AVS Forum banner

46001 - 46020 of 46020 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Thats a thought.I wonder if the 703 has different sound signature to the 706C? I cant imagine it would be different but unless one has heard them both with amplified voices there is no way to tell.
The point is that the 703 has the same sound signature as the 705s in my case or 707s in your case, and are better in that respect than the 706 in that all drivers in all those speakers are in a vertical orientation and therefore have the same off axis response. Having 3 identical speakers, all vertical and all at ear height, up front is the ideal. That is what is used in movie theaters and high end home theaters with acoustically transparent screens. Having 3 vertical speakers with the same tweeter and midrange is a close 2nd, and better than a horizontal center channel in terms of generating a seamless sound field among the front 3 speakers. The only advantage of a horizontal center channel is that is not as tall and fits better under or over the TV, not because it is better sonically. It is not.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
The point is that the 703 has the same sound signature as the 705s in my case or 707s in your case, and are better in that respect than the 706 in that all drivers in all those speakers are in a vertical orientation and therefore have the same off axis response. Having 3 identical speakers, all vertical and all at ear height, up front is the ideal. That is what is used in movie theaters and high end home theaters with acoustically transparent screens. Having 3 vertical speakers with the same tweeter and midrange is a close 2nd, and better than a horizontal center channel in terms of generating a seamless sound field among the front 3 speakers. The only advantage of a horizontal center channel is that is not as tall and fits better under or over the TV, not because it is better sonically. It is not.
Thanks for that explanation.Lot to think about

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Just completed the upgrade of my Polk LSiM base speakers in my HT with Polk Legends...
So you got rid of the LSIM line for the legends? Are you using bookshelves as fronts? Would love a sound comparison on legends vs LSIM especially how that center sounds.

Reactions: D33vious

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
So you got rid of the LSIM line for the legends? Are you using bookshelves as fronts? Would love a sound comparison on legends vs LSIM especially how that center sounds.
Yes, exactly. Went from 705s, 704c and 703s to L200s up front and as side surrounds with the L400 as the center.

As for comparisons, I really enjoyed my LSiMs and thought I had a great HT before, but I do feel like the Legends have raised the bar and bring more room filling sound with excellent accuracy, clarity and superior imaging. Sounds are more lifelike and 3 dimensional. It’s especially great with movie sounds as it really brings out those little details and sound effects. The tweeter is really special. With the new setup, I hear things in movies I have watched hundreds of times that I’ve never heard before, so that’s fun! As for the center, there’s an immediate difference in regard to dialog. What I heard was a full, rich, lifelike human voice. It’s hard to explain but it just sounded a lot more like actual people talking vs sounds coming out of a speaker, if that makes any sense. I had to experiment a little bit with the height of the speaker but once I got that worked out, it was golden. There’s no doubt it’s a great center speaker. Now, is it worth the extra money over the 704c at its current discount price? Probably not. But if you can get a good deal on one, it is an upgrade and will impress.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Thanks. Not right now but surely as a future upgrade.

Reactions: m0j0

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Where are you getting the legends from? Crutchfield? Straight from Polk? I swear Polk's seem harder and harder to fine
Both Crutchfield and Polk actually. At first, I bought some L100s to try as side surrounds. I had some issues with the magnets not working with the grille, so I reached out to both Crutchfield and Polk about it. Crutchfield offered me a partial credit/refund in lieu of not returning the speakers and Polk actually offered to ship me a new pair and give me a discount on a future purchase, which I used to buy the 2nd set of book shelf speakers and the center (they also threw in a military discount).

Edit: I forgot to mention that Polk really wanted me to return the L100's, which I was reluctant to do as it's just too much hassle to return over grilles not functioning properly, so they offered to upgrade me to the L200's for free, which I happily accepted.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Just circling back to say how impressed I am with the Polk Legend L400 center channel. I changed the toe in on the L200's (went from full toe in to no toe in) and reran Audyssey last night, and after that watched a few movies. The L400 was just sublime after the Audyssey recalibration and sounded so clean, powerful and effortless with movie dialog. Just phenomenal! It really does blow away my previous center, the LSiM 704c.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Just circling back to say how impressed I am with the Polk Legend L400 center channel. I changed the toe in on the L200's (went from full toe in to no toe in) and reran Audyssey last night, and after that watched a few movies. The L400 was just sublime after the Audyssey recalibration and sounded so clean, powerful and effortless with movie dialog. Just phenomenal! It really does blow away my previous center, the LSiM 704c.
So do you think it would work well with the LSIM 707s and 702?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Does anyone have a sense of how likely it is for Lsim 707s to go on sale again, at Polk or adorama? I’m a big fan of the 703s but looking for towers for another room.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have been using S55 for almost an year. Good speakers for the price.

I think the S55 is an amazing speaker. The sound is awesome. My only issue with them is they don't go louder and unfortunately I don't think Polk makes a speaker that will go significantly louder.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
8 Posts
they don't go louder
Theoretically - they can go upto 200w. With their sensitivity of 90dB SPL, they can go up to 114-115dB within 1 m of listening distance and around 108-109dB at 2m distance. To compare, the audio in a movie theatre is around 90-100dB.

Whether 108-109dB is enough would depend upon the respective user. It certainly may not be loud enough for many.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm thinking about going with polk for my master bedroom which is roughly 20x13 with vaulted ceilings. I have to hide as many of the speakers as I can since my wife wants it a bedroom oasis first, home theater second. I have a Denon avr-s750. On the right side of the room will be built-ins consisting of drawers and bookcases. These will be custom and not built yet. In front of the bed on the wall will be the tv, an electric fireplace, and mantle in a custom built in. Usage will be 75% tv/movies, 20% gaming, 5% music.

For the fronts and back left I am thinking of the Polk Audio 265 RT.

For the back right, I could make the built-in in a way that another Polk Audio 265 RT would work, but I was thinking a Polk Audio RTi A1 would work well and could be set on the book case. I only have 12" deep on the shelf.

For the ceilings, I am thinking of Polk Audio RC80i since they have they have the aimable tweeter to compensate for the 19 degree vaultrd ceilings.

The center speaker is the most important as we like to hear the dialogue well. Since I'm building a custom enclosure for the fireplace, I can build a custom alcove for a wall mounted or cabinet speaker. I have about 9" depth and 48" width to play with. What center speaker would you recommend?

And how about the others on this combination? I am no audiophile, I just want a better system than the Bose 500 soundbar I have.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I’m looking at new towers for my home theater (25’ x 25’). I have decent amplification (monolith 7x200) and 2 PSA 18” subwoofers. Any thoughts on how LSiM 705s would compare to SVS Prime Pinnacles? I have a pair of 703s in another room and really like them. For centers it would be SVS Ultra center vs LSiM 704c.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just felt it was about time we had an official polk speaker thread , being that according to the speaker brand poll , we have quite a few polkies in here. This might be a good place to discuss tweaks , problems or experiences with your speakers. I for one own a pair of Rti 8s which im very thrilled with and just recently upgraded my center speaker to the almighty csi 5 which has
I am a major Polk Audio junkie. (y)
I have:

1) SDA 2Bs that I bought new in 1988-89
2) A pair of M4 Series 2
3) Car stereo is Polk MMs with two 12" Infinity Kappa subs.
4)Truck has an older set of Polk separates and two 8" subs
5) Polk Woodbourne
6) Polk Hampden on PC
7) Polk Camden square
8) Polk Audio Command Sound Bar

46001 - 46020 of 46020 Posts