AVS Forum banner

5661 - 5680 of 7915 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Just tried one with Studio. No dice.
Thank you for your hard work on your free release.
Actually I downloaded yours to post my feedback but they were not allowed in my Studio version.
Thanks, guys. Dang! There's no way I'm doing Home if it invalidates my Enthusiast license. We'll have to wait for the 411 ...

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Looking at the feature matrix on the CalMAN website, it appears that Studio and Video Pro are the same price at $1995, but you have to read the entire list and decide which features are most important to you. There is no middle ground between $2K and $3K in pricing. Extremely poorly done, SpectraCal! If your goal was to lose customers, I think you are succeeding nicely in that...:mad:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Looking at the feature matrix on the CalMAN website, it appears that Studio and Video Pro are the same price at $1995, but you have to read the entire list and decide which features are most important to you. There is no middle ground between $2K and $3K in pricing. Extremely poorly done, SpectraCal! If your goal was to lose customers, I think you are succeeding nicely in that...:mad:
There was speculation earlier in the thread that was the goal - customers like us Home Enthusiasts are not wanted and will be shown the door.

Leaving the other two groups:
  • Single-TV home users who will buy the "home" version and be extremely limited, far fewer features than the current "Home Enthusiast" model.
  • Professional calibrators.
They don't want any other kind of customer in between, I fear :(

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
There was speculation earlier in the thread that was the goal - customers like us Home Enthusiasts are not wanted and will be shown the door.

Leaving the other two groups:
  • Single-TV home users who will buy the "home" version and be extremely limited, far fewer features than the current "Home Enthusiast" model.
  • Professional calibrators.
They don't want any other kind of customer in between, I fear :(
I think this hearkens back to how larger companies operate these days. Every division and/or workcenter is judged on a profit vs. cost basis. This begs the questions: what did the acquisition of SpectraCal cost Portrait Displays, and how highly was the purchase leveraged? It could be that the existing pricing structure plus maintenance fees wasn't giving the return on investment (ROI) that they wanted, so they went upmarket with products and pricing, deleted some support functions including their user forum, and in an attempt (a clumsy one, IMHO) to retain a DIY customer base, are introducing the greatly restricted Home products. Boo!

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
... and in an attempt (a clumsy one, IMHO) to retain a DIY customer base, are introducing the greatly restricted Home products. Boo!
“Greatly restricted” is conjecture at this point. That is my complaint—details for Home edition should have been released by now, unless it is just Vaporware.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
“Greatly restricted” is conjecture at this point. That is my complaint—details for Home edition should have been released by now, unless it is just Vaporware.
Seeing as how SpectraCal has already said that each different Home version will cover a single make of display with autocal capability while the current Enthusiast does them all, I stand by my phrase "greatly restricted". I agree, they should have released full Home details along with the EOL announcement for Enthusiast...

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,879 Posts
Seeing as how SpectraCal has already said that each different Home version will cover a single make of display with autocal capability while the current Enthusiast does them all, I stand by my phrase "greatly restricted". I agree, they should have released full Home details along with the EOL announcement for Enthusiast...
Not disagreeing, but both of my displays are Sony's, so that particular restriction doesn't affect me (for now).

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Not disagreeing, but both of my displays are Sony's, so that particular restriction doesn't affect me (for now).
It may affect me. I have a 2016 Samsung KS8000, which can be autocal'ed. I also have two Lumagen Radiance 202x processors, which can also be autocal'ed. Will I need to have separate versions of Home for this? The silence from SpectraCal is deafening.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It may affect me. I have a 2016 Samsung KS8000, which can be autocal'ed. I also have two Lumagen Radiance 202x processors, which can also be autocal'ed. Will I need to have separate versions of Home for this? The silence from SpectraCal is deafening.
That would be pretty hilarious, you might need two licenses to AutoCal a LUT setup :eek:

