AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I was playing around with cutlist tonight and was trying to get the dimensions down right for the coaxial build that Im working on. my problem, Im not an engineer... haha

anyone that might want to assist me with getting the box dimensions correct, please help!!! I want a box with a slanted front baffle to allow a good angle down to the seating position and would love for some help to find the correct panel dimensions so I can plug them into cutlist and get started!!

the dimensions, using 3/4 inch auruco are as follows:

rear and top panels should have a 12x12 inch layout, tapering to an 8 inch bottom panel, and whatever size the front baffle needs to be to accommodate. the side panels will obviously be oddly shaped with the taper from 12 to 8 inches. there will also need to be a slightly longer rear panel than a straight 12x12 to allow for the angle cut necessary to flush it up with the front baffle (which will also need probably an extra 1/4 inch for the same purpose)

If this is too much to ask, ill go trial by error, my mind just doesnt think in these ways and trying to draw it up on paper has been futile so far.

thanks if anyone is willing to lend a hand.

also, considering the 3/4" depth of the ply, the front baffle would probably fit into the interior of the bottom/LR/top panels with the side panels, looking from outside the box, the sides that have no panels tapped on top but rather onto the sides of the panel. if that makes any sense

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Why not just draw it to scale on paper?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
lilmike, that looks like what he was talking about. once you master sketchup, how long does it take to create a simple picture such as the one that you posted above? just curious.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20864728

lilmike, that looks like what he was talking about. once you master sketchup, how long does it take to create a simple picture such as the one that you posted above? just curious.

Master? Sketchup? Me?

Seriously?

I think that took me a bit less than 20 minutes to whip up. I started after reading Roger Dressler's post, and posted the drawing at 10:20.

Believe me, I am no master, not by a long shot, but I do have a LOT of hours invested in learning all about how not to use Sketchup.....

·
Registered
Klipsch Heritage, Danley subs, Emotiva, Epson 5050
5,148 Posts
Beast, I'm not a master, but do use sketchup. Got a deal for you...you come over, I'll give you the sketchup drawing you want and you give me some REW lessons and measurements of my room.

We could also do a sketchup of your entire room to help you study that new AT screen you're putting in!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
One day I'm going to try and learn sketchup. I started playing with it one day and like most guys didn't read about it first, got to a point I needed help then went and looked at their manual and my god! I can promise that building the entire line of Ford cars that year would have took less paperwork! I gave up right then. Didn't want to put an entire set's worth of encyclopedias in my head just to learn a program. I will some day though.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Sketchup is easy to learn. Just follow the step by step video tutorials and hey presto! your a master. Best free program on the planet. The version I found had a whole bundle off plugins too. Wicked! That drawing should take no longer than 5-10 mins. I can normally design a whole sub in about 30-40 mins normally.

·
Premium Member
14,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/20864695

Looking for something like this?

Simple Sketchup attached.

Thanks lilmike! That is exactly what Im looking for. is there anyway that sketchup would be able to derive the front baffle size by giving all the other dimensions? and also the cutout size of each panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/20865290

Beast, I'm not a master, but do use sketchup. Got a deal for you...you come over, I'll give you the sketchup drawing you want and you give me some REW lessons and measurements of my room.

We could also do a sketchup of your entire room to help you study that new AT screen you're putting in!

haha DEAL!!! ill be in touch soon actually as Im heading down that way within the next two weeks for a client meeting and might could stop by afterwards.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio
Thanks lilmike! That is exactly what Im looking for. is there anyway that sketchup would be able to derive the front baffle size by giving all the other dimensions? and also the cutout size of each panel?
Certainly.

See attached.

beastaudio coax box exploded.zip 12.119140625k . file

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike /forum/post/20866307

As drawn, the total internal volume is 932.65 cubic inches, or about 0.54 cubic feet.

I was shooting for a half cube anyways so that is great! That was one thing I had calculated was the approximate internal volume.

When I get home I will try and mess around with sketchup some. Id like to make all the other panels all flush up to the side panels so you wont see the layers of ply, since ill probably be doing some magnetic type speaker screen on the front, that would be the best place to have all the panels show. This will also aid in the cutlist rips as the front, back, top and bottom panels will all have the same width
how hard is this to do?

Thanks again lil mike

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Here is one to start with.

You can pull dimensions with the tools in Sketchup.

Happy I could help out with this one - I am very interested in your results.

beastaudio coax box 2.zip 11.1787109375k . file

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ill check that as soon as I get home!! Thanks man! I will definitely post the build progress with pics and then response graphs upon completion, I too will really have trouble measuring them outdoor GP unfortunately. I still think we will get a decent reading on them in my room @1m.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I posted it over at techtalk, but some of you may be interested in AutoDesk 123D. It's in beta, but pretty interesting. Feels a lot like Solidworks, Inventor, Pro-E, etc. Probably less user-friendly than SketchUp, but still pretty simple if you ask me (disclaimer: I use Inventor at work haha).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio
How do you get the exploded view of all the panels like the previous one you posted LilMike?
Each panel is a separate component in the drawing. That way you can select any of the panels individually, move it where you want it, and rotate it as you need it.

I used the Select Tool, the Move Tool, and the Rotate Tool to align them the way I did, took just a couple of minutes.

All of the tools are detailed here:

SketchUp User's Guide

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.