AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TV Guide's description of the "Hoarders" show on A&E tonight at 9:00 PM EST -

"You'll probably be inspired to clean up your DVR queue after you watch this tale of a woman who has accumulated thousands of hours of television on a nearly extinct device called videotape"

Sound familiar to some????

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well rockyrose since you brought this to our attention I time shifted the show.

It looks like when she started her recording hobby she was on the right track as that big shelf looked like it was custom made to hold VHS tapes, fitting them perfectly in vertical position, the proper way to store videocassettes. Although it looked like she let her cats shed cat hair on the shelf (or was it rodent hair?) and that can ruin the tapes and the VCRs pretty fast.

It looked like originally she had her VCRs set up properly with lots of breathing room and not stacked.

I guess she started running out of room and storing tapes everywhere including outside. I can’t understand
why no one from her family tried explaining to her that the majority of those tapes are ruined and if she tries playing them they will most likely ruin her VCRs.

It looked like she ran out of equipment space and started stacking gear on top of each other and some of the gear wasn’t even leveled.

If she tried playing any of those tapes she would ask:

HORDER
I got 20 darn VCRs and these tapes won’t play in any of ‘em

ANSWER
Lady those tapes are contaminated with water and rat-crap
, of course they won’t work.

HORDER
Well I got a few brand new tapes and those won’t track properly in my new VCRs

ANSWER
Lady those VCRs are stacked on top of each other with 75 pounds of weight on top of them and they have no way of dispersing heat off of them, they are ruined.

Some people wonder why their tapes and VCRs won’t track.

Proper storage and handling people, proper storage and handling.

I kinda felt sorry for that lady, if she was my relative or friend I would set her up with an easy to operate RAID system recording at a very low bit rate. Wouldn’t cost too much, wouldn’t take up too much space and using 3 2TB HDDs at a very low bit-rate, vhs resolution with MPEG-4 would probably have enough record space to last her for the rest of her life.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super Eye,

Very good synopsis!

Admittedly, I never watched one of those shows...just heard of the gist of them. Curiousity got the better of me, since I have so many VCR tapes. I didn't watch the whole show; but, I also felt sorry for the woman. These people are to be pitied as they really do have an illness. I did miss the part where she stated she had 20 VCRS!!?!?!!

Now that gives a whole new meaning of buying off of Craig's List. Who knows where the equipment has been!!

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrose /forum/post/20772938

...I did miss the part where she stated she had 20 VCRS!!?!?!!

Now that gives a whole new meaning of buying off of Craig's List. Who knows where the equipment has been!!

I own 9 DVD recorders, and I'll bet there are at least two or three people who regularly post here that have more then I do. At the end of my VCR use, I had between 600 and 700 VHS tapes. I only converted about half of them to DVDs during my dubbing project, but they had six to nine hours per tape, so it amounted to almost 1000 DVDs. Then I had a bunch of laserdisks (and CED
) so in total, there were 1400 DVDs made from all that. The DVDs take up MUCH less space! My wife thought I was a horder until I sent her some posts from this forum. She STILL thinks I'm a horder, but that others here are even more so.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I'm going to guess during my heyday I had probably over a dozen VHS VCRs and several Betamaxes. I sold several at garage sales when I could see VCRs dying out and now have probably 8 VHSs and 3 Betas, not including my Panasonic combo DVDRs.

Haven't played most for many years, just a couple Sammys I'm using for my dubbing project.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:

There you go again, rockyrose, justifying your deathly fear of used equipment!

You are more likely to encounter a "gamey" unit thats been sitting in a house of horrors if you buy at flea markets, garage sales or thrift shops. People on Craigs List are generally selling decent things out of their own "normal" home, and you have a chance to see the environment before you plunk down your cash for the item. eBay is slightly more dicey depending on the item, tho I wouldn't worry too much about VCRs because most people who live in a dump chucked their grimey VCRs in the basement or trashed them years ago: neurotic hoarders living in fleatraps don't have time for eBay, they're too busy hoarding (or spraying insect repellent). Any VCR on eBay that looks halfway decent with a good photo from a highly-rated seller is likely to be cleaner than your own grandmother's. (Unless its from an "estate sale" - a nice way of saying the item is crap).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:

Admittedly, I never watched one of those shows...just heard of the gist of them. Curiousity got the better of me, since I have so many VCR tapes.

