AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Trinnov Alt16, Parasound Amps, Martin logan speakers, 120” screen, SVS subs and dedicated media room
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will be ordering a CIII in about 1 month, and I'm planning on one Xtreme dac for the front 3 + sub, and one superior for surround and center back. I may get a 2nd Xtreme for sides and surrounds and skip the back center.

Without taking into consideration the DAC itself, is the side/surround array better (I've heard Theta uses the same signal for both, but time aligns and does a few other things) OR

Is it better to go with a Center Surround Channel? My room isn't that big, so I can't go with sides/rears and center surround.

What configuration do you guys have, and what do you think of the surround speaker array you have?

My room is 12x 19 x 9 high, and my surrounds are above my head and on the side walls, where they should be (dipoles) and I have 2 back surround channels (dipoles) in the ceiling shooting down at the listening position.

Just not sure what's going to give me the most surround envelopment. I don't want 4 speakers on the same horizontal array giving me the same surround material (as would presumably be the case with side/surrounds).

So I'm thinking having the center back channel, and splitting the XLR cable to 2 amp channels, may be the way to go.

Lastly, IS CIRCLE SURROUND meant to work with sides/surrounds or surrounds/center surround configuration?

Thanks all, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Get either 2 xtreme cards or get one xtreme and one standard card. Do not waste money on the superior card unless you buy it used. The sub channel will need the xtreme dacs less than other speakers in your system imo (could be wrong on this point).

The rear center channel is ill advised, I believe it has something to do with the effect of the placement of that channel makes you hear some sounds coming from the rear actually sound like they are coming from the front. Do a search on these forums fo more details if you are interested. Go with 5 speakers or 7 speakers though.

I have a 7 speaker system and I like it very much.

I would go monopoles on your surrounds as with 7 speakers you really do not need the "environmental enhancement" provided by dipoles. I would put your sides and your surrounds on the same height as well (2-3 feet above ear level while seated).

CSII is meant to work on a 6.1 system. If you have 7 speakers, it will divide the rear center info to your two rear speakers.

If the surround board is out by the time you buy your CBIII (I am hopeful but I doubt it :)). You will be able to use PLIIx or CS2 to place different info into your sides and surrounds. Otherwise until then, you can always turn the sides off.

I have a question for you...did you hear anything about when the CBIII surround board will be available?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.