·
Registered
972 Posts
There won’t be a Lumagen “Home” version or any kind of LUT box video processor support on the “new” Home. Support for those devices is limited to the Video Pro/Studio/Ultimate. But you can still use your Enthusiast version for those.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
There won’t be a Lumagen “Home” version or any kind of LUT box video processor support on the “new” Home. Support for those devices is limited to the Video Pro/Studio/Ultimate. But you can still use your Enthusiast version for those.
Which is exactly what i plan to do. No "upgrade" for me, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmm..crap!...probably no upgrade for me either!....been calman user since day 1......(before that had the smart calibration system with the excel thing.. :D )....since i only use calman for my home equip.. that includes lumagen autocal on my projector..i think the new "home" editions is out of question....NOT happy.....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I really hope ColorSpace (from the LightSpace makers) will have better GUI than LS for manual calibrations - If this is the case I will trade my CalMan License for sure to get ColorSpace. What Spectracal is doing is just ridiculous, far from good customer service. If you make your clients (especially non-pro enthusiasts) give up their interest for calibration - you simply dont care about any of them.
Feel sorry for the pros also, I think everyone of them invests a lot of money for equipment, travel and learning - they also need their earned money like everyone else. Then SpectraCal comes with their great new ideas and raises the annual fees (that is A LOT of money) while the product itself does not really gets better. A lot of them gave good ideas how to make CalMan better, but nobody listens...

I know that I wont pay anything, I am done with CalMan. I have my enthusiast license and like I said, if ColorSpace gets the things I need for manual calibration I will trade my license. This story really hurts, I am at a point now where I am loosing my passion for calibrations as it becomes more "press a button,wait and pay for it" (while the results are far from good - see autocal). The real knowledge gets lost here, to know and learn how something works and why things behave like they do.

I am done with spectracal and dont feel good while writing this, I think the potential was huge but it simply fell into wrong hands.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
A couple of comments:
1) Everyone is making all kinds of assumptions about CM Home when we have not seen any official data on the product yet.
2) I always said CM Enthusiast was a "good value", even with the $69/year maintenance for all the features a home calibrator was getting. Now everyone is realizing just how good we had it.
3) For those who think Autocal has delegated the calibration process to just pressing buttons, they have missed a lot. You can still manually calibrate but for those tough sets, like the Sony and the Samsung, Autocal is just one tool to help speed up and get more consistent results. It gives the calibrator more time to evaluate and make adjustments, when needed based on their experience. Just like manually calibrating, everyone has their own process when using CM Autocal. For the LG, once the 3D LUT works better, you are at a point where you can do more with autocal than you can do manually with user controls.
4) Now that the product is more expensive, or very expensive, it's at a point where users are going to expect "near" perfection and not what we were sometimes getting with official releases. This is really what's going to make or break this product. We will have to see what happens.

No one likes change and no one likes the changes to this product but if the end result is a superior product, then this may be a good thing at the end of the day depending on your perspective. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Edit: All these changes look very familiar to me when a large company buys a smaller company and "re-tools" a product.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
A couple of comments:
1) Everyone is making all kinds of assumptions about CM Home when we have not seen any official data on the product yet.
2) I always said CM Enthusiast was a "good value", even with the $69/year maintenance for all the features a home calibrator was getting. Now everyone is realizing just how good we had it.
3) For those who think Autocal has delegated the calibration process to just pressing buttons, they have missed a lot. You can still manually calibrate but for those tough sets, like the Sony and the Samsung, Autocal is just one tool to help speed up and get more consistent results. It gives the calibrator more time to evaluate and make adjustments, when needed based on their experience. Just like manually calibrating, everyone has their own process when using CM Autocal. For the LG, once the 3D LUT works better, you are at a point where you can do more with autocal than you can do manually with user controls.
4) Now that the product is more expensive, or very expensive, it's at a point where users are going to expect "near" perfection and not what we were sometimes getting with official releases. This is really what's going to make or break this product. We will have to see what happens.

No one likes change and no one likes the changes to this product but if the end result is a superior product, then this may be a good thing at the end of the day depending on your perspective. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Edit: All these changes look very familiar to me when a large company buys a smaller company and "re-tools" a product.
I've been through two so-called mergers and it's never easy. The first one (Rational Software over Objectory Corp.) killed the latter's superior competing product (OK, it was written in Smalltalk) but revised its own C++ design. I was in Objectory and it was rough going. But we survived for the most part. Thankfully I retired from my last long job (Cablevision) before it's acquisition by a French corp.

