AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to share my home theater build with this community. After finishing it, it didn’t cost as much as I expected. I have $5300 invested into the room, with the chairs taking up almost half of that figure. While it doesn’t hold a candle in size or just awesomeness to majority of people’s setup on the forum, but it’s my own slice of paradise that’s been stewing in my head for a couple years. Background is my wife and I owned 2 acres already and have been saving for years to build and January 2014 we broke ground. Most of the house I let her pick out and/or design, as long as I agreed with her choices. She got her 3100sqft house, as long as I got 2 things I wanted to have full control over, my little movie room and a 2000sqft (50x40x16) metal shop that will be built at same time as the house. I’ve heard horror stories about guys wanting shops and let their wife’s talk them into waiting, then kids come along and they end up never getting it. I refused to have that happen to me. She gracefully allowed me my dreams of a movie room and shop!

To start off, my movie room is 9’x16’ which is tiny to most everyone else’s setup. I suppose this shows the shop was more of a priority to me costing 10x my movie room, even though they both will be used equally. I wanted a center chair, for ideal viewing since I watch more movies than my wife does. I have a single row of 3 Berkline 12003 chairs, which works great since we don’t have kids yet and “plan” on having just 1. I do wish I’d done 5 across now, mainly so when company comes over everyone has a chair. They’d rarely been used, but hindsight is always 20/20. This room came in handy for first 3-4 nights in the house, as we were waiting on bedroom suite to be delivered. Tossed our old mattress on the floor and made it home, plus we had a temp TV in there as well.

I can do a lot of stuff, but wood working isn’t my strong suit so I had the cabinet builders build the front and rear platforms as well as a tray in the ceiling. I dig how the front platform came out, just like I imagined. Also had a chair rail put in, as well as the typical crown and trim moldings that match rest of house.

As far as sound deadening went I just went with double sheet rock. I regret not using Green Stuff at a minimum, but as time goes on I’ll add things to the room dampen the sound.

For paint, I had 3 colors picked out.
- Determined Orange (with additional black added to darken it up): Walls and exterior of tray
- Black Of Night: Screen wall and inside of tray
- Web Gray: All trim, crown molding, chair molding.

For the carpet, I was at a loss for what I wanted. I knew it had to be gray and after hours of searching I finally found a pattern I fell in love with. Bad part is I had no clue on manufacture and what model it was. Hours upon hours of searching carpet websites I finally came across it. Of course I pick the most expensive one, even got a separate quote on it because I couldn’t fathom it was $1500 to do my small room.

For the rest of the build, I took on myself. At this point it’s an empty room with our old couch on the platform, since I had 6-8 weeks to wait for the Berkline chairs to get here. We were living in the house about a month and likely as most guys know, other activities take priority when moving into the house and setting it up. As luck would have it, a month after moving in my birthday was here. Wife asked what I wanted, told her all I ask is I can dedicate the evening (happen to fall on a Friday) to focus on my movie room and to have Bacardi and Dr. Pepper on hand. As luck would have it, they put speaker wires in some wrong locations and in 2 instances I had to drill through a stud to get cable where I wanted. About 5am the next morning, I had everything finished (minus sheet rock work) and working. Took a power nap and we watched our first movie in the room.

For majority of stuff I watch, TV or HTPC, I have really no use for top end equipment. I’d guess you can call what I went with maybe mid-line equipment. 6 months later I have zero regrets on my choices. It’s way too much in terms of volume of sound for the room and I think I’m happy with placement of speakers, but open to suggestions.

