AVS Forum banner

39661 - 39680 of 45952 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Just got the RTI A9's the silver Halo around the speakers is too bright for me, can it be removed or is it physically attached by glue to the speaker? My plan is to paint it a dark gun metal grey if it is removable away from the speakers it surrounds.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quick update on my "little" project:

Polk 265-RT are at home, and as usual, these things are bigger than expected........

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Kit Feet arrived as part of Polk's warranty program.

RTi A9 - open cabinet surgery commence!

Sad part of the process - I sold one of my XPA-2's
But, with that money I purchased a second XPA-5. It should arrive tomorrow........so, my room is a mess at the moment:

Yep, the new XPA-5 is going to be installed at the right hand of my AV console.

Do you recall or remember if the silver plastic around the speakers was removable?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Do you recall or remember if the silver plastic around the speakers was removable?
Yes, you can remove them. They are secured by screws (no glue involved at all).

Don't forget to post some pics after you are done with your project and congrats on your new speakers.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My only complaint about the new RT 10's were the screw holes with the inserts for the stabilizer posts I had to run a 1/4-20 tap in them to actually be able to get the screws in cause of all the glue to hold them has anyone else had this issue?:confused:

·
Registered
667 Posts
any advice on the r150's?

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Just got the RTI A9's the silver Halo around the speakers is too bright for me, can it be removed or is it physically attached by glue to the speaker? My plan is to paint it a dark gun metal grey if it is removable away from the speakers it surrounds.
I dont believe that you can remove that piece without removing the whole woofer.

That said the grills dont subtract from the sound to any significant extent so you could likely just leave the grills on, and if its still bothering you, hit it with a really thick sharpie to tone it down a bit.

**edit** I stand corrected by CR above.... Never tried to take mine apart so I wouldnt know. The LSi's dont have this problem lol....

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I dont believe that you can remove that piece without removing the whole woofer.

That said the grills dont subtract from the sound to any significant extent so you could likely just leave the grills on, and if its still bothering you, hit it with a really thick sharpie to tone it down a bit.

**edit** I stand corrected by CR above.... Never tried to take mine apart so I wouldnt know. The LSi's dont have this problem lol....
Well, "technically" we are both correct. You can remove only the silver ring without taking out the drivers.

The trick is to lay the speaker down on a carpet to easily remove the screws. Then you just need to pray a bit the ring to take it out without the need of removing the driver itself (both are held by the same screws).

So, if you try to remove all the screws while the speaker is standing, the weight of the magnet will push the driver and ring out of the cabinet and you are risking on damaging the driver, ring and wood veneer at the cabinet. Therefore, you are correct too!

;)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Well, "technically" we are both correct. You can remove only the silver ring without taking out the drivers.

The trick is to lay the speaker down on a carpet to easily remove the screws. Then you just need to pray a bit the ring to take it out without the need of removing the driver itself (both are held by the same screws).

So, if you try to remove all the screws while the speaker is standing, the weight of the magnet will push the driver and ring out of the cabinet and you are risking on damaging the driver, ring and wood veneer at the cabinet. Therefore, you are correct too!

;)

I painted the port hole pieces black on the L C R. I will remove them tonight and hit it with some gunmetal plasti dip which will allow me to remove it without any signs as it is a rubber type paint.

I will post pictures once I am done.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

I like the naked look of the speakers....I just do not like the bright silver when I am watching TV in the dark.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Well I just finished the first one, the silver halo's are now more darker gunmetal and the speakers look a lot better. I will post pictures tomorrow as it is fairly dark in the HT room.

No more silver halo distractions and the speakers look a little more expensive.

I need to figure out how to paint the silver around the tweeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to Polk, but they're one of the main brands I can buy locally.

I'm looking to buy a bigger center channel, and am wondering about the Polk CS10 and Monitor15C. The Monitor15C has an "overlapping" setup so the mids seem to be mounted closer together. With all the talk about "off axis phase cancellation" does anyone know if the Monitor15C works any better because of its design?
Do the two centers have comparable drivers? (performance and quality)

thanks,
(JBL MR Center, MR26)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm new to Polk, but they're one of the main brands I can buy locally.

