AVS Forum banner

45981 - 46000 of 46020 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Any alternatives to Polk 706C center channel to go along with 707s and 702s?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The 706C is still available but price is higher.

Some alternatives might be Canton. The 556 has a really nice ceramic tweeter and is a 3 way. Just a bit less expensive than the Polk.

Emotiva has a couple of really nice centers too, the C1+ and C2+

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Recently replaced my LSiM 705s in my HT with Polk Legend L200s. Have to say I am very impressed with them, especially how well they image. The stereo sweet spot with my 705s was very small and you had to be right in the middle to get a good stereo image, but the L200s give you the feeling of a phantom center image even sitting a seat or two over from center, it’s pretty cool. Also, the sound is phenomenal and so accurate across the full spectrum. I am running them crossed at 40 Hz and they handle it easily at about -15mv. Truly they are a step up from the LSiM line.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
The 706C is still available but price is higher.

Some alternatives might be Canton. The 556 has a really nice ceramic tweeter and is a 3 way. Just a bit less expensive than the Polk.

Emotiva has a couple of really nice centers too, the C1+ and C2+
Thanks. I guess I'm in the minority here but the 706C at ear level 7.5 ft from my listening position can be harsh at times with some voices.Ive tried many setting with my Yamaha receiver to no avail. might just be time to try another brand in the hope that it matches with the LSIM line sound signature.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The prices on amazon are half off which is not bad and is consistent with what the friends and family sale from Polk has normally been.

If you are holding out hope for a 70% Adorama discount those days are probably long gone. The LSiM line has been discontinued so once all of the remaining stock is gone it's not likely getting replenished.

I too wanted a set of 707's but was unable to find any left in midnight mahogany. It's the same story with the 703 bookshelf speakers. The only (greater than 50% off) sale I caught was the Adorama closeout sale on the 702 surround speakers.

Despite that I am happy with the LSiM system I ended up with. My enjoyment continues to grow as the speakers are breaking in and sounding even better.

FWIW...... Much of what I have read indicates that the 705s were the sweet spot of the series and more balanced. I suppose you may never know for sure, but maybe you got the better speakers. I got my 703s on teh deep deep discount from Adorama, so I consider myself very lucky for sure.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Thanks. I guess I'm in the minority here but the 706C at ear level 7.5 ft from my listening position can be harsh at times with some voices.Ive tried many setting with my Yamaha receiver to no avail. might just be time to try another brand in the hope that it matches with the LSIM line sound signature.
The tweeter is hot on-axis on the LSiM line. The best place to sit is about 15* off-axis.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
The tweeter is hot on-axis on the LSiM line. The best place to sit is about 15* off-axis.
Thanks, so if I move the speaker to either side under the screen it might get rid of harshness(dont want to move my seat since its perfect for screen and other speakers)? Wonder if I got a lower stand so center would be a foot or so below my ear level to get rid of harshness?

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz NR1609, Polk RTI LCR and Surrounds
171 Posts
Recently replaced my LSiM 705s in my HT with Polk Legend L200s. Have to say I am very impressed with them, especially how well they image. The stereo sweet spot with my 705s was very small and you had to be right in the middle to get a good stereo image, but the L200s give you the feeling of a phantom center image even sitting a seat or two over from center, it’s pretty cool. Also, the sound is phenomenal and so accurate across the full spectrum. I am running them crossed at 40 Hz and they handle it easily at about -15mv. Truly they are a step up from the LSiM line.
Any issues driving them since they are 4 ohm?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
The other thing about the Legend L200's that hit me right away was how detailed they are. I watch the same movies frequently, a lot of times because I'm familiar with the material so it helps me when I'm testing my setup. And when I watched with the L200's, I would say at least 5 or 6 times in a movie I would hear a sound or some instrument playing that I had never heard before, and was like "how have I watched this movie 50 times and never heard that or never noticed it before?". So, that was another sign to me that these speakers are going to be very good for HT use. Between the imaging, details and dynamics, these speakers have really got me excited to sit down and watch a movie!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have the 704c and found the distance of 8.8 to 9.0 feet to be just about ideal for my room. I tried it closer and didn't like it nearly as much, and farther away put me right up against the wall, so that didn't quite work well either.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
I have the 704c and found the distance of 8.8 to 9.0 feet to be just about ideal for my room. I tried it closer and didn't like it nearly as much, and farther away put me right up against the wall, so that didn't quite work well either.
Unfortunately at 7.5 Im up against the wall(condo life LOL). Im wondering if off axis(which will look weird for a center but thats okay) or perhaps dropping it below my ear level to a low stand might work? Did you find the 704C a bit harsh and honky with certain male and female voices that have a deep tone? Everything else is great but once you hear the problem you cant not hear it.I actually thought of trying another center but that would ruin the whole LSIM thing I have going.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Unfortunately at 7.5 Im up against the wall(condo life LOL). Im wondering if off axis(which will look weird for a center but thats okay) or perhaps dropping it below my ear level to a low stand might work? Did you find the 704C a bit harsh and honky with certain male and female voices that have a deep tone? Everything else is great but once you hear the problem you cant not hear it.I actually thought of trying another center but that would ruin the whole LSIM thing I have going.
When it was closer to me, I did feel the male voice tones were stronger. I have my center on a 22" Sanus SFC22-B1 stand and have it tilted up to point to just a bit below ear level and it works pretty great I think.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Any alternatives to Polk 706C center channel to go along with 707s and 702s?
I use a 703 for my center channel along with 705s left and right and 4 702s.

Reactions: mattg3

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
use a 703 for my center channel along with 705s left and right and 4 702s.
Thats a thought.I wonder if the 703 has different sound signature to the 706C? I cant imagine it would be different but unless one has heard them both with amplified voices there is no way to tell.

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz NR1609, Polk RTI LCR and Surrounds
171 Posts
Fortunately, I already had an Outlaw Model 5000, so no problems driving them at all.
Those outlaw 5000s and 7000 model amps look pretty nice, would solve any issue for 4 ohm. Of course I just checked and my receiver Marantz NR1609 doesn't have preout for the center sigh but it could probably drive the legend center since I don't crank it up until I can replace it (Want to go 7.1.2, NR1609 can only do 5.1.2)

45981 - 46000 of 46020 Posts