I'm not sure if I'll survive SpectraCal, but we need to see what Home is like before deciding. Maybe reduced functionality is offset by better performance and design factors, I don't know. As John mentioned, even though it's not perfect AutoCal makes the job a lot easier. I always tweak after. But they better come up with facts real soon before too many jump ship.

Let's hope for a good outcome.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Makes nothing but economic sense.

- New home will be pitched to newbies as "best color engine" (not) and cover mass market.

- Calibrator versions are what brings in the annual fees which is still a noticable bulk of revenue and the business model everyone wants to get going (get paid for people not necessarily using your product). Then you want to slowly raise the price on those - which is what they are doing (by removing less pricey SKUs).

- Confusion in between to raise the incidences of accidental purchase which leads to double spending.

Spectracal is making money!

Also close the official forums, because who needs a 10 year old knowledge base. For us it was invaluable - and the work of hundreds of their users. For their management its just identified as empty spending.

They are selling workflows, not necessarily knowledge.

I wonder when the "may want to stay away from that company..." sentiments start to take overhand. They did everything to provoke it.

The only thing you need is for calibrators to take a stand against it, but its their livelyhood (they sell the pdfs (documentation) the program creates. :)), so they probably wont. So newbies will still be buying.

Works.

One of the only evolutions in past years was that pattern generators became cheap. Now Calman is trying to take that price span by making they tiers that support them more expensive. :) They are selling already finished implementations of open source network protocols for literally thousands of dollars for the next ten years. Its wonderful. :)

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Makes nothing but economic sense.

- New home will be pitched to n00bs as "best color engine" (not) and cover mass market.

- Calibrator versions are what brings in the annual fees which is still a noticable bulk of revenue and the business model everyone wants to get going (get paid for people not necessarily using your product). Then you want to slowly raise the price on those - which is what they are doing (by removing less pricey skus).

- Confusion in between to raise the incidences of accidental purchase which leads to double spending.

Spectracal is making money!

Also close the official forums, because who needs a 10 year old knowledge base. For us it was invaluable - and the work of hundreds of their users. For their management its just identified as empty spending.

I wonder when the "may want stay away from that company..." sentiments start to take overhand. They did everything to provoke it.

The only thing you need is for calibrators to mak a stand against it, but its their livelyhood, so they probably wont. So the n00bs will still be buying.

Works.
When I see a company reducing a product offering usually it means they are re-writing it or major parts of it and they don't want to maintain a lot of versions. I'm not saying that's what's happening here but it sure does look like it could be. If I had to guess, PD probably looked that the product line up and decided while it might have been good many years ago, times have changed and to them, the new line up makes more sense and will be more cost effective. Especially if they are re-writing in order to try and make CM the best or one of the best color engines. An effort like this takes development staff and the money needed to support it.

I have no idea what the CM user base consists of therefore we will never really be able to understand their motives unless they share it with us. If I had to guess I would say that the bulk of their users are pro's who have the business license and are paying the yearly maintenance vs everyone else. It was fun having an Enthusiast/Pro group on the forums, exchanging ideas, etc.. We will have to see what this product "morphs" into once we get more information and new software.

If i had one request for PD it would be to announce the details of CM Home and lay out a basic "road map" on what they are or are not doing with the product so everyone can make a good informed decision and know where the product is trying to go and what we are expecting to see.:) If they are making significant investments to make the product one of the best, then they should say so. :)

Reactions: AnotherDude

·
Registered
792 Posts
When I see a company reducing a product offering usually it means they are re-writing it or major parts of it and they don't want to maintain a lot of versions.
Not the only reason, but yes - its a possible one. :) But then, whats a Video Pro and a Studio (Pro?) version? Does the video pro not work in a studio? (*silly mode off..*) Does the consumer not want studio quality in their homes?

Even that differenciation is silly. ;) And leaves people scratching their heads. The whole "feature bundling" game is a racket to begin with, give people the features they need by giving them what they need, and what they might need. Thats a solid business interaction, not bundling, segmenting, and in the end ending up selling network protocols to people for thousands of dollars.

If that really happens, I'm laughing all the way home.. :)

They are not only reducing price tiers, they are also pushing new (and eventually existing) customers into higher priced ones. Thats the subscription model lategame... ;)

Great deal for our existing customers for a limited time - offer, sign now.

5661 - 5680 of 7915 Posts