AVS Forum banner

7341 - 7360 of 7902 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I couldn't resist testing the new Bodnar profiling method, which is the most significant improvement for ages with the new Calman 2020 Beta. I just made a quick 2p WB adjustment with the Spectro and aimed 130 nits to have some headroom for the i1Pro2 because it can't handle well low light measurements under ten nits. Then I did two profiles, one with the new Bodnar method and one with the traditional FCCM method and compared both of them. The results are much better than expected. Already my first attempt with Bodnar was inside the NIST tolerance while the FCCM profile ended in a red Y error of almost 7%, and I was very quick and accurate. This caused the red push, which can be seen in my picture for the peak white measurement. Compared to the approach of the Volumetric Probe Matching in LightSpace and ColourSpace which is a pain in the ass because it costs time and also causing some trouble at the moment see here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3043520-lg-oled-s-3d-lut-profiling-using-lightspace-thread-43.html#post59562824 the Bodnar profile is created in no time and will safe me a lot of time during my field calibrations. Well done PD :)

Setup:
LG 65 C8 FW 5.10.45
Calman 2020 Beta 1
Klein K10-A
X-Rite i1Pro2
Multi-Pass Measurements

FCCM

Bodnar

FCCM

Bodnar

Spectro Reference

FCCM

Bodnar

In my best Darth Vader voice: "Most impressive!"

Spoiler please, Rolls! In my best Anakin voice: NOOOOOOOOO!

I'm actually waiting for a couple of lightsaber hilts to ship :).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Anyone with the Beta able to get the Samsung IP-based DDC connect to work? I get "Exception: WinHttpSendRequest: 12029: A connection with the server could not be established". Q90R, firmware 1356.
I take it that's only for the 2019 models, not the 2018, correct? So it won't work for my Q9FN.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I couldn't resist testing the new Bodnar profiling method, which is the most significant improvement for ages with the new Calman 2020 Beta. I just made a quick 2p WB adjustment with the Spectro and aimed 130 nits to have some headroom for the i1Pro2 because it can't handle well low light measurements under ten nits. Then I did two profiles, one with the new Bodnar method and one with the traditional FCCM method and compared both of them. The results are much better than expected. Already my first attempt with Bodnar was inside the NIST tolerance while the FCCM profile ended in a red Y error of almost 7%, and I was very quick and accurate. This caused the red push, which can be seen in my picture for the peak white measurement. Compared to the approach of the Volumetric Probe Matching in LightSpace and ColourSpace which is a pain in the ass because it costs time and also causing some trouble at the moment see here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3043520-lg-oled-s-3d-lut-profiling-using-lightspace-thread-43.html#post59562824 the Bodnar profile is created in no time and will safe me a lot of time during my field calibrations. Well done PD :)
Yes, definitely well done. Played with it earlier and I finally have something outside of LS to verify LS LUTs. Now I have to figure out how to import the client database from CM 2019 and sound effects for meter reads.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Now I have to figure out how to import the client database from CM 2019 and sound effects for meter reads.
This is written in the E-Mail from PD

Backup calibration database:
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\ProgramData\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 {YOURVERSIONNAME}\Data\
Copy the Calibrations.s3db file to another location, like your desktop

Restore the calibration database:
Copy the Calibrations.s3db file you backed up above
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\ProgramData\Portrait Displays\Calman 5 for Business\Data\
Overwrite the default Calibrations.s3db file in the Data folder
Important: Do not overwrite the folders created by the Calman 2020 with the folders you backed up. The contents of the specific folders should be restored as followed.

Reactions: riddle

·
Registered
475 Posts
I see very good results using the Bodner meter profiling method on my C8. My I1D3 pro plus now compares very well with my I1Pro 2.

It compared a smidge better to my I1Pro 2 when I used the renamed FSI OLED profile as a base compared with using the Raw profile as a base for the Bodner profile.

When you create a Bodner profile off of another profile, is that original profile still in play?

Please change the last page of the Meter Profiling workflow in Home for LG. It puts up a 100% patch on my OLED that can't be taken down when I compare any color/white after the initial screen. The OLED screen should remain neutral regardless of which color is compared. I will write this up on a feedback also.

LeRoy

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
I see very good results using the Bodner meter profiling method on my C8. My I1D3 pro plus now compares very well with my I1Pro 2.

It compared a smidge better to my I1Pro 2 when I used the renamed FSI OLED profile as a base compared with using the Raw profile as a base for the Bodner profile.