I'm looking to buy a bigger center channel, and am wondering about the Polk CS10 and Monitor15C. The Monitor15C has an "overlapping" setup so the mids seem to be mounted closer together. With all the talk about "off axis phase cancellation" does anyone know if the Monitor15C works any better because of its design?
Do the two centers have comparable drivers? (performance and quality)

thanks, I'll update my "what speakers do I have" asap.
(JBL MR Center, MR26)
The Polk center may not sound good with your JBL MR26 fronts, but you could try. The 25C is a bigger and better center than the 15C. I think the CS10 and 15C are pretty comparable. I don't know about the off axis cancellation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a quick question here. I have a 2 channel set up, was thinking of getting a 5.1 channel receiver and doing a 3.1 set up for movies. for some reason having rear speakers does not interest me.

I have polk TSX330T fronts right which i really like, I have found these center channels for between 50 and100 bucks, the CS1, CS2 monitor 25C, monitor 15C

I am wondering if any of those will match up alright with my mains, or would I be better off to stick with a TSX center channel to get a correct match, I cant find a good deal on a CSX center at the moment.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have a quick question here. I have a 2 channel set up, was thinking of getting a 5.1 channel receiver and doing a 3.1 set up for movies. for some reason having rear speakers does not interest me.

I have polk TSX330T fronts right which i really like, I have found these center channels for between 50 and100 bucks, the CS1, CS2 monitor 25C, monitor 15C

I am wondering if any of those will match up alright with my mains, or would I be better off to stick with a TSX center channel to get a correct match, I cant find a good deal on a CSX center at the moment.

thanks.

I would go with the correct center for looks and performance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Save a couple bucks, go with the Monitor 40's, if not the 30's. If you've got a decent sub the 60's are overkill. Although personally I'd pony up for the RTi or RTi A line and center as they are a big improvement over polks budget stuff (which the monitor line is from).

Use Polks ebay website as they offer refurbs (that normally look like new) and at a deep discount.

My .02 cents from a former Monitor 5 channel setup and a Monitor 3 channel bedroom setup.
Thanks for the tip! I've heard the RTI speakers are nice but thought them to be a little expensive. I'll look into the refurb units.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do not disagree.... however Monitor 60's dont exactly bring the bass either. Trust me I ran em with a dedicated 5 channel Carver amp and the magic in the low end didnt happen till I got my eD A2-300 sub (for 200 on the used market). I even had the Polk PSW125 and man was that a waste at MSRP.

Regardless Monitor 60's will do "better" than the 40's granted, but the goal should be a properly setup system which SHOULD always include a subwoofer. Heck they make some that are so small they can fit under a chair or loveseat to solve any WAF factors.

Plus the 40's can be wallmounted to keep little ones from poking the woofers, knocking them over, etc.

Again just my thought but if I hadnt got my LSi 15's for a song, I'd likely be rocking a set of LSi 7's wallmounted with a LSiC and with my sub be more than happy.

But to each his own, I simply dont know of a set of speakers out there that will do LFE justice, so it to me is always assumed a sub of some sort is going to be added. Be it Infinite Baffle, Ported, Sealed and regardless of size. Too many movies really require some decent LFE for the full experience.

With that I will step away for a bit with my piece said.

There is room for all opinions in audio, and as long as it blows your sack back, I am happy for you.
I actually do have a 10" sub that works quite nicely with my current system. I plan to update that in the future too.

Couldn't find any amazing deal on ebay for polk bookshelf speakers but I will keep looking.

·
Registered
667 Posts
ABC warehouse has the R150's at a good price and they sound good;)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
any advice on the r150's?
ABC warehouse has the R150's at a good price and they sound good;)
I run one of my 5.1 systems using 4 x R150s, a CSR center and BIC H100 12" subwoofer. The AVR is a Sony STR-DG1000. I've used this rig for about 7 years and I still like the sound it produces. Crutchfield seems to always have the R150 available at a good price (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107R150/Polk-Audio-R150.html?tp=186)

FWIW, my other 5.1 system uses 2 x T15 (FL/FR), a CS1 center, 2 x Monitor 30 (SL/SR) and an BIC F-12 12" subwoofer. The AVR is a Yamaha RX-V477. I'm happy with this rig as well.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Cool! So, you can run the speakers naked all the time. I assume there are no little ones at your home as that seems to be the main concern of other folks of not removing the grills from the speakers. I like mine naked too............yeah, I'm talking at the speakers too. :p

Now, let's talk about that subwoofer that you have at the pic. Is that a Marty subwoofer?

39661 - 39680 of 45952 Posts