AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a 60'' RPTV and posted some Qs on this forum. Did get a lot of answers but I consider Seniors to be a great resource and therefore calling on them before taking delivery on the TV. I am sure a lot of you out there went one way (Sony (LCD) or Samsung (DLP)) and therefore wanted to check if you could answer below for me. 5K is a BIG bullet to bite and a too costly of a decision to make wrong!! Just one last time:

-----------

I am inclined to go for Sony but still want to get some opinions/experiences since I believe the production for Sony is back on:

1. Difference b/wSamsung or Sony as a company? Also differences between the technology, TV quality and customer service? I have PQ of Sony is better than Samsung but.....TV owners out there can tell me better

2. Sony GW Vs XBR in 60''. is XBR worth the additional cost. I know I do not necessarily need the HDTV tuner since it shall not work with Dish Network but I am not sure if other technologies have been included/upgraded in XBR which makes it better.

3. Now Sony 60'' XBR is what I ordered two days back and abt 5K + taxes and Samsung is a bit cheaper so I could save money also with Sammy. But I want to make sure what I buy is not technologically outdated, and thats the Q abt LCD vs DLP as I hear DLP is a 'newer' technology.

4. I know some of you absolutely hate LCD and would def. buy a DLP and therefore a Sammy. I want to know why? Please!

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated. I could still go either ways and thats why I asked you this Q.

- thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
For the MILLIONTH time:

1) Both are BIG electronics companies. Which is the "better company" is just a matter of opinion - there's no true "answer", so why ask?

1a) Which has a better PQ??? What do YOUR eyes tell you?? Mine tell me that I like the picture better on the Sony, but SO WHAT? YOU might not.

2) The XBR is Sony's top model - THEY think it's better, but do YOU? All the technical mumbo-jumbo in the world can't change what YOUR eyes can perceive.

3) What does it matter which technology is newer? (I don't know and don't care). DO YOU LIKE THE PQ??? That's the question.

4) More opinions, and this has been discussed AD NAUSEAM in myriad threads here. Use the search feature or look at the FAQs for more info.

;-)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zcd2.7t,

Thanks for ur replies... and rant! I understand your issue with some Qs been asked again but sometimes all answers are not found and believe me I have already spent days/weeks on this forum for these answers.

Also, although I could agree with the 'personal' liking for a PQ b/w people, I do not subscribe to your view abt the technology aspect. We all come to such forums to learn something that we do not know or could learn from other's experiences. I for one, always like to make an informed decision. I do CARE A LOT of the technology since sometimes what looks the best mayb not be the best and also bcoz I want to make sure I plan for future asw ell. Fatty food looks and tastes great but the health issues cannot and should not be ignored! You cannot just look at one aspect and make a decision.

I do appreciate your opinions however.

-thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
1. Difference b/wSamsung or Sony as a company? Also differences between the technology, TV quality and customer service? I have PQ of Sony is better than Samsung but.....TV owners out there can tell me better

- Sony is much bigger, Samsung is more aggressive. Both are great companies in terms of products and service in general.

4. I know some of you absolutely hate LCD and would def. buy a DLP and

therefore a Sammy. I want to know why? Please!

- If LCD was available for much less price than DLP, consider LCD. For a comparable price, I would recommend DLP. For more on this topic, see:

Guide to selecting a High Def Display
http://www.digiupdate.com/100_Selecting_HD_Display.html

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zcd2.7t
For the MILLIONTH time:

- there's no true "answer", so why ask?

What do YOUR eyes tell you?? SO WHAT?

What does it matter which technology is newer?

this has been discussed AD NAUSEAM

I must object to this display of a "bad attitude". Is this constructive, does it make the AVS Forum a better place? Saying "why ask" is especially demeaning, whether its to children, grandparents, or students.

From my point of view, the Sony WE610 non-xbr have alot of bang for the buck. Its a good choice if you want an interim TV while you wait for more improvements in the future. For example, I have my sights set on a 50-55" LCD flat panel as soon as prices become reasonable, hopefully a few years. I have the 50" GW3. The xbr's are pricey and have a tuner that I would not want, but the styling is sleek. Some have commented on the smoother look of the image as well.

I prefer the way the Sony LCD handles camera panning, motion scenes, and sports. I find the Samsung DLP's to be busy, distorted, but its only my opinion. The Sony handles SD channels better, this is more a consensus opinion. The Samsung can generate rainbows, which was the deal breaker for me, even though I have a DLP projector, which handles rainbows better for some reason (same color wheel setup I believe).