I never watched the show before either. I got curious as well.

Quote:

I didn't watch the whole show; but, I also felt sorry for the woman. These people are to be pitied as they really do have an illness.

Instead of showing one story at a time they kept going back and forth between the VCR lady and the other horder story. I just fast forwarded my HDD every time the other story came on.

Quote:

I did miss the part where she stated she had 20 VCRS!!?!?!!

Sorry I guess I was wasn't as clear as I should have been. The lady never stated she had 20 VCRs. I stated that IF she tried playing any of those tapes she would ask: I just made that part up and took a guess at the number she had. She probably had less then 20 I did notice that she had some DVD recorders as well.

Quote:

The last VCR I bought was off craigslist. It was a barely used SVHS with remote, manual, box and all packaging and I paid $15. I've been keeping track of my usage since I bought it. So far I played 126 different programs, six of them twice for a total of 132 programs. These vary from pre-recorded tapes to home made tapes recorded on my previous VCRs. Plus I time-shifted maybe ten hrs of overflow recordings on this VCR (when my HDD is busy timeshifting other stuff).

BTW, the VCR came from a very clean environment. As illustrated in the included VCR picture The bottom green and white box is from that craigslist VCR manufactured in 2003 - notice how clean the whites are. The top box yellow and white comes from my manufactured in 2002 VCR that I owned since brand new - notice how the whites are fading - and I consider myself to be a fairly clean person. As CB stated, with craigslist you get a chance to see the environment before plunking down your cash.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
Didn't they do a show on a vinyl hoarder at one point .. ?? This is like the continuing saga of the tech pack rat .. what's next .. ?? 8-Tracks .. ??

·
Registered
659 Posts
20 VCRs? Your point is? I mean, I know LOTS of people who have at least 20 VCRs....well, maybe a few people....OK, OK, I have 20 VCRs in my basement.

I'm pretty sure only half of them work.....just not sure *which* half.

Seriously (more seriously), going back to my cassette deck days, I've always had a policy of stacking only one lightweight piece of gear on top of another--i.e., a VCR on top of another VCR, not a 100 watt receiver on top of a VCR or something unreasonable. My theory is the chassis of a piece of gear is designed to handle some weight on top but not 2+ times the unit's own weight.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/20776393

Seriously (more seriously), going back to my cassette deck days, I've always had a policy of stacking only one lightweight piece of gear on top of another--i.e., a VCR on top of another VCR, not a 100 watt receiver on top of a VCR or something unreasonable. My theory is the chassis of a piece of gear is designed to handle some weight on top but not 2+ times the unit's own weight.

With older gear going back from the 70s to the mid 80s being built much heavier - you can probably get away with stacking ONE piece on top of another. But I would never stack anything on top of an amplifier or receiver w/amp because they tend to get very hot and need to breath. Same with my mid-eighties beta VCRs - they are built like tanks but tend to get hot when turned on and need to breath, otherwise you risk damaging the piece of gear that gets hot as well as damaging the piece of gear on top because all the heat from the bottom gear will make its way inside the top piece of gear. Same thing with the Motorola digital cable boxes - although they are built well and heavy, they tend to get very hot and need to breath.

As for newer gear like my 2002 2003 era VCRs and DVD, although they run very cool all day, the built quality is kinda flimsy and I would never ever stock anything on top of my 2002/2003 JVC VCRs or DVD player - that would be one sure way to make em miss-track or outright kill them.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrose /forum/post/20767091

You'll probably be inspired to clean up your DVR queue after you watch this tale of a woman who has accumulated thousands of hours of television on a nearly extinct device called videotape.

Reminds me of this VideoKarma thread , where a large VHS collection was abandoned. Sure wish I had seen that Craigslist ad!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL!!! OK, OK... you have me! Whenever I place one of these idiocentric posts, I learn so much about the members that come here.

