AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a mitsu WS-55313 from BB and was wondering if anyone had successfully hooked up a pc using the DVI port on the back of this bad boy.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a question I am also trying to find the answer to. As an owner of the WS-55313, I am starting to do research on building an HTPC and, unfortunately, do not have a video card with DVI output to try it with.

Has anyone tried this? The manual states the DVI input is proprietary Mitsubishi and is not designed for PC's.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I got my tv yesterday and I haven't tested yet. My previous TV was a JVC with dvi. On the JVC manual, it stated it wouldn't work with a computer via DVI, but it worked for several people on this forum. I think all TV's work with a computer, as long as you have the resolution/timing set up properly. For example, you can't use 720p resolution, since Mits doesn't accept this on component or dvi inputs. But, since it's not a trivial set up, manufacturers state on the manual it's not possible, so they don't get complaints.

But don't forget the mits also accepct RGBHV. So, you can always connect it using the VGA output on your card plus a breakout cable.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you have a link to one of those breakout cables i have never seen one and i am wondering what they look like. As far as the dvi thing, i already have an open DVI port on the back of my video card and it would be sweet bliss if i could use both for something very cool like that. I have tons of movies and my roomates like to spectate when i play battlefield matches online. I hope it works ...

·
Registered
585 Posts
 http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...les/vgarca.asp

This is the one I have. I'm using it to connect component from MyHD card, but it's capable of outputting RGBHV, you just have to connect the black and gray cables.

I believe DVI might have a better picture quality, but I'm not sure on this. But RGBHV should be better if your computer is far from your TV, since long DVI cables are very expensive.

What's your video card?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
585 Posts
 http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...les/vgarca.asp

This is the one I have. I'm using it to connect component from MyHD card, but it's capable of outputting RGBHV, you just have to connect the black and gray cables.

I believe DVI might have a better picture quality, but I'm not sure on this. But RGBHV should be better if your computer is far from your TV, since long DVI cables are very expensive.

What's your video card?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a radeon 9800 pro, I am gogin to try the dvi first since it's free and i just found a great thread for alot of custom timings and what not. It seems like alot of people are having pretty good sucess with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=206854

alot of good info on here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the 65413 and I also have a radeon 9800 pro, my pc is connected to my tv via a rgbhv breakout cable and it works beautifully. I play battelfield 1942 also, but with this game the menus will have to be run at 800x600, which my mits accepts (although at this resolution I get black bars on all 4 sides). But the actual game can be played in widescreen format once you edit a video.con file. See the battelfield thread in gaming forum here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Waters_10

I was not aware that the Mits would accept RGBHV. That is the solution to my problem. I can just purchase a relatively inexpensive breakout cable to use with my Radeon 9000 instead of having to replace the card to buy one with a DVI out.

Thanks!

Although, if anyone uses the DVI input on Mits, please post your results (video card, timings, resolutions used, etc).

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a RGBHV breakout cable hooked up between my PC (with DVI to VGA dongle) and a Mits 48413 that I have not been able to configure properly yet. It works at 640x480 with some overscan through Powerstrip. Might spend some time this weekend and see what I can do to get it working great. Use ebay to get your breakout, I got mine for $14.

'Karnis' has a great how to on this forum that I have found to be a good source of info. Haven't been able to do exactly what he says with my Mits though.

Have to be careful of the refresh rates etc. From my limited experience in this, the Mits will lose sync if it is not right on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 55613 Mits and a 9700 Pro. I tried the DVI and been up all night trying to get it to wkr. It wont work properly. I downloaded the latest ATI drivers and the screen works good, but the letters and icons on the screen are weird, kind of like jumping and are not clear. I tried to play a DVD thru the computer and DVI connection and worked OK, but not GREAT. The screen felt like jumping. I tried different refresh rates and still nothing. I tried PowerStrip and still wont work properly.

I know of a few friends that tried the same thing but thru HD converter. They purchased an RCA RGB to Component Converter and works REALLY GOOD, plus they get 1080I format. That is my next thing to do. Radio Shack has it for $129.00.

·
Registered
14 Posts
cornelp:

Have you tried the vga > component cable that Waters_10 mentioned up above? I have been looking around for it and it can be had for under $20. I wonder if it is necessary to buy the component converter, or just this cable.

