AVS Forum banner

8401 - 8420 of 8443 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The Beta bug fix list is ... very short. Do non-LG-specific issues still get worked on? Even the simple issue of displaying the correct License ID is still not fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will test this weekend if AIO mode is finally corrected.
In calman 2020 using AIO mode, 2.3 and 4.6 patchs on greyscale multipoint are always wrong: they are strongly blue.
Using auto mode result is fine.

I have a Panasonic GZ950E and a Xrite I1 pro (not the latest version which support up to 2000nits).

Also, it would be better to have an edr for woled and I1pro. We just have Raw xyz mode and not everyone have access to a spectro.

Regards.

·
Registered
661 Posts
@WiFi-Spy - As requested, I'm moving this conversation over here from my original post in the CalMan Home for LG thread. Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks!

C6 HDR2000 Settings - Is it recommended to use the following default low-light handler settings? e.g. Standard=1-sample, Low-light=5-samples, Trigger=1-nit.

C6 HDR2000 Certification - I noticed that my C6 HDR2000 came with a certificate that states its DeltaE values for R/G/B...
Are these values taken into account during calibration?

C6 HDR2000 EDRs - What is the difference between the following two EDRs and which one should I use?
OLED (White) – LG, Panasonic
OLED (White) – LG, Panasonic, FSI, Sony 2018

2019 Game Mode Pattern Generator - I have a 2019 77C9, but was watching the 2020 CX guides out of curiosity and noticed that it was required to use an external source other than the ITPG to calibrate HDR10 Game Mode.
Is this also required on 2019 models (I have a VideoForge PRO, but am curious and sometimes find it easier to just use the ITPG)?
How about Dolby Vision Game Mode (Xbox just started utilizing this)?

CalMan Pro Color Checker - I've noticed in CalMan Pro (2020 & 2021) that the Workflow Basic Options doesn't perform Pre/Post Cal Capture Color Checker Classic tests in the LG AutoCal template while this seems to be the default in CalMan Home. It instead just takes Primary/Secondary Color measurements. I tried checking the box for Color Checker Classic in the Pre/Post Cal Capture, but it doesn't affect the workflow.
Is this a known issue in CalMan Pro 2020 and 2021?
If so, is there a workaround/fix?

1D LUT AutoCal Setup DeltaE Target - I noticed that the default is 0.5, but I don't see why this is the target in the tutorial videos or articles.
Is there any reason why you could/should lower this in SDR?
How about in HDR?

1D LUT AutoCal Manual Adjustments - Is there a way to make manual adjustments after the 1D LUT AutoCal?
I've noticed that there are ocassionaly points with more significant errors and I'm accustomed to being able to make multiple passes while manually calibrating to get the White Balance DeltaE as low as possible.

Fixed Grid, 21 points - I ran a 21-point Fixed Grid 3D LUT AutoCal with CalMan Home 2021 that had good DeltaE results, but had a terrible magenta artifacts/posterization in certain dark blue colors. I did a DDC Reset last night and re-ran a 9-point Fixed Grid which fixed the issue.
Is Portrait aware of issues with the 21-point Fixed Grid in CalMan 2021?
If so, what is the recommended workaround?

ITPG Pattern Delay - I ran a Pattern Delay optimization and it lowered my delay to 0.25. Is this ok?

Panel/Ambient Temperature - I was running another SDR calibration last night to fix some issues I saw with my initial calibration and I noticed that the panel was staying under 80degF the entire calibration.
Is this too cool based on your previous comments about 82-85degF?
My room gets pretty cool at night due to turning the heat off and I was wondering if the environment needs to be a certain temperature to keep the panel at the right temperature as well?

Dolby Vision Colorspace - Is it correct to use DCI P3 for Dolby Vision? DCI P3 is the workflow default and what is in the tutorial videos, but its never mentioned and I wasn't sure why Dolby Vision is DCI P3 while HDR10 is rec.2020.

Pattern Insertiion/Stabilization -I'm currently using 45/5/25 & 1/1/10 respectively and have both enabled.
Is it recommended to use both simulatneously?
What settings is Portrait finding optimal?
Are the recommendations different depending on whether an SDR or HDR calibration is being performed?

LG 2021 Models - I'm planning on picking up a new 2021 model once I can get my hands on one.
Is CalMan 2021 working with them yet?

Cube DeltaE Formula - If de_ITP is recommended for DeltaE Formula these days, how about Cube DeltaE Formula which defaults to dE2000?
Would Cube DeltaE Formula also benefit from de_ITP?

AWP - I saw that you stated that you're using .305/.322 to perceptually match to a Judd matched RGB OLED, and that you once used .3073/.3214 to match a 2017 LG OLED to a Sony PVM CRT.
Would you consider your .3073/.3214 AWP to be superseded at this point by the .305/.322 AWP?
Does the optimal AWP depend on the year, size, model of the WOLED panel or are they all close enough?
Any idea why some people are finding different AWP's depending on LG OLED sizes?
Would you recommend the .305/.322 AWP for all SDR, HDR, and DoVi picture modes?

PC Mode - I use PC Mode for a couple different sources so they can receive 4:4:4 at 120Hz...
Do the PC Picture Modes adopt the non-PC counterpart of the same Picture Mode?

CalMan Pro Shared Session - Is there a way to share a session for multiple calibrations in a single session in CalMan Pro so I can run a report at the end and see how all the calibrations faired in a single report?
If so would I be able to contain SDR Expert Dark, SDR Expert Bright, SDR Game, HDR Cinema, HDR Game, DoVi Cinema, and DoVi Game all in a single report?