Somehow, I don't think any of you would be found on a "hoarders TV show"! I guess I was probably comparing this woman with someone like myself. Most of you are either in the electronics business, has a passion for and consider audio/visual technology as a serious hobby, like to tinker around with equipment parts, etc. in the same way as another person may be interested in woodworking, or own 20 cameras or 20 antique cars, 20 motorcycles or have a huge collection of baseball cards, guns, steins or wherever your interest lies.

As myself, this woman if owning 20 VCR's, does not have that many because it is a hobby or a passion for an outstanding home theater system. It is a sickness in the same way as her not being able to discard all the other items in her house and allowing cat hair, poop or whatever else on her tapes and equipment. None of you would ever allow your technology to be treated that way. So, if I mislead anyone by my comment, I hope this clarifies it.

CitiBear...I literally did LOL when I read your comment!

tomwil....I found that post quite interesting to read! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20776225

Didn't they do a show on a vinyl hoarder at one point .. ?? This is like the continuing saga of the tech pack rat .. what's next .. ?? 8-Tracks .. ??

Well vinyl outlived 8-tracks, cassettes and even reel-to-reel tapes for the consumer market. I have a feeling that vinyl will outlive CD on optical disc as well. Actually vinyl made a pretty good come back. I know many classic rock bands actually include bonus tracks on the vinyl version of an album, that used to be the other way around when CD started outselling vinyl a couple of decades ago.

I know many bands like Led Zeppelin and the Doors had recently reissued their albums on 180 gram vinyl

If you like the doors check this out.
http://www.elusivedisc.com/TheDoorsVinylRestoration.pdf

That was in 2007 and I believe since then they have done another vinyl re-issue using even newer restoration techniques

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20775208

I'm going to guess during my heyday I had probably over a dozen VHS VCRs and several Betamaxes. I sold several at garage sales when I could see VCRs dying out and now have probably 8 VHSs and 3 Betas, not including my Panasonic combo DVDRs.

Haven't played most for many years, just a couple Sammys I'm using for my dubbing project.

In total, I've owned around two dozen VCRs since late 1986. But not all at once.

I kept my favorite Sony SLV-555UC (circa 1990) for eleven years after the power supply gave out in 1996, always planning to repair it some day. In 2007, amidst the clutter of my 5,200 title dubbing project, I had to make room for staging and auditioning videotapes so I took the Sony, still in it's original box, to a Goodwill donation center.

Currently, I own three Toshiba VCRs, a M781 (that replaced the Sony in 1996), a M745 (also circa 1996) and a W605 (circa 2001). None of these VCRs are currently set up for use.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I swear this could have been about me.

I have about 1,000 vhs tapes that I will not give up, I'm glad to have them and would not dispose of them. I'm currently attempting the process to convert what I care most about to dvd.

I bought a beautiful AG-1980 vcr about two years ago which plays pretty much all of them with no tracking issues, and that changed the entire scope of my collection - I was previously converting them to a hard drive, but that came completely unfeasible with how easy it is for hard drives to get damaged or corrupted.

I'm fighting the death of analog kicking and screaming - my collection is incredibly important to me. If this makes me a vhs hoarder, I'll gladly and proudly live with that title. I started this collection in high school in the 80's through about 2002 when I stopped archiving off of tv, and it's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetandgower /forum/post/20865612

I have about 1,000 vhs tapes that I will not give up, I'm glad to have them and would not dispose of them. I'm currently attempting the process to convert what I care most about to dvd.[...] I started this collection in high school in the 80's through about 2002 when I stopped archiving off of tv, and it's not going anywhere.

I sympathize with your death grip on the old tapes: I'm probably the biggest Luddite here, I hate change of any kind. Especially in todays world where "change" is mostly driven by cynical marketing to a generation born in 1980 who have no clue their glittering toys and web apps offer less functionality than they imagine, while data-mining them down to their toes. However, the clock is ticking on large VHS collections, and you really should continue your digitizing process.

Your 1000 tape library is certainly much larger than the norm, but not here on AVS where I alone have 3300 and others have nearly 6000 clogging their homes like an occupying army. Tapes take up a ton of space and are a big pain when it comes time to move (unless you're wealthy theres no guarantee you'll never need to downsize). The tapes we recorded in the '80s are nearing their twilight durability years and will become increasingly difficult to play without damage. Good VCRs are now limited to the dicey second hand market, and finding a repairman who really knows how to bring them back to spec is getting impossible. The AG1980 is one of the top VCRs of all time, I have several, but like all VCRs they do tend to drift and were intentionally designed by Panasonic for pro users who would have them serviced every year- not consumers who would have them sitting on a shelf randomly used for eternity.

