AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are plenty of threads that discuss the rainbow issue, but I just want to nail down a couple things.

For all of you who see rainbows - do you see them equally on all sets? For instance, is the Panny just as bad as the Sammy or vice versa? Since they employ the same technology I would assume that it's the same.

Plus, do some people believe that it even varies from set to set (437W to 437W for example).

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was really worried about rainbows before I got my Sammy DLP, but now I wonder what all the fuss was about. Sure I see them occasionally, but at least to me it’s not a big deal. Maybe some people see them much, much worse and that for them the TV becomes unwatchable.

As for seeing them on other sets, I didn’t see any on my Sony GW! :)

(The picture is much better (with DVDs) on the Sammy.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I see rainbows but the picture quality is so awesome, I try to ignore them. They appear to me when I glance away from the picture, especially dark scenes. I can control this by closing my eyes momentarily when I take my eyes away from the picture.

Also, there must be a psychological element to seeing rainbows because I don't see them when I am engrossed in the story. Picture quality also affects the rainbows. I hardly ever see them when I am watching the PBS HDTV demonstration program, or maybe it is because I am engrossed in the absolutely awesome picture quality of those travelogue programs they keep running over and over.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I actually notice them more on the larger sets. Saw it more on the 617 than the 507.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There were a couple of reports here of rainbows being more apparent on the Panasonic, and it was speculated that this is due to its use of a three-segment color wheel vs. the six-segment wheel used on the Samsung sets.

I haven't seen a Panasonic DLP set anywhere, but the theory makes sense.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tonic
I actually notice them more on the larger sets. Saw it more on the 617 than the 507.
That makes sense. IMO, a larger screen may cause more eye movement; which can bring out the rainbow effect.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would tend to correlate worse rainbows with screen size and color wheel speed. But even that doesn't explain why they seem to come out of nowhere sometimes for me.

If I only could see leprechauns instead.

Mark

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have the 50HDX82.

Just noticed this recently. When I go right up infront of the screen I can see a slight rainbow of colors on the top and bottom. It's sorta like a slim triangle on the top and bottom of the screen but it doesn't extend from top to bottom. Does anyone else notice this?

I don't really see it when looking at it from my regular viewing distance and directly ahead but as soon as I stand up I see it or if I go below my seating area I see it. It seems to be increasing as the days go by too. It was never there before.

What could have possibly caused this? Do I have a screen defect too?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maximum360
I have the 50HDX82.

Just noticed this recently. When I go right up infront of the screen I can see a slight rainbow of colors on the top and bottom. It's sorta like a slim triangle on the top and bottom of the screen but it doesn't extend from top to bottom. Does anyone else notice this?

I don't really see it when looking at it from my regular viewing distance and directly ahead but as soon as I stand up I see it or if I go below my seating area I see it. It seems to be increasing as the days go by too. It was never there before.

What could have possibly caused this? Do I have a screen defect too?
Let's not confuse issues here. The original poster is talking about the rainbow effect in DLP sets. Your set is NOT DLP, it's a CRT based rear projection.

I'm not sure what you're seeing but CRT RPTVs have pretty limited viewing angle.

Go to a store look for a DLP based RPTV like the Samsung HLM437W, 507W or Panasonic PT52DL52 and put up a dark scene in a movie like the ones in U571. For me, if I just blink while sitting a normal viewing distance, I can see rainbows appaer in random parts of the screen (sometimes coinciding w/bright objects on screen). This is what this thread is about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In stroes, I try sweeping my eyes across the screens as fast as I can. not a trace. Maybe it takes especially well-conditioned eyeball muscles to move then fast enough to see the rainbows :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was at the Wiz the other day moving my hand in front of my eyes like a crazy person, shaking my head from side to side, and blinking as fast as I could. Anyone who saw me must have thought I was a lunatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a HLN5065W - and I have occasionally seen Rainbows...rare, but they do happen. The rainbow isnt a halo or anything like that...it appears as a brief 5 inch by 3 inch retangular flash of red/green/blue...so quick that is isnt annoying, but you can notice it. Doesnt bother me too much...

I have a theory....do all the people that see them have contacts? Maybe by moving your eye quickly, your contact moves in such a way as to cause some sort of refraction in the light from the image?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rumor
I have a HLN5065W - and I have occasionally seen Rainbows...rare, but they do happen. The rainbow isnt a halo or anything like that...it appears as a brief 5 inch by 3 inch retangular flash of red/green/blue...so quick that is isnt annoying, but you can notice it. Doesnt bother me too much...

I have a theory....do all the people that see them have contacts? Maybe by moving your eye quickly, your contact moves in such a way as to cause some sort of refraction in the light from the image?

Just a thought.
Nope. I wear eyeglasses, not contacts. I believe I saw them more on the Panny than the Sammy. The rainbows, plus the DLP "eye fatigue" killed DLP as an option for me, despite the beautiful picture on the Panny.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
The rainbows, plus the DLP "eye fatigue" killed DLP as an option for me, despite the beautiful picture on the Panny.
I am unfimilair with 'DLP eye fatigue'. Can you explain this ???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.