Waters_10:

Can you get 1080I out of the vga > component cable?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have good news for all of you. I have this TV and have it working properly without even messing with Power Strip. I get all the resolutions just like a regular computer monitor except when using resolutions above 640 x 480 everything is unconverted into 1080i. No virtual desktop or tiling. You have not seen anything until you play your games at 1280 x 1024 with no over scan and antilaising enabled. There is not game out there that I have not been able to play on this TV. None!! All of the resolutions work

First of all, this TV is even more powerful than you guys could ever imagine when it comes to tweaking and over scan. You have complete control, but you just don't know it yet. It took a little bit of reading, but once I was able to Find the Service Menu codes on this forum, I was able to adjust everything and it's mama on this TV. These options include Horizontal and Vertical width, key, balance, and Position. I was even able adjust the Tilt and skew. This TV will do anything you want you just have to know how to do it. It even has fine adjustments after you have done the main adjustment to ensure that everything is line up correctly

Over scan goes away once you adjust the TV through the service menu to show the full picture. By default the TV comes from the Factory Completely Over scanned on both horizontal to verticle by a wide Margin. By the way, once this is done you will be able to see the full Picture when viewing regular NTSC Broadcasts and HDTV Broadcasts (if you have a tuner, this TV does not come with one). Once over scan is gone in one resolution is disappears in all of them. It's a one-time adjustment.

I have posted a few threads before stating that Power strip is not needed and I meant it. If you have power strip installed it takes away from you computers ability to output Interlaced resolutions via DVI. At least this is my experience. The only thing is that if you installed power strip in the past, you will need to start from a clean install. Even after uninstalling the software interlaced resolutions will not work if I have installed it at least once.

I get all of the resolutions by simply substituting the plug and play monitor driver that will load by default after you have installed the latest Catalyst Drivers (I using 3.10, 4.1 is buggy as can be, although 4.1 is the only one I can get interlace overlay working without the Half height resolution bug). The monitor I use is the sonny wf900 or something like that. I full description of how to do this can be found in an earlier thread I worked on.

Bottom line is that if you have a DVI cable and a radeon (I have the All In wonder 9700 pro) This TV will work.

P.S. service menu adjustments are not easy and should be done with great care. Right Down Everything, before changing anything!!!! And no the service menu is not the regular menu that you guys are looking at it. There are three menu, the one that you guys are using to make standard adjustments, one to change the geometry of the picture (my favorite), and another one to do picture tweaks such as color (no not the perfect color thing that is standard. The other two menus take special button combinations to get to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dimahnbloe, can you give us details how you did it? I just tried it and the what I got is MAX of 640x480 and 1080I. That wont work on most games and DVD movies.

I have the TV, ATI Card and DVI cable, but from what the manufacturer and TV Manual says is that it will only work at max of 640x480.

Please give us details or let us know where to go and get them.

THANKS. The other option I know it will work for sure is to get RGB to Composite Converter, but that is very costly and I dont want to really do that, I would rather do it thru DVI Cable.

Please let us know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jdsmith, I know about the cable, but you still have to purchase the converter, than it will work. And yes it will work at 1080I. I know 2 people that tried the cable only and did not work properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be sure to reboot when prompted to do so

This document was done in word and pasted here pardon the format

1. Connect Your TV to your regular Computer Monitor

2. Reinstall Windows XP from Scratch (Clean Install)

a. Should have service pack one installed also if not install it.

3. Install the chipset drivers for you motherboard

4. Install DirectX 9.0b

5. Install Your Sound Card Drivers and All other Applicable drivers for your hardware except for your video card

6. Install Catalyst drivers 3.9 and above

7. Install DAO

8. Install Multimedia Center if Applicable

9. Upgrade Windows Media Play to Version 9.0

10. Install Windows Media Encoder

11. Disconnect Computer From Regular Monitor

12. Connect to WS-55313

13. Start Computer

a. Computer should load with a standard resolution of 640 x 480

b. The sliders in the Display Properties will probably not allow you to make any adjustments to the resolution (you should be stuck at 640 x 480)

c. There should be some over scan

Here is where it gets fun

14. Right Click on My computer to get to the Alternate menu and click on properties to get to the system settings

15. Click on Hardware

16. Select Device Manager

17. Expand the monitor option

a. Monitor should be listed as plug and play monitors

18. Right Click on Monitor

19. Click update Driver

a. When updating drivers uncheck the compatible monitors

i. Full list of manufacturers and monitors should appear

b. Select Sony in the Manufacturer side

c. Scroll down to the WF-900 ( I am at work and am not sure if this is the model, it should be the same one the Karnis uses in his Custom Resolutions Guide, DO NOT INSTALL POWER STRIP!!!