In other words, no matter how much we love some of our "old tech", its nearing end-of-life status in practical use. Consumer VHS tape is not like the larger older "pro" formats, which studios store in climate-controlled vaults (and can afford to spend thousands of dollars "restoring"). VHS tape is not like vinyl LPs where you can still get new turntables, old ones are easily repairable, and the media doesn't evaporate so there's always gonna be a cult supporting it. Instead, our beloved VHS is headed down the path of 8-track audio tapes. So its best to digitize it all now, while theres still access to VCRs and the tapes remain trackable. The hard part is the analog to digital conversion: once digitized, its far quicke/easierr to adapt or transfer the files to new different storage media or playback devices.

I too worried about the fragility of HDD storage, so the majority of my tapes have been dubbed to DVD-R. Recently, though, I've come to rethink that position in light of consistent reports from more "expert" archivists that HDD is priced competitively with DVD-R in terms of capacity, affordable enough that one can make redundant backup HDDs to guard against failure, and HDD includes instant easy access to hundreds of "tapes" at a time. More significantly, DVD itself is on the cusp of obsolescence: marketing forces, and again the naive generation born after 1980, are driving us rapidly toward "cloud storage" with everything networked wirelessly. Within the decade we're also likely to see a new solid-state digital storage media or perhaps affordable HDDs with near-limitless capacity: I would not be surprised to see our entire home media libraries archived digitally on a tablet that can beam it anywhere in the house. I'd rather get ready now for that next tech wave, than have it crush me unprepared.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/20866134

...our beloved VHS is headed down the path of 8-track audio tapes... .

You mean that there are 8 track audio tapes? Perhaps it's time for me to upgrade from 4 track to 8 track.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/20866134

Your 1000 tape library is certainly much larger than the norm, but not here on AVS where I alone have 3300 and others have nearly 6000 clogging their homes like an occupying army. Tapes take up a ton of space and are a big pain when it comes time to move (unless you're wealthy theres no guarantee you'll never need to downsize). The tapes we recorded in the '80s are nearing their twilight durability years and will become increasingly difficult to play without damage. Good VCRs are now limited to the dicey second hand market, and finding a repairman who really knows how to bring them back to spec is getting impossible. The AG1980 is one of the top VCRs of all time, I have several, but like all VCRs they do tend to drift and were intentionally designed by Panasonic for pro users who would have them serviced every year- not consumers who would have them sitting on a shelf randomly used for eternity.

Heh, so glad there are others like me who understand my plight
It's not even just a matter of replacing my collection with dvd's, the material I have - for the most part - isn't available on dvd, and what is has music replaced, etc. and I'm very much attached to my original broadcasts with nothing edited or cut out.

I just started going down the dvd path after having a disastrous experience of losing my entire collection of work on a hard drive - I was stupid enough not to back it up, but for me it illustrated the point that hard drives are not a good long term archival solution. So back to the dvd route i go.

I realize that there is going to come a time in my lifetime - sooner rather than later - where tv's are no longer going to be compatible with analog equipment, no matter how well taken are of. So, I'm at the point now where I'm preparing for that eventuality.

And personally, I think its sad that people don't archive anymore and don't care about saving recordings from the television. The whole concept just does not compute with me.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/20866297

You mean that there are 8 track audio tapes? Perhaps it's time for me to upgrade from 4 track to 8 track.

I should have more specifically said "8 Track Audio Tape Cartridges."

For those too young to remember (i.e. anyone under 40), this is what they looked like . They were a huge fad for a brief time, mostly in car stereo systems. My parents had one included in a horrible six foot wide vinyl-woodgrain Electrophonic console stereo circa 1973. The noise of the tape heads switching tracks made dogs bark three blocks away.
One of the most ill-conceived consumer formats of all time, with few (if any) advantages over cassettes but many MANY drawbacks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.