AVS Forum banner

8421 - 8440 of 8443 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
exactly, the 4000 doesn't do HDR
is the Linker a real solution?
what software could i use as my Calman doesn't do HDR
Yes, the Linker is a "real" solution. It will "mux" (inject) the needed HDR metadata into the patterns produced by the HDG-4000, assuming you have the HDG set to provide full-range RGB and not YCbCr. YCbCr is mathemetically different between SDR and HDR, so unless you have a $$$ HDR generator that can output it (in which case you wouldn't need a Linker), you have to stick with RGB. Which software to upgrade to is up to you based on your own research. Each package has pros and cons as far as learning curve, supported equipment, and other things go. Only you can decide which tradeoffs you're willing to make.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@WiFi-Spy Is there a plan to compensate users that have problems Calman with the results of the "legacy" LUT engine?

In my opinion it would be fair to at least provide users with the final version of Calman 2021 if they have bought Calman within the latest year or so thinking it would provide good results.

My license expires within a month and given that I wasn't provided with a refund this would a very reasonable compensation in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,423
@WiFi-Spy Is there a plan to compensate users that got Calman with the "legacy" LUT engine?

In my opinion it would be fair to at least provide users with the final version of Calman 2021 if they have bought Calman within the latest year or so thinking it would provide good results.

My license expires within a month and given that I wasn't provided with a refund this would a very reasonable compensation in my opinion.
If you’re able to run the beta with your license, then you will be able to run the final version that will be out in a few weeks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So I had Calman Home Enthusiast installed on a laptop that no longer works, which means i can't deactivate in order to install on another machine. What are my options?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,425
So I had Calman Home Enthusiast installed on a laptop that no longer works, which means i can't deactivate in order to install on another machine. What are my options?
Contact our support team on portrait.com and they can help you with your license.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Salut @ Wifi-Spy ,

I downloaded the Beta version.

Can you explain for this new Pattern insertion menu the difference between (Time based) and (patch count based)?
the first option is known. No worries but how to approach the second.
Should we select both options?

Do you have any recommendations for OLED?

Kind regards
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
The second pattern insertion option will display a 0% (black) full screen patch after every calibration patch for 0.75 seconds. It's used when you are creating a new 3D LUT like the Fixed Grid 9 on the LG to keep the panel more stable during all the reads. You can try 0%, or 10%. See which works best in your situation. For the Sony and Panasonic and the Samsung you can try it but it's not really necessary. Just use the first full field pattern insertion for those TVs.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Salut @ Wifi-Spy ,

I downloaded the Beta version.

Can you explain for this new Pattern insertion menu the difference between (Time based) and (patch count based)?
the first option is known. No worries but how to approach the second.
Should we select both options?

Do you have any recommendations for OLED?

Kind regards View attachment 3119866
Here is Tyler's explanation of it in the "Home for LG" thread: Home for LG #4,975

·
Registered
JBL SDP-55, Tascam ML-16D, 3x Bryston 6B SST, 9B SST, 2B-LP, 3x Dynaudio Contour S1.4, 12x Cont. SR
336 Posts
DDC control not working

Hi, I hope that I am in the right thread...

I am currently running CalMAN 5.2.3.1416 with a C6 colorimeter. I want to calibrate my legacy JVC DLA-RS50s. I have read and am following the notes provided on portrait.com regarding the calibration of these JVC projectors.
Calman finds the colorimeter, accesses the JVC as a pattern generator und connects to it as a DDC device. Imam using the HT advanced workflow in the tutorial mode. I can run read series but when running autocal, there are no changes applied through DDC. The same when I try and change a value in the RGB adjust manually, this does not have an effect and after circling through the DDC menus and returning to the RGB adjust page, my changes are gone.
Is there something not mentioned in the special instructions that I need to enable or disable on the projector?
Since I am running a passive 3D installation, I have two of the JVCs and both exhibit the same behavior. They are both on the most recent firmware. The service menu shows the following versions: Main 201010291, Sub 2012.3.6.1-O, switcher 2010.10.19.1, CMS 2010.11.8.1, color 0.910, DD 0A0F0A, Driver 4300, Location US.
I have done a factory reset before I started the calibration to make sure, there are no unexpected settings.

Any idea how to fix this? Or is it a shortcoming or incompatibility of the CalMAN version I use and this particular firmware version?

Your advice is very much appreciated!

