AVS Forum banner

46081 - 46100 of 46102 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I know there was a F&F sale in June 2019 that offered 50% off the LSiM series. There may have been others since then.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Was that F&F, or just a sale? There were many sales on the LSiM last year, mostly from Crutchfield and other reputable online outlets, but they weren’t limited to F&F. Anybody could apply and get the same pricing.

No code or any special referral was needed to get the discounted price AFAIK.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The email announcement was labelled "Friends & Family Sale":

Screenshot_2021-04-02.png

Reactions: Kex

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
So looks like they didn't have one last year...

Looks like Sound United put a stop that that...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
So looks like they didn't have one last year...

Looks like Sound United put a stop that that...
And, what's more, they appear to have shut down the Polk Audio eBay store. Over the years I have bought many a "refurbished" speaker from them in like-new condition at a steep discount.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The New Reserve Series is very interesting. I'm waiting to get my Listen on as I'm strongly considering trying them out.
Yes, would love to know how they compare to the Paradigm Premier and Revel Concerta2 - all which are the same price point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A year and a half ago I bought a pair of Lsim707 speakers at Adorama for $1100. Yes, $1100 for a pair. Then a journey started to get a full set of LSIM speakers instead of the Signature Series set I have, still have.
The 707s are amazing. Anything I powered them with gave me different sound signature. The better equipment I used the better they sounded and opened up more.
Now that I got the best amp and preamp I can afford, I'm playing around with room acoustics and speaker placement.
Haven't heard the new line. Did anyone here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an extra pair of Tsi100’s, could I use them as atmos speakers? This is in my basement which has been finished on a budget. The ceiling has all the beams exposed and was simply painted all matte black. My thought was mounting them facing downwards right above the couch. I’ve never setup atmos in any shape or form, I guess I’m just wondering if any speaker will do the trick or if I need to shop for speakers marketed as atmos speakers.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
A year and a half ago I bought a pair of Lsim707 speakers at Adorama for $1100. Yes, $1100 for a pair. Then a journey started to get a full set of LSIM speakers instead of the Signature Series set I have, still have.
The 707s are amazing. Anything I powered them with gave me different sound signature. The better equipment I used the better they sounded and opened up more.
Now that I got the best amp and preamp I can afford, I'm playing around with room acoustics and speaker placement.
Haven't heard the new line. Did anyone here?
I have some Legend L200's. The tweeters are pretty amazing. Imaging and clarity/detail are top notch.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have an extra pair of Tsi100’s, could I use them as atmos speakers? This is in my basement which has been finished on a budget. The ceiling has all the beams exposed and was simply painted all matte black. My thought was mounting them facing downwards right above the couch. I’ve never setup atmos in any shape or form, I guess I’m just wondering if any speaker will do the trick or if I need to shop for speakers marketed as atmos speakers.
Yes, you can use bookshelf speakers as atmos speakers. I have four bookshelf Polks setup as front heights and top rears.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
First off, just to be clear, there is no such thing as an "Atmos speaker." There are Dolby Atmos-Enabled (DAE) speakers, which are engineered to bounce the sound off the ceiling from a position at listener level so that it is perceived as coming from overhead, but that is something very different from what you mean. There are also Atmos speaker locations; in the case of Atmos for the home theater, these are the 24 listener-level and 10 overhead speaker locations where the Dolby Atmos renderer will send a discrete audio object.

Rather, what you are referring to are termed overhead or "height plane" speakers, and the only significant requirement (or, more precisely, recommendation) is that they be full range. Ideally, they should also be timbre-matched to the rest of your setup, although this is less critical if you are using a decent digital room-correction application such as Audyssey MultEQ XT32 or Dirac Live.

For the record, here are the pertinent guidelines from Dolby Labs:

Overhead speaker characteristics: Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above the listeners.

There are, however, a few practical considerations regarding using those TSi100's for this purpose. At 10 lbs., they will require a secure mounting method that can reliably handle the weight load. Secondly, rather than mounting them face down, you will want to aim them at the MLP just as I presume you do your other speakers. Thirdly, as the TSi100's only have a keyhole mount on the back, you would have to get creative in finding a way to mount them on the ceiling; there are a number of possible solutions and I assume that you have already thought this through, but it would be much easier if the speakers had a threaded insert so that you could use them with an articulating bracket such as this one. Or, if you don't mind drilling screws into the back of the TSi100, you could possibly manage with these mounts. Fourthly, and critically, in order to achieve an effective immersive audio experience you need a certain minimum separation between the two horizontal planes. Unless your basement has very high ceilings (e.g., over nine feet), the TSi100's nearly one-foot depth will likely result in them hanging too low to provide the desired separation.