When you create a Bodner profile off of another profile, is that original profile still in play?
Wow, be careful! You should NOT create a profile (either Bodner or FCMM) from anything other than RawXYZ. This is fundamental to what a profile is and the mathematics behind it. Eg FCMM is based on the fact the the filters in a colorimeter will match the colour matching function of CIE observer. That's how they are both manufactured and then tested in the factory. When you use any EDR, it alters the response of the meters readings which can lead to unexpected or random readings. While it might work, you cannot be sure (you've deviated from how the meter was created and should be used) - and what you are doing is neither the Bodner method or FCMM, it's your own method not supported by X-Rite or Calman! You should definitely use RawXYZ mode. This is one reason Tyler is very clear in his video with the correct advice: make sure you do it all in RawXYZ mode.

Great that you've got good results - I'm not installed yet, being careful with my settings first and a little swamped.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Hi Tyler- is it expected that intelligent read averaging addresses the issues people were having with fixed grid LUTs when using the id3 on LG OLEDs?
It'll give you similar averaging options like we already have for the C6 meters, but both meters still desperately need AIO mode to be able to read the dark blue areas (that is only an example before someone tries to jump on it). more accurately.
Taking multiple readings in non-AIO mode and averaging them will never be as good as actually using AIO mode (and then averaging those, if you like) - by definition. These meters can provide more accurate readings in their AIO mode (I think - I'm having doubts now because I can't remember where I read it, and I have too many notes to look through!). Hence, the promised version which has AIO mode can't happen soon enough ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks @mrtickleuk, I will use the Bodner I created with RawXYZ from now on. The results were very similar.

LeRoy

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Thanks @mrtickleuk, I will use the Bodner I created with RawXYZ from now on. The results were very similar.

LeRoy
You're welcome - also note - you have to use RawXYZ both when you create the profile and when you use it. Also, the meter settings (LLH trigger, exposure times, averaging etc) all have to be the same when you create and use the profile.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
This is written in the E-Mail from PD
I didn't see how to restore the sound effects in that document. I miss them, especially the one at the end of a series.

Does the button of your i1pro2 still work? With this beta, I get an error when I try to use the button to initialise the i1pro2. It used to work fine with all the previous versions (at least until 5.10.x).

Using the button is very handy when your meter is by the screen on a tripod and your calibration laptop is far away.

I have to bring a mouse to the screen, or use remote desktop just to initialise the i1pro2. Taking the i1pro2 off the tripod to put it on the plate every time isn't an option.

[EDIT: my mistake, the button function had been reset to the default (F5 - Single Read). I set ti to F4 - Meter Initialisation and it's working fine again.]

@WiFi-Spy, what about the 13x13x13 fixed LUT promised a long time ago? It would be very handy between the 9x9x9 (too small) and 17x17x17 (four hours with the Discus).

Nice to have madVR functional again, thanks for having fixed this :)

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
I didn't see how to restore the sound effects in that document. I miss them, especially the one at the end of a series.
Please don't tell me the sounds have gone - that's a deal-breaker! :eek:

Re: 13x13x13 fixed LUT - I know I pleaded for it, but it didn't know that it was accepted or promised. Hope it was and I missed that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
@Manni01, I don't use a tripod, I use the on screen attachment, so calibrating is a pain. When I was bringing the I1Pro 2 to the calibration attachment, I accidentally hit the button, Calman 2020 reported an error because the meter had not been calibrated.

@mrtickleuk, I have not heard a sound yet from Calman 2020 beta. I really think both the scan and finish sounds are needed.

Reactions: Manni01

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
@Manni01, I don't use a tripod, I use the on screen attachment, so calibrating is a pain. When I was bringing the I1Pro 2 to the calibration attachment, I accidentally hit the button, Calman 2020 reported an error because the meter had not been calibrated.

@mrtickleuk, I have not heard a sound yet from Calman 2020 beta. I really think both the scan and finish sounds are needed.
Oops, I just realised that following the installation of the beta the button function had been reset to "F5 - Single read". I set it to F4 - Meter Initialise and it's working fine again. :eek:

If you don't want the button to do anything, you can disable it. It's the last option in the meter settings.

Completely forgot it was a user defined feature, the last time I set it was probably five or 6 years ago :)

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Please don't tell me the sounds have gone - that's a deal-breaker! :eek:

Re: 13x13x13 fixed LUT - I know I pleaded for it, but it didn't know that it was accepted or promised. Hope it was and I missed that.
I'm sure the sounds will come back, don't worry. They are optional anyway, so can be enabled/disabled depending on user preference.

You, me and a few others asked for 13x13x13 as soon as the fixed LUTs appeared. My understanding was that it's been on its way ever since.

Hopefully it be here soon.

7341 - 7360 of 7902 Posts