d. Click OK and you should get a message telling you that the monitor has been change or something like that

20. Go Back to the Display Settings and verify resolution availability

a. All Resolutions should not be available

b. All the way up to 1900 x 1200

i. If not you used the wrong monitor from sony, go back and select the right one

21. Change the resolution to one of your choice

a. I Start out by trying 1280 x 1024

b. All Resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 Should work

c. Your Television will be in 1080i format

d. You will notice an interlace flicker

i. Flicker will be more noticeable the further you are away from 1080i (1900 x 1080)

ii. This will be annoying at first but when playing games it should barely be noticeable

1. verify this by running the spiral 3D Screen Save in windows XP

2. Also run Any Game at any resolution and you will see that you barely notice it

Note: I do not use any resolution higher to 640 x 480 for web surfing and reading text and documents. It took a while to get use to but it’s not that bad once you get rid of over scan through the service menu. I lunch my games from my desktop and the television automatically switches the resolution for me. I use games in 1280 x 1024 because I can and the images are sharper that resolution for me.

You want that picture to fit on your screen without any over scan??

It has to be done in the Service Menu

I have a document of all the factory defaults mapped out and I can give you the adjusted numbers for my television after the over scan is gone but that would take me some time to right them down.

If you want Service Menu Codes, I can give them to you, but I do not want to be responsible. Do a search in these forums on Mitsubishi Service Menu. You will get a wealth of information.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, but I dont get it. You said you changed the Resolution to 1900x1600 but yet you said not to use Internet and Text Reading with more than 640x480.

If you play DVD movies, than your screen will be only 640x480, which is not that good.

Right or did I mis-understand you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The reason that I do not use any other resolution for surfing the web is that 640 x 480 actually is done in 480P format on this TV therefore it is the clearest to read. The only problem with Watching DVD's is the Half Height resolution bug, ATI seems to have solved this when Catalyst 4.10 but in my opinion there to many other bugs for me to use those drivers. I actually do watch DVD Movies at other resolutions without any issues (1280 x 1024 is sweet). Any other resolution on this TV is done in 1080! mode which also comes with an interlace flicker the further you are away from 1080i. For most people, reading text at 1280x1024 will not bother them, but I have very sensitive eyes, I can actually still see most regular computer monitors flicker when they are running at 75-85 Hz. So to summarize you can do what you want in what ever resolution you want, it's just a personal preference of my own. I use a hot key to get to 640x480 with the ATI display panel when I want to read or right something, everything else especially gaming, works at resolutions of your choice. There is probably a way to change the refresh rate using the service menu on the TV I simply thing that I have not found it yet. The reason for the flicker is that 1080i is done at 30 Hz

By the way, if you have installed power strip in the past, attempting to get resolutions via the DVI cable should be done from a clean install of the operating system. You must start fresh. For some reason even after uninstalling Powerstrip, standard resolutions will not work unless I format and reinstall

·
Registered
35 Posts
I completed everything you have done, and yes it works.

The only problem is the DVD movies and the desktop. I just cant seem to work at 640x480 on desktop resolution. The movies I cant watch properly. It works what you said with no problem, but anything above 640 will actually look REALLY bad.

It is a good idea, and I thank you for the info. I will go and buy the HDTV RCA converter. This way I can watch movies and desktop will be at any resolution I want it to be.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I APPRECIATE IT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
-cornelp:

Please post your results for the rest of us after you try the HDTV RCA converter. Are you buying the Radio Shack model you mentioned earlier? Please let us know where you get it from and the cost, if you don't mind.

It sounds like this might be the easier way to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.