AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question to our fellow Sony XBR450 owners. I bought a 36" XBR450 in late June. At first I didn't notice, but later I see that the set's geometry is off. The most obvious thing is, when you are watching a channel with a ticker at the bottom of the screen, you see the ticker, across the bottom of the screen, is curving up at the middle.

(I tried many time to show a text diagram here but the browser keeps removing the spaces, that's why I had some many edits, sorry)

It is also obvious when watching a tennis game and sometimes at 16:9 mode with black bars at the top and bottom. Video Essentials DVD shows the same problem when displaying test patterns.

I had 2 techs out for adjustment but both said there is nothing they can do because the service menu has no adjustment for this.

I saw the 36" XBR450 at Costco have the same problem. I just went to the store again and saw the same problem on the 32" and the 36" XBR450, the 34" widescreen XBR, the new 40" XBR ,as well as on the Panasonic Tau flat TV. Some more serious than others.

My question is if you own an XBR450 (any size) or a Panasonic Tau flat screen TV, do you see the problem I see on your set? Is this geometry expected on these flat screens? I hate to spend that much money and can't get the same kind of quality on my 21" Sony computer monitors. It may just be that much harder to get it right on such a large, flat tube.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

-Lit

[This message has been edited by lithangw (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
59 Posts
lithangw,

A bit off topic, but did your Costco have a 34xbr2 in stock at the store? I've only seen the xbr450 there.

thanks,

eric

·
Registered
239 Posts
lithangw,

I have noticed this also on my 36XBR400. It is very minor on my set. I really have to look hard at it to see it. It is not bothersome at all in my case. Maybe I'm lucky.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PwrTrader, I only saw 36" XBR450 at Costco. The others were at Magnolia in Bellevue, WA. I would not buy from Costco because I can't move such a big TV myself, even with help...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pointer Jim! I found a text file on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10 with instruction on how to go into the service menu to adjust this exact problem (VPIN in the service menu).

The techs I had were useless. They didn't know anything and they pretended they could fix TVs.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could you post the web address of the page with information on how to correct for bowing in the bottom middle of the screen of a 32XBR450 as I'm having the same problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.