Berkline chairs were delivered day before Thanksgiving and since we had it at our house, I had help to get old couch out of the movie room and into the office I had framed in the shop. Over time I had made a few personal DIY additions to the chairs, like under chair lighting and illuminated cup holders (threads below for them) both of which are now controlled with my Harmony Ultimate Home remote. Speaking of remotes, I had a Harmony One for years and always served its purpose, but I happen to come across a sweet deal on eBay last week and got a Ultimate Home for $149 shipped, NEW! I don’t believe the company knew what they had, they thought it was just Ultimate One but pictures showed it had the hub. Love this remote, but still working out the controlling kinks since I had to setup it up from ground up.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread2.php?p=29843770
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread2.php?p=32934001

Now onto my favorite part of the room, my sign! This is one of the things I’ve come across on the forum and knew I had to have one. Shout out to BIGmouthinDC for the font!!
I kicked around several ideas on how to accomplish it and I had a buddy (owner of MTI Audio) who built his own CNC machine for his personal use. I asked if he’d be willing to help me out and he agreed. I initially had it drawn in CAD to determine width and height. I initially planned to cut it out of steel or aluminum and have it powdercoated, but he suggested using something called AluPanel. Basically 2 thin sheets of brushed aluminum with solid plastic between them all glued together. This not only made the sign very light, but also lay completely flat against my wall since he can use a router bit and not plasma touch to cut it out on the CNC. I asked to keep the scrap outline so I could hang it on the wall to make sure letters are centered and evenly spaced. I couldn't have accomplished my sign, nor would it have come out so awesome, if it wasn't for MTI Audio.

Now I had to light up the sign, which is an easy choice to use 3-10W 5500K LED flood lights from Amazon. But to control it, that was the difficult part. I could accomplish it several ways but my main concern was that it had to be controlled on my Lutron dimmer switch so when I enter or leave the room it’ll come on/off. I also wanted it to be controlled so when I PLAY a movie it’ll fade off with sconces, when PAUSE/STOP a movie it’ll fade back on with sconces. Only way to accomplish this was to run a Romex down the center of the rear wall, through the fire stop and to a new outlet. In the attic I pigtailed my sconce wiring, so anything plugged into the outlet will turn on/off with sconces as well as dim with them. I have my under chair lighting and the LED flood lights plugged into it.

Since I’ve rambled on probably longer than anyone would rather read, I’ll end it here. Calloway Cinema is done, looked it up on FB if you’d like. I had cervical fusion beginning of year and was off for almost 7 weeks, to be honest I practically lived in my movie room. I logged 631hrs on the projector during that time and enjoyed every minute of it.

EQUIPMENT
110” Elite Screen
Optoma HD141X Projector
Yamaha RX-V775WA A/V Receiver
HTPC (Intel i3, 8GB RAM & Win7) Running MediaBrowser (Also Known As Emby)
4 Polk Audio TL250 Surround Speakers
2 Polk Audio RC85i In-Wall Speakers
1 Polk Audio TL2 Center Channel Speaker
1 Polk Audio PSW505 Subwoofer
Berkline 12003 Theater Chairs – Top grain leather, power recline with tables

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great example of what you can do with a small room. Really like the photo views of the rear of the room with sign, sconces, molding and lighting. Enjoy
Appreciate it! I couldn't recall who to give props for the font, but I'm pretty sure it was you. Anastasia font, right?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great budget theater.. I hope mine turns out half as nice.

I enjoy seeing other small room projects. Seems like most threads here have 25 x 15 rooms or bigger and that leaves me very envious. I'll have about 22' length, but am stuck with only about 10.5' width. So I'll have a tad more width than you, but not a lot.

Love the sign!!! The lighting is very classy and seems to match the art deco style of the sign.. very cool!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, but your letters are bigger than mine!
Fixing to update the thread to make sure to give credit where it's due. I couldn't find a font I like to save my life, until I saw your setup. Thanks for telling me the name!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great budget theater.. I hope mine turns out half as nice.

I enjoy seeing other small room projects. Seems like most threads here have 25 x 15 rooms or bigger and that leaves me very envious. I'll have about 22' length, but am stuck with only about 10.5' width. So I'll have a tad more width than you, but not a lot.

Love the sign!!! The lighting is very classy and seems to match the art deco style of the sign.. very cool!
I appreciate it! Same here, wish I'd gone bigger at times, but sometimes I think it's perfect.

It sounds like you have it deep enough you may could get away with 2 rows of chairs and likely a little larger screen.

I'm not sure which style was even going for, just winged it along the way and turned out great! Now that you call it art deco style, I have to agree with you on that! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts