AVS Forum banner

45941 - 45960 of 46012 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
thought Polk recommended the 702s be mounted 6'-8' above the floor?? I'm planning on mounting mine to the wall (not an easy feat with lath/plaster walls...). I will say that I'm quite glad I pulled the trigger on them. The price was great, and the do sound awesome.
Not everyone can mount these on a wall( apartment or condo dwellers) thus I solved it with appropriate stands.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not everyone can mount these on a wall( apartment or condo dwellers) thus I solved it with appropriate stands.
Valid point. I thought about the stands...but...with a 1 1/2 yr old German Shepard (spaz)...I figured they'd end up on the floor more often than not. I finally got mine mounted today - they seem to be solid...at 8' above the floor, if they're not...they won't be much good if they hit the floor. They sound quite good at that height.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have one wall where the 702s are too big to mount. If that was not the case, I would've jump on them years ago when I bought the 707s and 706. I use an older version of the Polk dipole/bipole FXi surround speakers that sound great.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I have one wall where the 702s are too big to mount. If that was not the case, I would've jump on them years ago when I bought the 707s and 706. I use an older version of the Polk dipole/bipole FXi surround speakers that sound great.
That's a bummer, I ran the FXi surround speakers for years.....the 702's flat blow them away........

Valid point. I thought about the stands...but...with a 1 1/2 yr old German Shepard (spaz)...I figured they'd end up on the floor more often than not. I finally got mine mounted today - they seem to be solid...at 8' above the floor, if they're not...they won't be much good if they hit the floor. They sound quite good at that height.
Dude, I dig the Major Matt Mason avatar. I had those when I was a wee little snapper including the space crawler.....

·
Registered
633 Posts
That's a bummer, I ran the FXi surround speakers for years.....the 702's flat blow them away........

Dude, I dig the Major Matt Mason avatar. I had those when I was a wee little snapper including the space crawler.....
I still have mine...never had any of the 'goodies' though - I was late to the party...as usual :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Guys, check your sources. This an update on my brightness situation. For months I struggled with trying to reduce brightness on speakers in different ways. The minute i switched from Spotify/GooglePlay to CDs, all brightness away. Seems with better speakers, worse sources don't play well. The Spotiyf still sounds good on Sonos but not on better speakers. Go figure!
I haven't used my cd players as much because I have ripped all my CDs into my NAS. I just play my audio files through Sonos, Bluesound, or RaspberryPi. Too many ways to keep me away from a paid streaming subscription. I do stream sometimes but only via free subscription. I still use my universal CD player sometimes to play multi-ch SACD/DVD-Audio for nostalgia. But even those I have ripped too, and play via Zidoo.

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz NR1609, Polk RTI LCR and Surrounds
150 Posts
Really late to this thread but I have been using Polk RTI's since 2005/2006, have 6 inch driver book shelves as fronts, 4 inch drivers as rears, and the center. Very pleased with them but thinking of going all out and just upgrading to the LSiM series 707 fronts, 704 center, and 702 FX surrounds

Here's a time machine photo [No title] (RIP my sweet SXRD)

·
Registered
949 Posts

I have a pair of 702's and 706 in storage. If I decide to keep them I'll go with either 705's for fronts or 702's as surrounds, depending on what's available on the used /closeout market. It's either those or Infinity IL60's etc but the amps need repair (broken switches).

I also got Major Matt and the spaceship when I was a kid. Who am I fooling. I still am a kid! I have more invested in big-kid toys then my 401k. :oops:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a pair of 702's and 706 in storage. If I decide to keep them I'll go with either 705's for fronts or 702's as surrounds, depending on what's available on the used /closeout market. It's either those or Infinity IL60's etc but the amps need repair (broken switches).

I also got Major Matt and the spaceship when I was a kid. Who am I fooling. I still am a kid! I have more invested in big-kid toys then my 401k. :oops:
Well...the 702's just passed the 'reality' test. Last night there was something that came out that freaked our German Shepard out and he was certain it was coming from the back of the house (and he is not dumb by any stretch of the imagination)...lol...

So, right now, I'm running Polk Monitor 60 Series II towers, a Polk CS2 Series II center, the 702's for surrounds and Klipsch SW450 Sub and RP-140SA Atmos. I also have a Sony sub. I just retired some Marantz HD-440s that still sound awesome, 40 yrs on...and some Community Series CS35s that I re-purposed from my DJ days...

And yes - I also have more invested in toys than my 401k...lol...mostly Batman (classic stuff)...but Major Matt is along for the ride.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Really late to this thread but I have been using Polk RTI's since 2005/2006, have 6 inch driver book shelves as fronts, 4 inch drivers as rears, and the center. Very pleased with them but thinking of going all out and just upgrading to the LSiM series 707 fronts, 704 center, and 702 FX surrounds

Here's a time machine photo [No title] (RIP my sweet SXRD)
Yeah, I keep checking this thread and I keep thinking about upgrading my RT1000i, CS400i and f/x300is to something newer....but I just can't - they still sound good to me

Latest setup (did get Klipsch Dolby Atmos add-on modules):

I'm pretty sure that one of the subs in the RT1000i is completely blown but I don't really need subs anyway (apartment living)
...And sure....the speaker cabinets have seen better days and some of the trim has started to peal...

These survived a cross country trip and three subsequent moves. Don't know about getting rid of them until they really fall apart

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Has anyone tried using blu tack on your LSIM 706C center channel speaker when placing it on stand? The speaker is such a huge center channel that Im wondering if it creates a lot of vibration that might be tamed using blu tack on the speakers feet before putting it on a stand?

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Has anyone tried using blu tack on your LSIM 706C center channel speaker when placing it on stand? The speaker is such a huge center channel that Im wondering if it creates a lot of vibration that might be tamed using blu tack on the speakers feet before putting it on a stand?
I have my center on a glass stand and have no vibration or none that I can hear with all the other speakers doing their job. That speaker produces no bass, so I see no reason it would vibrate. Put the speaker on the stand and see what it does first before shelling out your doh. Also, these speakers already have those rubber noise isolation thingies.

Reactions: mattg3

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Do you have any surrounds in living room setup?

45941 - 45960 of 46012 Posts