Lastly, I will just point out that you will not want to mount any overhead speaker pair directly above the MLP. If mounting two pairs (one forward and one to the rear), the best practice is to aim for an elevation angle of 45/135 degrees relative to the MLP. With a single pair, I would recommend a position just slightly in front of the MLP at a range of 80 to 65 degrees. As it happens, I just finished upgrading my bedroom system yesterday to 5.1.2 (my main system is 9.1.4) and I placed the overhead speakers at 70 degrees elevation which has resulted in a spot-on reproduction of Atmos sound objects on the x/y/z-axis using the Dolby Atmos demo clip Audiosphere.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response, I think I’ll be following your recommendations and also pick up a pair of those mounts. I’ve been resisting the urge to bother with height speakers but have just purchased a new receiver so it’s given me the motivation to dip my toes in and go from a 5.2 to a 5.2.2 setup. Damn this hobby though, I’m already second guessing my 7.2 receiver choice and wondering if I should have gone 9.2 for 4 height speakers. One step (or toe) at a time!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Thank you for the detailed response, I think I’ll be following your recommendations and also pick up a pair of those mounts. I’ve been resisting the urge to bother with height speakers but have just purchased a new receiver so it’s given me the motivation to dip my toes in and go from a 5.2 to a 5.2.2 setup. Damn this hobby though, I’m already second guessing my 7.2 receiver choice and wondering if I should have gone 9.2 for 4 height speakers. One step (or toe) at a time!
Oh yes, without a doubt, 5.1.4 beats 5.1.2 or even 7.1.2 hands down. If you have the option to upgrade now or in the future, I would recommend it. The second pair provides for the front-to-back panning that will be missing with just the one overhead pair as well as for more precise object placement throughout the upper plane.

For example, playing the Dolby Atmos Helicopter clip on my new 5.1.2 bedroom system, the aircraft seems to hover overhead while moving laterally. On my 9.1.4 living room system the aircraft's true circular orbit is heard.

The main reason I opted not to deploy a second pair in our bedroom (besides the fact that we will rarely watch movies there) is that our MLP is lying down on the bed, which is pushed up against the rear wall. With no option to mount ceiling speakers behind us, it did not make much sense to consider installing a second pair (although I admit that I still gave it some thought).

One more tip regarding that second pair: since our hearing is not as acute behind our head, the exact elevation angle is not as critical here. I have no space at all behind the MLP in the bedroom, but as long as you can mount that rearward pair at least a foot or so back (e.g. 100 degrees elevation) and no more than about 135 degrees IMHO you should get good results.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One of my Polk Signature S10s had some distortion at certain frequencies. I thought it was a voice coil problem or something loose inside the cabinet so i opened it up to inspect it. It turned out to have some very cold soldering joints on the crossover. I replaced the solder with Cardas solder and it seems to be fixed. The other speaker sounded ok but had some cold joints as well so i went over those. The speakers are not very old and after seeing their soldering jobs i would be tempted to inspect the crossovers on any new speakers i would buy as long as i could do it without voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
One of my Polk Signature S10s had some distortion at certain frequencies. I thought it was a voice coil problem or something loose inside the cabinet so i opened it up to inspect it. It turned out to have some very cold soldering joints on the crossover. I replaced the solder with Cardas solder and it seems to be fixed. The other speaker sounded ok but had some cold joints as well so i went over those. The speakers are not very old and after seeing their soldering jobs i would be tempted to inspect the crossovers on any new speakers i would buy as long as i could do it without voiding the warranty.
When I bought my S10s, I also had a bad one. I just exchanged them. I didn't have the guts to open them. I do think you are right in that they have weak soldering.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I bought my S10s, I also had a bad one. I just exchanged them. I didn't have the guts to open them. I do think you are right in that they have weak soldering.
Wow, so it wasn't just mine. I didn't notice the problem when i bought them and it is a pain to send them back and go without them for a while.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all, I posted in the general speaker forum, but one of the questions that came back to me was about my particular Polk speakers. I figured maybe someone here would know.

Would the 265LS in-wall speaker work ok as a front wide speaker, knowing that it cannot point at the MLP? In other words, is the sound coming from the tweeters somewhat dispersed, or very direct? I'm hoping to use them as FW to match up with my other 265LS.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That definitely sounds like a less than ideal situation, @qlizard.

If it solves your problem, you could match your 265LS speakers with other products from the LSiM series, which use the same ring radiator tweeter including:

L/R Bookshelf​
L/R Floorstanding​
Center​
LSiM 703​
LSiM 705 or 707​
LSiM 704c or 706c​

The problem will be finding them, since the line has been discontinued for over a year. You may have to explore used on eBay or craigslist etc. if you’re comfortable with that.

Otherwise, the new Reserve and (flagship) Legend lines should match well. Those use an updated tweeter, the Pinacle ring radiator.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
That definitely sounds like a less than ideal situation, @qlizard.

If it solves your problem, you could match your 265LS speakers with other products from the LSiM series, which use the same ring radiator tweeter including:

L/R Bookshelf​
L/R Floorstanding​
Center​
LSiM 703​
LSiM 705 or 707​
LSiM 704c or 706c​

The problem will be finding them, since the line has been discontinued for over a year. You may have to explore used on eBay or craigslist etc. if you’re comfortable with that.

Otherwise, the new Reserve and (flagship) Legend lines should match well. Those use an updated tweeter, the Pinacle ring radiator.
You left out the TL3 satellites, which may be a more viable option for the OP if his first choice of in-wall speakers was due to space limitations.

46081 - 46100 of 46102 Posts