Reactions: Dreamer2018

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Also, it would be better to have an edr for woled and I1pro. We just have Raw xyz mode and not everyone have access to a spectro.

Regards.
If you have a C6, there is one that Portrait creates for those meters only. For the I1D3, Portrait has stated that CalMAN is limited to using the XRite SDK EDRs by their OEM reseller agreement with XRite. Until XRite itself adds a WOLED EDR to the SDK, there won't be one.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
C6 HDR2000 Certification - I noticed that my C6 HDR2000 came with a certificate that states its DeltaE values for R/G/B...
Are these values taken into account during calibration?
That certificate is to reassure the buyer that the meter meets published specs, nothing more. It would be impossible to take this into account for your calibration. For one thing, dE doesn't tell you in which direction the meter varies, only that it lies a certain distance from the target value, and you absolutely would have to have the directional info to build a correction. They would have to build an individual EDR for every single C6 they sell, and that is simply not practical. The answer is a meter profile done by a user on his or her individual display using his or her individual meter and a reference spectro. That way variance in both the display and colorimeter are accounted for.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
For those of us that were still on Home Enthusiast with the extended license, is 5.11.1.107 the final version we will receive?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was reviewing the SpectraCal VideoForge PRO Guide and noticed it says:
HDTV SDR Content Calibration (video monitors & consumer TVs)
VideoForge PRO Source Settings options for HDTV SDR content:
  • Color Format: YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit
  • BT.2020: Disabled
  • HDR: Off
Note: When enabling BT.2020 color space for SDR, the Color Format should be set to “RGB Limited,” as the VideoForge PRO does not support correct BT.2020 triplets for YCbCr output.
Why is the standard recommendation for SDR to use 4:2:2 over 4:4:4?
And why is it recommended to use 8-bit over 10-bit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,409
I was reviewing the SpectraCal VideoForge PRO Guide and noticed it says:

Why is the standard recommendation for SDR to use 4:2:2 over 4:4:4?
And why is it recommended to use 8-bit over 10-bit?

Thanks!
That is old information, the VFP Had a firmware update several years ago that fixed YCBCR BT.2020

·
Registered
661 Posts
That is old information, the VFP Had a firmware update several years ago that fixed YCBCR BT.2020
What settings should I be using then to calibrate SDR then?
How about HDR10 & DoVi given that the SDR information is outdated?

·
Registered
235 Posts
As far as I know when I do autocal for HDR and Dolby Vision calman force the tv to 2.2 gamma and the calibration based on 2.2 gamma.
So if I want to calibrate HDR and Dolby Vision with manual workflow how can I force the tv to use 2.2 gamma for calibration? Or just autocal works with this method?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,412
What settings should I be using then to calibrate SDR then?
How about HDR10 & DoVi given that the SDR information is outdated?
I use RGB limited 8bit for SDR and HDR, For Dolby Vision the generator automatically uses rgb full because of the RGB Tunneling of 12bit YCBCR into 8bit rgb full that DV uses.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I use RGB limited 8bit for SDR and HDR, For Dolby Vision the generator automatically uses rgb full because of the RGB Tunneling of 12bit YCBCR into 8bit rgb full that DV uses.
RGB Limited 8-bit makes more sense to me for SDR. Why does the guide recommend YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit though even for Rec.709?

Wouldn't you want to use RGB Limited 10-bit though for HDR10?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,414
RGB Limited 8-bit makes more sense to me for SDR. Why does the guide recommend YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit though even for Rec.709?

Wouldn't you want to use RGB Limited 10-bit though for HDR10?
The guide has generic advice, I am giving you LG specific recommendations based on years of testing.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The guide has generic advice, I am giving you LG specific recommendations based on years of testing.
Awesome. I appreciate that. I'll stick with RGB Limited 8-bit for SDR.

Just curious though why you recommend 8-bit over 10-bit for HDR10 though?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,416
Awesome. I appreciate that. I'll stick with RGB Limited 8-bit for SDR.

Just curious though why you recommend 8-bit over 10-bit for HDR10 though?
VideoForge Pro and Murideo 6G Only support receiving 8 bit values from Calman. They can output 10bit signal, but cannot address discreet 10bit values that cannot be shifted from 8 bit values. So the generator itself converts 8 to 10. So there really is no benefit if you’re just measuring window patterns. In practice you should see zero difference either way.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i1 display pro dosn't work with the diffuser ON in calman?? i have been trying to take some measurments from my projector lens with the diffuser in place, but calman keeps telling me "The diffuser must be removed for luminance readings"

·
Registered
204 Posts
i ended up with 5.6.0.2180 - so no HDR
i couldn't justify upgrading all my stuff for HDR back in 2015
but, now i have a PJ that does 4K HDR
i would have to purchase Calman again at full price, nothing for past loyalty
what are my options for calibrating my PJ HDR w/o spending a fortune
not really interested in getting back in the calibration business
i have (2) i1pro, C6, HDG-4000 signal generator

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I'm pretty sure that HDG-4000 doesn't do HDR. You'll need another (HDR) generator, the DVS HDR pattern disc, or an HDFury Linker or higher to insert HDR metadata into the Accupel's RGB patterns.

·
Registered
204 Posts
exactly, the 4000 doesn't do HDR
is the Linker a real solution?
what software could i use as my Calman doesn't do HDR

8401 - 8420 of 8443 Posts