The rainbows are less important if you wish to watch with some lights on, as do I. They are reduced with ambient lighting. The Sony is less expensive, which helps if you are looking toward the future.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would put the company issue this way:

It is not relevant to your TV selection to discern the "better" company. There are so many variables in that equation that are just unrelated to your needs.

The products themselves each have much to recommend them and some drawbacks.

For you, it might make sense to buy Sony because you like and trust them. By contrast, it makes no sense to disregard Samsung simply because they are the upstart. They are a serious player in the business.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mark2001
I must object to this display of a "bad attitude". Is this constructive, does it make the AVS Forum a better place?
Point taken.

However, this is a forum which mostly deals in opinions, and those were/are mine. Your post (including your comments about my post) are also opinions, so should I object to your accusation of "bad attitude"??

My issue with the original post is that there are NO "true" answers to any of the questions posed. "Which is a better company?" By what measure? By whose standards? The question is so vague as to be unanswerable!

"Is the XBR worth the extra money?" To whom? Only the person posing the question can answer that, so why ask?

"Already bought the XBR"?? Sounds like the decision was made, so what else is there to discuss?

I did offer my answer to the picture quality question, noting that it was my opinion only. What else can be said?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do have the option to not reply if you believe it is not a valid Q. That might be better rather than the answers (and rant) above.

The questions were asked since I am open to change my decision if valid points were made. If I had made my mind, I would not have asked. And my original post does mention that!

·
Registered
198 Posts
mallu2u:

Be advised that some of us who have great experience with Sony GWs believe that 'arun's' fine effort in his 'Selecting a HD Display' project perhaps does not rate the latest versions of LCD RPs completely accurately.

Perhaps the following ratings would be closer to what many of us see in our LCD RPs:

Brightness: Excellent - (especially GWIIIs that have a higher output bulb this year);

Colour Saturation: Excellent - (on my GWII, in the 'Seabiscuit' DVD the colours of the jockey's jerseys, infield grass and the red fire engine were absolutely stunning - accurate, bright, natural and properly saturated with no bleeding. I couldn't imagine overall colour being any better);

Moving Images: Excellent - (no trails of any kind); and

Overall PQ: Good to Excellent

As far as DLP Screen Door Effect, from what I've seen, as well as many have noted in this forum, this phenomena is also common to DLPs. It looks similar to other digital displays, including my GWII (whether this is SSE, SDE or FPN, I don't know, but it is faintly visible in bright panning scenes); however, it is not given a rating in the DLP matrix (perhaps it should be 'fair to good'?).

More info for ya.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by exLabDriver
(whether this is SSE, SDE or FPN, I don't know, but it is faintly visible in bright panning scenes)
Sound like the good ol' SSE, Silk Screen Effect, the "veil".

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u

From my experiences in the past- Samsung better supports their products than Sony does. I think the fact that Sony is so large hurts them in the area of support because there is never a single phone call or clear cut answer on any problem. Personally, I am not the type to waste my time on the phone fighting with MFG's... I'd rather throw it away and buy another somtimes I get so frustrated.

It's not that I don't think Sony will support it's products, I just think there is more effort required in getting them to do it becuase of the large size of the company. I have heard some bad horror stories with Sony. Things like a week after the warranty is up.... Sony won't help at all.

Also- If it matters. Sony LCD has had a pretty horrible track record thus far. I mean by that- it's been widely expressed as being defective or having problems. Sony had some trouble with some lamps... and the tv's buzzing and not turning on upon start up. Samsung has been more reliable considering that the products have been out longer time and sold better..... and there is less very serious problems reported at this point.

Personally- Having used and experienced both products I would reccomend the Samsung based on the question "how are both companies"

But- My experiences in retail suggest the opposite- Despite Sony products offering lower reliability in the LCD realm of GWIII related products- Most people are willing to spend the money on them becuase of those 4 letters on the front - S-O-N-Y- :)

Nothing wrong with brand preference....Personally I have always had a brand preference for Hitachi because of the great experiences I have always had with Hitachi products.

Each person is different I guess..... I would not really judge the Sammy DLP and Sony LCD against each other using the companies as a comparision becuase too many things enter that equation to make the outcome correct for everyone.... :)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:

2. Sony GW Vs XBR in 60''. is XBR worth the additional cost. I know I do not necessarily need the HDTV tuner since it shall not work with Dish Network but I am not sure if other technologies have been included/upgraded in XBR which makes it better.
XBR is for people who want the best.

