AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46012 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL /forum/post/0

"Polkie" is offensive to true Polkers. That is the correct term. Polker.

(I have some LS70s in the basement, but they don't get used much.)

Well excuse my ignorance! Ill have to catch up on my polkerisms

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulesqb /forum/post/0

Main: RTI10s

Center: CSi5

Surround: FXI30s

Back:RTi15s

Just doing a little research from Iraq and was wondering how big the difference is between the RTi8, 10 and 12's. I have read the specs, but I won't be able to actually listen to the speakers for awhile.

Main: R50

Surround: R30

Rear: R15

Right now I have the R series speakers packed up back home, but was thinking of upgrading when I get back. I thought I'd try to get some opinions out of the "Polkers" on here.

Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
They all have there own sound and it's not something that is easily described. If you plan on using a sub, look into the 8's and 10's, if your not going to be using a sub you'll want the 12's. The 10's and 12's are 4ohm speakers (Polk lists them as 8 but they are not) and require a hefty amp, only flagship recievers and dedicated amps should be used with them with means more $$ on the electronics side. They Polk forum pretty much always has a debate going on between the 8's and 10's and is a good place to get some additional opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My plan was to get an SVS PB10 when I get back for my sub, and an HK 630 or 635 to drive the speakers. So you think I can get by with the 8's or 10's if I have a sub like that?

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallerjw /forum/post/0

My plan was to get an SVS PB10 when I get back for my sub, and an HK 630 or 635 to drive the speakers. So you think I can get by with the 8's or 10's if I have a sub like that?

Thanks again!!

Absolutely. I have the Rti 8s and my little boston acoustics sub does a splendid job especially for music , its a little weak when it comes to movie soundtracks but am sure a SVS PB10 should be more than adequate. Btw. I'm assuming you are in the military service there..if so keep up the great job and a merry christmas to you and your team.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpcasso /forum/post/0

Absolutely. I have the Rti 8s and my little boston acoustics sub does a splendid job especially for music , its a little weak when it comes to movie soundtracks but am sure a SVS PB10 should be more than adequate. Btw. I'm assuming you are in the military service there..if so keep up the great job and a merry christmas to you and your team.

You are correct. Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

Looks like I'll have to go listen to some RTi8's when I get back!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Another Polk guy checking in.

RT2000i mains

Monitor 5jr surrounds

CS245i center

Although they could be said to be a tad bright, and my particular center is a wee bit anemic, I have been really pleased with them for the past 5 years. (15 years with the surrounds)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own:

RTI70's (Mains)

CSI40 (Center)

RTI28's (Rears)

CSI30 (was my rear center, now not in use)

I really enjoy my speakers paired with a Definitive Supercube I, and running off a Denon 3806.

Andrew

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:

Well excuse my ignorance! Ill have to catch up on my polkerisms

Once again you offended all of us. The correct term is Polkism. Do your homework before you use such slurs.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusonv /forum/post/0

They all have there own sound and it's not something that is easily described. If you plan on using a sub, look into the 8's and 10's, if your not going to be using a sub you'll want the 12's. The 10's and 12's are 4ohm speakers (Polk lists them as 8 but they are not) and require a hefty amp, only flagship recievers and dedicated amps should be used with them with means more $$ on the electronics side. They Polk forum pretty much always has a debate going on between the 8's and 10's and is a good place to get some additional opinions.

fergusonv - I have a Denon 3805 with the 10s. Is that good eough?? Also should i have it set on 4 or 8 ohms?? Thanks for the help.

fallerjw - keep up the great work and return home safe! Happy holidays!

·
Registered
449 Posts
One other thing: I'm relatively new to this stuff. I bought my Polks at CC as they sounded great to me. How do the Polks compare to some of the brands that I've been reading about in these forums: Paradigm, Axiom, Onix. Just curious what some of you think.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 /forum/post/0

Once again you offended all of us. The correct term is Polkism. Do your homework before you use such slurs.

woah! Maybe there should be a required online course in "polkology" before purchasing polk speakers....... please don't tell me theres one...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Quote:

One other thing: I'm relatively new to this stuff. I bought my Polks at CC as they sounded great to me. How do the Polks compare to some of the brands that I've been reading about in these forums: Paradigm, Axiom, Onix. Just curious what some of you think.

The most important thing is that the speakers you bought sound great to YOU. I personally have not listened to the Axiom or Onix speakers as those are sold via the internet but can say that I preferred the sound of the Rti line polks to the paradigms I auditioned(sorry cant remember the exact model ).

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:

woah! Maybe there should be a required online course in "polkology" before purchasing polk speakers....... please don't tell me theres one...

Just refer to your Polktionary and become familiar with the terminology

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:

I have had Paradigm Mini Monitors, Kef 104/2, Spica 50s, Magnepan SMGs, and just recently Ascends! I still prefer my Polk RT800s!

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:

The most important thing is that the speakers you bought sound great to YOU. I personally have not listened to the Axiom or Onix speakers as those are sold via the internet but can say that I preferred the sound of the Rti line polks to the paradigms I auditioned(sorry cant remember the exact model ).

pimpcasso - Thanks. I agree with you and they do sound great to me. I've just never had an occasion to audition the others and have gone through these threads and have read some great things. I got the impression from some of the threads I've seen that Polk is almost considered low-end. So I was wondering if I am missing something becuase I think they sound fantastic.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 /forum/post/0

I have had Paradigm Mini Monitors, Kef 104/2, Spica 50s, Magnepan SMGs, and just recently Ascends! I still prefer my Polk RT800s!

Thanks Doc. I was looking to see if anyone had experience with some of the others.

Sorry if I have steered this thread away from its original intention!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:

pimpcasso - Thanks. I agree with you and they do sound great to me. I've just never had an occasion to audition the others and have gone through these threads and have read some great things. I got the impression from some of the threads I've seen that Polk is almost considered low-end. So I was wondering if I am missing something becuase I think they sound fantastic.

Hence the reason for starting this thread. It seems there has been a lot of hoopla regarding so many other speakers on this forum and very little praise for these , IMHO, greatly underrated speakers. Hopefully by reading testimonials here, more people will appreciate the speakers .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cheers everyone

Just wanted to check in as well.

My current 5.1 setup:

Fronts: RTi8's

Center: CSi40

Surrounds: RTi38's

Sub: SVS PB10

Driven by Pioneer Elite 54tx

The sound is oh so sweet!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mulesqb,

IMHO it's barely enough for the 10's it wouldnt be enough for the 12's.

As far as set to 4 or 8 ohm, well let me try to explain that a little. They are 4 ohm speakers. Your AVR should be set to 8ohm however and the reason is because if you set it to 4 ohm then the rail voltage in your amp will be limited and you will loose performance from the amp. If I were a Denon tech I would tell you to set it to 4 for warranty purposes. But what it comes down to is that switch is there to limit rail voltage and that's not something I would do. It would be a safer way to run the amp but it will cost you in performance.

21 - 40 of 46012 Posts