AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ReplayLyndon posted on this board four hours ago. He must have read the disgruntled comments about the 10 day wait for MyReplay.com to come back online.

Why no comment from anyone at this company? It's an absolute disgrace.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Uh, Richard posted about this just the other day.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ReplayTV have always taken the stance that rather than be up front and honest with us, they'd much rather watch all the rampant speculation we generate.

On a more serious note:

Just where did this standard of stonewalling silence come from? I can't imagine how it helps their customer support image at all.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It should come as no surprise given the reactions generated in this forum to any deviation to a perceived schedule posted by any ReplayPerson. It's a no win situation. Keep quiet and you're pilloried for "stonewalling." Say something slightly positive and one minute past the expected time you're brough to task for unkept promises. There's a great thesis lurking in this board for any student of human nature.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
And that is the reason that very few comapnies will maintain a public presence in any public, unmoderated forum. While I have some issues with decisions that the companies that have owned Replay have made, I have no complaints about their willingness to have employees participate here, or the level of assistance and information they have provided in this venue.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think if someone posted an "oops, we were wrong; here's the updated time," most people would at least wait for the updated deadline.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well, as of today they've removed the "down" screen and we're back to the 500 error on /servlet/Login.

On another note, to replay staff, you might want to think (While you dont have the box working) of moving to mod_jk and tomcat instead of ApacheJServ/1.1.2 (which is ancient 17-Jun-2000). Also, Apache 1.3.12? Please go read bugtraq or apache security ( http://www.apacheweek.com/features/security-13 ).

Also, removing that information from your Server: banner would be suggested.

-kjac

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
...most people would at least wait for the updated deadline.
Think so? just how long have you been frequenting this forum?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
ReplayTV have always taken the stance that rather than be up front and honest with us, they'd much rather watch all the rampant speculation we generate.

Just where did this standard of stonewalling silence come from? I can't imagine how it helps their customer support image at all.
All we're asking for is accurate information. If they have a major technical problem, tell us, don't fob us off with "down for maintenance". Obviously deadlines can be missed, but is it asking too much that they don't lie to us.

Their appalling customer relations will finish them off, and deservedly.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DAtherton
All we're asking for is accurate information. If they have a major technical problem, tell us, don't fob us off with "down for maintenance". Obviously deadlines can be missed, but is it asking too much that they don't lie to us.

Their appalling customer relations will finish them off, and deservedly.
Very nice irony. This is exactly the kind of message that convinces companies to stay away from public fora. No substance, just name calling and venom.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The only accurate information I have is vague information.

The server went offline while I was on vacation last week, so I missed the first few days of speculation.

I don't have a concrete date for you, because, If you had asked me yesterday when it would be up, I would have told you yesterday. The same would apply to the day before. That would have been based on the information I had at the time.

I expect the server to be back up today. Hoefpully, tomorrow won't prove me wrong. It's clearly taking longer than expected.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
Very nice irony. This is exactly the kind of message that convinces companies to stay away from public fora. No substance, just name calling and venom.
Here Here!

I think we're all frustrated. But lets face it, we do NOT want DNNA to stop using this forum as a resource. To a small extent, we end up having a voice in how the product line moves along.

Just my lousy $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.

(I still think that the length of time the myReplayTV server has been down is pretty awful, but hopefully this will trigger better disaster plans!)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
I think if someone posted an "oops, we were wrong; here's the updated time," most people would at least wait for the updated deadline.
the message on the server is:

"MyReplayTV is currently unavailable. We apologize for this inconvenience and are working hard to restore the service."

How much more up front do you want them to be? Server specs, maybe? A memory dump?

If they knew when it was going to be back up, they would say so. If they *could* have it back up today, they would. So, rather than give you another arbitrary deadline (for which they would be crucified here if they missed) and setting unrealistic expectations, they're simply doing and saying what they can.

Now, I agree that it's disappointing that the service went down and that, for whatever reason, it's proven more difficult than expected to get it running again. It's clear that, somehow, this was mishandled. But geez, the sniping is just tiring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.