AVS Forum banner

46061 - 46080 of 46102 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
If you want to follow Dolby's guidelines, the height of the listener-level surround speakers should not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you want to follow Dolby's guidelines, the height of the listener-level surround speakers should not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers.
Thanks I think I'm going to keep it around the same level as fronts and surround.

I've been trying to figure out the wiring. The HT room has drywalls installed, with a drop down ceiling, the adjacent room doesn't have a dry wall, so i'm planning to pull the wires to the next room through the drop down ceiling. Right now I'm thinking about installing a gang plate like this -

next to all speakers and have a small cable run from them. At the other end I'd connect the wires to the adjacent room where another gang plate for 7.2 will be installed and all wiring to receiver from there. Could that have any issues? the longest wire might be 45ft, but I'm using 12awg cables. Could there be any sync issues based on difference of wiring length? Could I do something better, any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I am thinking of reconfiguring the setup in my master bedroom, which would require placing my two LSiM 703's on stands (they are currently sitting on a long bookshelf unit). Given their weight (30 lbs.) and large footprint (approx. 9" x 14.5") in addition to the need to protect them from my wife's two rambunctious cats, I will need something sturdy. Since it's the bedroom, the stands must also be reasonably attractive.

Two options I've come across are the Dayton Audio SSMB24 and the Sanus SF22 (or, even better, the SFC22 for its deeper platform designed for a center-channel speaker).

I've reviewed some of the past discussion in this thread but would welcome any input from current owners of these exceptionally heavy bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I use these (the 28" model) for my 703's and they fit quite well. You will need to fill them with shot though to get them to be as weighted and sturdy as possible.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I would need the 21" black steel model (Rockville RS21B), but it does not appear that they can be weighted down with infill so IDK whether they would stand up to the cats' mischief.

BTW, do you use any sort of method to adhere the speakers to the platform? If not, how stable are they in case someone should bump into the speaker or jostle the stand?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation!

I would need the 21" black steel model (Rockville RS21B), but it does not appear that they can be weighted down with infill so IDK whether they would stand up to the cats' mischief.

BTW, do you use any sort of method to adhere the speakers to the platform? If not, how stable are they in case someone should bump into the speaker or jostle the stand?
I use the rubber pads that come with the stands but nothing else. The towers also come with rubber feet as one option and I use those, which seems to give fairly good stability. I don't worry about the speakers getting knocked off the stands too much as they are fairly close to the wall, plus the kids know not to run around near the TV area so usually not an issue.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am thinking of reconfiguring the setup in my master bedroom, which would require placing my two LSiM 703's on stands (they are currently sitting on a long bookshelf unit). Given their weight (30 lbs.) and large footprint (approx. 9" x 14.5") in addition to the need to protect them from my wife's two rambunctious cats, I will need something sturdy. Since it's the bedroom, the stands must also be reasonably attractive.

Two options I've come across are the Dayton Audio SSMB24 and the Sanus SF22 (or, even better, the SFC22 for its deeper platform designed for a center-channel speaker).

I've reviewed some of the past discussion in this thread but would welcome any input from current owners of these exceptionally heavy bookshelf speakers.
These have worked well for my 703s.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

I finally opted for a pair of the Sanus Steel Series SF22's mentioned above. They are heavy (ca. 16 lbs. each), sturdy, good looking, and fit the base of the LSiM 703 almost to a T.

I laid down a sheet of black mesh Con-Tact Ultra Grip Shelf/Drawer Liner between the speaker and the stand's platform as a further safeguard against slippage.

Since it didn't happen without the pix, here they are:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I finally opted for a pair of the Sanus Steel Series SF22's mentioned above. They are heavy (ca. 16 lbs. each), sturdy, good looking, and fit the base of the LSiM 703 almost to a T.

I laid down a sheet of black mesh Con-Tact Ultra Grip Shelf/Drawer Liner between the speaker and the stand's platform as a further safeguard against slippage.

Since it didn't happen without the pix, here they are:
I use the SF30 stands (same stand just taller) for Polk RTiA3s in a secondary basement setup. They are definitely very sturdy. When they where in the living room my wife was not so happy about their aesthetics though. I think she called them "big black tubes". I don't mind them. Another good option for securing speakers to them is blu-tack. I have many speakers secured to stands with it and they have survived many bumps from the kids running around over the years.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Are there any Canadians here who have been able to get their hands on the Legend series speakers?

Reactions: Kex

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello All - Looking for recommendation on replacing a blown Rti 4 tweeter. I have 4 Rti 4's from long, planning to try this for atmos duty.. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sorry that it's been a while since you posted this question, @sdeepak. 😢

You will have trouble finding replacements for the RTi4, unless Polk still has some, but a lot of people are reporting that it's impossible to reach Customer Service by phone or e-mail. It could be worth a shot.

If it were me, I would proceed thus:
  1. Check craigslist for local sales, as well as eBay. A pair of these would probably sell used for $150 or less (which is a lot for a tweeter, it's true, but it's cheaper than new speakers of this caliber).
  2. See if it is possible to remove the tweeter from the cabinet. This is very easy for some speakers, but not all. You'll have to do it anyway if you find a replacement, and it looks like all you need would be a hex key. Use the model number to search for a replacement on eBay.
I would rate your chances of finding a replacement, somehow, sometime soon, at better than 50/50. If you are persistent, you will almost surely succeed, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be (fewer and fewer for sale on eBay or craigslist).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks @Kex - Appreciate your feedback. I got hold off a pair of Fxi A4's which has the same tweeters as the Rti4. Planning to replace the tweeters over this weekend. Will report back.. for what i paid, i think the rtis worth every penny esp for the atmos duty !.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I'm set for now with my two systems, one RT based and the other LSiM. But this new line Polk is introducing--positioned just below the top-tier Legend series--looks like it could be an attractive alternative for those who are tempted by the audiophile features of the Legend but don't want to shell out the big bucks:

Polk Audio Introduces Latest Line of Premium Loudspeakers: The Reserve Series

Reactions: m0j0 and Kex

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yup, but anyone thinking of buying these should note that they are 4Ω rated, and only 86-87dB efficient, so probably a somewhat difficult load. Only 4Ω capable AVR's or those with external amplification need apply... 🤔

Preorders & Specifications from Crutchfield
Yes, just like the Legend series that it is based on. As I pointed out, this Reserve line appears to offer most of what that one has at a lower price point.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not that I am aware of... or any year recently for that matter.

There are sales when a line gets discontinued, and those can be quite good. Crutchfield is an excellent source for Polk, including end of life discounts.

46061 - 46080 of 46102 Posts