XBR is Sony's best styling, mark up, Picture, Sound, and highest price...

It has a nice hard plastic anti-glare screen.... tuner....sound system..

What you should do is weigh the additional features that XBR's offer against your own individual needs and wants.... and factor in the price.

To some people- XBR is worth the extra price. Other's it is not.

Personally- I think XBR tubes are worth the extra price.... as is the XBR plasma screen. But XBR LCD I do not believe offers enough real world advantages for me to consider purchasing one.

Although- For me- I think hell would have to freeze over before I bought and LCD product; I find the existence of LCD products objectionable;)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:

3. Now Sony 60'' XBR is what I ordered two days back and abt 5K + taxes and Samsung is a bit cheaper so I could save money also with Sammy. But I want to make sure what I buy is not technologically outdated, and thats the Q abt LCD vs DLP as I hear DLP is a 'newer' technology.

You could save about $1000 with the Samsung with decent shopping efforts:)

It's not a question of "outdated" because both LCD and DLP are very new in the RPTV market and both will be around for a long time.

I think improvements in DLP will occur at a fast rate than improvements in LCD will.

I also feel that as a technology DLP is superior becuase it has better blacks and contrast, is brighter, more reliable, and can offer more stable better color over longer period of time. DLP does not develop stuck mirrors as fast or as often as LCD does... and getting Samsung to cover a stuck mirror is much easier than getting Sony to cover a stuck pixel.

Personally- For $1000 less I feel the Samsung offers better picture quality and reliability.

I am DLP biased because I feel that LCD technology "sucks" :)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:

4. I know some of you absolutely hate LCD and would def. buy a DLP and therefore a Sammy. I want to know why? Please!
I hate LCD because:

Picture quality *to me* is subjectively much lower than on CRT TUBE, CRT RPTV, DLP, or PLASMA.

LCD has the most screen door effect

LCD offers the worst possible black levels and contrast.

(Disclaimer: By using the word "worst" I mean that it has the lowest black level performance of all the current technologies. If being "dead last" in a race is acceptable to some people- then perhaps LCD blacks are "not that bad" just like the last place finisher is "not that bad" Not that bad compared to what? LCD has bad blacks! )

LCD has alot of noise, LPN, and dancing pixels of noise that are very evident on moving images with a 60" screen size.

LCD is least reliable.

LCD is very prone to developing stuck pixels not covered under MFG warranty.

Sony does not offer PC connectivity compared to Samsung.

Samsung has brighter image and less glare than Sony does

Samsung offers better colors.

LCD has blue/purple blacks... and serious black crush.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mfusick,

I really do appreciate your comments on the two TVs. I shall def. take them into account before I make my final decision.

Thanks again for your time and detailed answers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
mallu2u:

To interject some balance and common sense into this thread I offer the following:

Just keep in mind that, even despite the temporary Sony bulb problems that normally would have scared off customers in droves, there sure are a lot of consumers and enthusiasts still purchasing and immensely enjoying LCD RP sets because of the great performance that these devices are capable of delivering. These people can't all be wrong and the manufacturers can't build them fast enough to meet the demand.

The choice yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just bought a GWIII 60".. I looked at the Sammy DLP as well.. IMO PQ was great on both.. I decided the problems Sony has been having were not enough to stop me.. Made this decison based on posts in this and other forums. I was worried about the rainbow effect on DLP that people have reported, even though I could not see it on the sets I checked out..

In the end I figured either set would be great, so my decision was made by $$$$$ I bought the set on my Sony Card and I don't have to pay for it for 13 months, no interest or payments..

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Samsung gave me a bad taste last year when my buddy went through 3 (yes THREE) CRT RP HD ready TV's. The Quality of the set was a joke.

His 4th TV he went Toshiba and has been happy since. It only gave me a bad taste, But I think my buddy will be hard pressed to ever buy a Samsung again.

Quote:
I've answered this before in detail and there are already established threads on this subject. Short version.. I personally think so, I had the GWIII & I now have the XBR. There are valid arguments to both sides. And basically your gonna have most XBR owners say it's worth it and most GWIII owners say it isn't.

Quote:
I Have always found you get what you pay for. Technology is always going to get better. There is always going to be something bigger and better on the horizon. DLP vs LCD is like Coke and Pepsi. It's a preference. Only you can answer that question.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.