12' x 12'. Is this room too SMALL to replace one pair of Monitor 40???
you would gain so little with the 60 over the 40 when using a subwoofer. That being said when using a subwoofer the 60 should perform just like the 60 in your space if you like the looks of floor standars better.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you go with the Rti6's just remember that as far as book shelf speakers go they are gigantic. Mine are on stands but if you hang them from the walls they won't exactly disappear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, needing a little help with a question that has probably already been asked before but I'm too lazy to search for

I'm looking into doing in wall speakers, the RC85i front and RC80i rears, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which center will match these? I've heard you're suppose to timbre-match your speakers for best result but I can't find out exactly which in wall center matches those. Would it be the SC-C?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hey guys, needing a little help with a question that has probably already been asked before but I'm too lazy to search for

I'm looking into doing in wall speakers, the RC85i front and RC80i rears, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which center will match these? I've heard you're suppose to timbre-match your speakers for best result but I can't find out exactly which in wall center matches those. Would it be the SC-C?

Thanks for your help.
It looks like the sc-c is probably the closest match. Have you thought about moving up to something like the 65RT which is the same price(if buying from the ebay store) for a front three as the pair and center you are looking at but matches up with the RTi line as opposed to the monitor line?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like the sc-c is probably the closest match. Have you thought about moving up to something like the 65RT which is the same price(if buying from the ebay store) for a front three as the pair and center you are looking at but matches up with the RTi line as opposed to the monitor line?
I was only looking at entry line because I didn't realize the next line up was that close in pricing. Then I'd go with the 255c-RT for the center and what for the rear, 620, 70 or 90 RT?

By going eBay should I be worried about getting a refurb 2 year warranty vs spending $40 more on Amazon and getting the lifetime warranty? Has anyone had issues going refurb?

Thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was only looking at entry line because I didn't realize the next line up was that close in pricing. Then I'd go with the 255c-RT for the center and what for the rear, 620, 70 or 90 RT?

By going eBay should I be worried about getting a refurb 2 year warranty vs spending $40 more on Amazon and getting the lifetime warranty? Has anyone had issues going refurb?

Thanks
If you are buying from the Polk eBay store, DO NOT worry about buying refurb speakers. I bought a 255C-RT center channel from them and I've been using it almost a year and a half. Good as new. If you are going to have any issues, chances are you are going to have them in the first year or two anyway.

As Supakats said above, and only if your budget allows, go for the 65RTs for fronts if you elect to go with the 255C-RT for a center. Taking it one step further up the chain, the 265RTs are phenomenal speakers but you will need some power to make them shine. I have 265RTs and a 255C-RT up front (@ 200w/channel), 65RTs as side surrounds and RC80i's (in-ceiling) for my rear surrounds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Polk CS2 series II center channel speaker paired with RTi8 fronts. However, the boss (wife) says the center speaker is too bulky and hates how it blocks a portion of the TV on top of our cabinet. Is there a Polk center alternative that pairs well with the RTi8s and is smaller in size?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have the Polk CS2 series II center channel speaker paired with RTi8 fronts. However, the boss (wife) says the center speaker is too bulky and hates how it blocks a portion of the TV on top of our cabinet. Is there a Polk center alternative that pairs well with the RTi8s and is smaller in size?
The CsiA4 is smaller but also weaker. I'd recommend that you keep the CS2 (or even move up to a larger center such as the Csi5 that actually matches your Rti8's) and build a riser using some shelf material from a home improvement store... basically something about the size of a shoebox to raise the TV up a few inches.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are buying from the Polk eBay store, DO NOT worry about buying refurb speakers. I bought a 255C-RT center channel from them and I've been using it almost a year and a half. Good as new. If you are going to have any issues, chances are you are going to have them in the first year or two anyway.

As Supakats said above, and only if your budget allows, go for the 65RTs for fronts if you elect to go with the 255C-RT for a center. Taking it one step further up the chain, the 265RTs are phenomenal speakers but you will need some power to make them shine. I have 265RTs and a 255C-RT up front (@ 200w/channel), 65RTs as side surrounds and RC80i's (in-ceiling) for my rear surrounds.
I've have an older Marantz SR5006 pushing 100w per channel. I think I'm going to do the 65RT front, 255C-RT center and then 70RT for rears. I think it should push those pretty well?

Is there any reason to get something cheaper for rears other then price?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The CsiA4 is smaller but also weaker. I'd recommend that you keep the CS2 (or even move up to a larger center such as the Csi5 that actually matches your Rti8's) and build a riser using some shelf material from a home improvement store... basically something about the size of a shoebox to raise the TV up a few inches.
The TV is wall mounted. I have no issue in moving the wall up a few inches, but the center of the TV is already about 4" higher than eye level. Looking up at a TV is not exactly optimal!

