Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your input:

1.) List your Top 5 (or more) "Spaghetti Westerns:"

2.) I just purchased a 3 DVD box set of the Trinity series w/ Terence Hill. Does anyone have any comments on the overall quality?

3.) Has anyone seen, and can comment on "My Name is Nobody" w/ Terence Hill?

4.) I know that if I run a search for Ennio Morricone that I will find most "spaghetti westerns" but what other producers/directors made "spaghetti westerns?

-Thanks in advance.

Juno in Phoenix :D

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The Top Five "Spaghetti Westerns" are all Sergio Leone directed films and are as follows:

1. Once Upon A Time In The West

2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

3. Fistful of Dollars

4. For a Few Dollars More

5. A Fistful of Dynamite

·
Registered
85 Posts
1) A. The Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns (GBU,OUATITW,FFD,FFDM,FOD)

B. The Great Silence

C. Death Rides A Horse

D. The Big Gundown

E. The Mercenary

Also good (off the top on my head) is Django, Companeros, Bullet for the General, Blindman, Hellbenders, Run Man Run, the Sartanta films, Sabata, Face To Face, Today Its Me...Tomorrow Its You, Price Of Power, Return of Ringo, Day of Anger and Keoma (although the music is very annoying).

2) If that is the Brentwood or Direct Source DVD, get ready for a disappointment. They are fullscreen and mastered from a VHS. In fact the VHS of Death Rides A Horse from Brentwood looked better then the DVD.

As for the films, I am a big Spag. Western fan but I never went for the comedies so I don't like the Trinity films. If you want to see Hill in something different try W Django (aka Viva Django or Prepare a Coffin). It is one of the 20 or so unofficial Django sequels. Spencer is fun in 5 Man Army, which is train heist movie w/ Peter Graves.

3) My Name is Nobody is a confounding picture for me. I mentioned that I don't like the spag. comedies, so I am put off by the sometimes crude humor. On the other hand there are some brilliant musing on the death of the Western (the glasses, the Sundowner) and some great scenes betw/ Hill and Fonda. The film also looks great, which is what you expect from Tonino Valerii who did camera work on GBU. The Wham! DVD is a port of the letterbox laserdisc and it is OK, even better is the UK PAL region 2 which is 16x9 but has alot of EE. My Name is Nobody is just the kind of movie you have to see and decide for yourself.

4) Ennio composed the soundtracks for many a Spag. Western (about 100) including all the famous ones (all of my top 5). There are somewhere in the order of 600 Spaghettis, so naming all the directors is hard but you want to see the work of the 3 Serigos: Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci, Sergio Sollima. That is a good starting point.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

·
Registered
393 Posts
ALL OF CLINT EASTWOOD'S WESTERNS...PAST AND PRESENT.

MIKEM YOU HAVE THEM RIGHT

·
Registered
370 Posts
While it may not technically be a "Spaghetti Western" 'High Plains Drifter' is in a very similar style.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The DVD-Laser Disc Newsletter for March, 2003 reviewed a new box set from Blue Underground called "The Spaghetti Western Collection" which includes:

- Django

- Django Kill

- Mannaja

-Run Man Run

All are anamorphic widescreen and, evidently from the review, the DVDs are very good.

The Spaghetti Western Collection (BU1954DVD, $80 listprice)

·
Registered
976 Posts
The Blue Underground set is a must-have in any dvd owner's collection. Once upon a time I did a writeup on the Tomas Milian School of Method acting (just search the public newsgroups), but it's best to watch the man being interviewed on dvd. Just incredible. I'm glad he's still alive, as is Franco Nero. The old actors seem to be dropping like flies recently.

Dvdplanet has a fairly complete list of spaghetti westerns available on dvd:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/browse_subc...?categoryid=68

If you thought you heard of everything, you ain't heard of Lucky Luke. Check him out (of the insane asylum).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Encore's Western channel has been featuring "Spaghetti Westerns" all month long.

Titles like:

A minute to pray, A second to die.

and

A reason to live, A reason to die.

Seem like they been featuring a different director each night, with lots of titles I've never heard of before or seen on any online list.

It was a very cool month. Sorry for those of you who missed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.