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
The TV is wall mounted. I have no issue in moving the wall up a few inches, but the center of the TV is already about 4" higher than eye level. Looking up at a TV is not exactly optimal!
Depends.... mine is about that high and I'd have no problem moving it higher.... just angle it downward a bit if nothing else...

Old pic but accurate in regards to the TV

Also I think the CSi5 can be wallmounted.... do that too....

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've have an older Marantz SR5006 pushing 100w per channel. I think I'm going to do the 65RT front, 255C-RT center and then 70RT for rears. I think it should push those pretty well?

Is there any reason to get something cheaper for rears other then price?
You should be very happy with that set up. If you do not have a sub in your room to do the heavy lifting, I highly recommend considering it. My sub compliments my in-walls very well and I am about to add a 2nd. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Surround Speakers?

I'm finally getting around to upgrading the surround speakers in my 7.1 setup. My front soundstage is:

Fronts: Polk Monitor70 II
Center: Polk CS2 II
Sub: HSU VTF-15H

At the moment, I'm just using some Pioneer bookshelf speakers for my 4 surrounds. I'd assume a logical choice would be the Monitor40s, but I was wondering if there are any other speakers I should look at that would complement my Polk speakers? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I'm finally getting around to upgrading the surround speakers in my 7.1 setup. My front soundstage is:

Fronts: Polk Monitor70 II
Center: Polk CS2 II
Sub: HSU VTF-15H

At the moment, I'm just using some Pioneer bookshelf speakers for my 4 surrounds. I'd assume a logical choice would be the Monitor40s, but I was wondering if there are any other speakers I should look at that would complement my Polk speakers? Thanks for the help.
I agree that the Monitor40's would be a logical choice, and right now you get get them at newegg.com (in black only) for $120 a pair shipped (the lowest I can recall seeing them listed for was $110 with a Visa Checkout discount).

You didn't specify whether budget or footprint were an issue, but assuming you have room for them you can also get the Monitor60's (also only in black) at newegg today for $100 each (again, within $10 of the lowest price I can recall including the VCO discount).

If footprint is an issue, you could opt for the OWM5 (or even the OWM3), which are a timbre match for the Monitor series. I have a similar setup to yours, with 75t's for mains and a CS2 Series II center (plus 55t for front wides), and I am using three sets of OWM5's for SL/R, SBL/R, and FHL/R. They have the convenience of offering numerous mounting/placement options; I have the FH's wall-mounted on articulating brackets, the surrounds face-mounted to built-in cabinetry, and the SB's are standing on a mantlepiece behind the MLP. The OWM5's are available from Polk Audio's eBay store NIB for $170 a pair shipped in either black or white finish. The OWM3's are currently available at Crutchfied.com or Amazon.com for $100 a pair in either black or white finish; they could be a good candidate for SB together with the OWM5 as surrounds.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Impulse bought a set of RTi A7's this weekend - Fry's had them on clearance for $300/pair. :eek:

Currently have an Onkyo TX-SR607 running my system, everything I've read seems to suggest this is not nearly enough power for these - but should I be fine running these crossed over at 80Hz or so in the interim? Trying to wait it out on an AVR with HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 so I'm not having to replace it again when I get a 4KTV next year.

Watched a couple of movies last night (The Dark Knight and TRON: Legacy) with the volume cranked and didn't seem to hear any distortion/popping/etc.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Impulse bought a set of RTi A7's this weekend - Fry's had them on clearance for $300/pair. :eek:

Currently have an Onkyo TX-SR607 running my system, everything I've read seems to suggest this is not nearly enough power for these - but should I be fine running these crossed over at 80Hz or so in the interim? Trying to wait it out on an AVR with HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 so I'm not having to replace it again when I get a 4KTV next year.

Watched a couple of movies last night (The Dark Knight and TRON: Legacy) with the volume cranked and didn't seem to hear any distortion/popping/etc.
That's a hell of a price. Nice pick up.

Reactions: Brien

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

There is always debate weather the avr is enough to drive any speaker well, it's more religion then anything else. If your happy with the sound and don't hear distortion at your volume level. Don't worry about it. And yes if you are using a sub crossing over at 80 makes the speaker require less power to get to volume.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Here's what I used to elevate a 55 inch LCD HDTV and eliminate the screen blockage caused by a Polk CSR center speaker placed similarly to your CS2. IIRC, the CSR is slightly taller than the CS2.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HVM5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

39461 - 39480 of 45952 Posts