Markus

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The second pattern insertion option will display a 0% (black) full screen patch after every calibration patch for 0.75 seconds. It's used when you are creating a new 3D LUT like the Fixed Grid 9 on the LG to keep the panel more stable during all the reads. You can try 0%, or 10%. See which works best in your situation. For the Sony and Panasonic and the Samsung you can try it but it's not really necessary. Just use the first full field pattern insertion for those TVs.
Thanks for the explanation. I think this will come in handy for my HDR calibration. Though it doesn't suffer from burn-in, my Q9FN tends to temporarily lose luminance during extended high brightness levels. Too bad you can't specify a range of levels it applies to.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
DDC control not working

Hi, I hope that I am in the right thread...

I am currently running CalMAN 5.2.3.1416 with a C6 colorimeter. I want to calibrate my legacy JVC DLA-RS50s. I have read and am following the notes provided on portrait.com regarding the calibration of these JVC projectors.
Calman finds the colorimeter, accesses the JVC as a pattern generator und connects to it as a DDC device. Imam using the HT advanced workflow in the tutorial mode. I can run read series but when running autocal, there are no changes applied through DDC. The same when I try and change a value in the RGB adjust manually, this does not have an effect and after circling through the DDC menus and returning to the RGB adjust page, my changes are gone.
Is there something not mentioned in the special instructions that I need to enable or disable on the projector?
Since I am running a passive 3D installation, I have two of the JVCs and both exhibit the same behavior. They are both on the most recent firmware. The service menu shows the following versions: Main 201010291, Sub 2012.3.6.1-O, switcher 2010.10.19.1, CMS 2010.11.8.1, color 0.910, DD 0A0F0A, Driver 4300, Location US.
I have done a factory reset before I started the calibration to make sure, there are no unexpected settings.

Any idea how to fix this? Or is it a shortcoming or incompatibility of the CalMAN version I use and this particular firmware version?

Your advice is very much appreciated!

Markus
You are using a very old version of CalMAN. Are you sure that tutorial mode doesn't prevent the program from actually making adjustments? "Tutorial" implies that it's a training mode and may not make any real changes to the display you are trying to calibrate. The CalMAN version I use (5.11.1.107, or 2020R2) does not have a tutorial mode, so I cannot test it myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have question.
If calman enthusiast is end of life. Why you not allow to install last version for enthusiast users?

Enthusiast version was and is it good product for us :)
Have a nice day.
I too am a user of an older version of Calman Enthusiast. I would pay (a reasonable amount) to upgrade to the last version, but if you don't want my money...

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I too am a user of an older version of Calman Enthusiast. I would pay (a reasonable amount) to upgrade to the last version, but if you don't want my money...
It's not about money, Portrait had to dead end Enthusiast at some point or keep maintaining it. There are lots of reasons why they needed to end that product.

I remember, and @p5browne remembers this too where everyone was complaining about the yearly $89 (if i remember correctly) annual maintenance fee for Enthusiast and i always said it was a bargain.

Well things in the calibration world have changed a lot so i guess we just need to adapt. Nothing ever stays the same forever.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
We all had a chance to do exactly that in March 2019, when it was announced that Enthusiast would end development with the release of CalMAN 2020. Portrait stopped offering the annual All Access maintenance for it at the end of that month.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
It's not about money, Portrait had to dead end Enthusiast at some point or keep maintaining it. There are lots of reasons why they needed to end that product.

I remember, and @p5browne remembers this too where everyone was complaining about the yearly $89 (if i remember correctly) annual maintenance fee for Enthusiast and i always said it was a bargain.

Well things in the calibration world have changed a lot so i guess we just need to adapt. Nothing ever stays the same forever.
Not me! I thought it was a bargain I could do custom workflows in, and here I am with Video Pro :) though I'm not sure how I'll handle the update fees since you get billed for all intervening yearly fees IIRC ...

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Not me! I thought it was a bargain I could do custom workflows in, and here I am with Video Pro :) though I'm not sure how I'll handle the update fees since you get billed for all intervening yearly fees IIRC ...
[QUOTE="JRREF"
I remember, and @p5browne remembers this too where everyone was complaining about the yearly $89 (if i remember correctly) annual maintenance fee for Enthusiast and i always said it was a bargain. [/QUOTE]

$89 US but $125 CA at the time.
But now Free since I don't really need any updates, but if a final version present came my way I wouldn't object.
Since putting the 21 Point Lumagen on my Samsung KS9800, it looks magnifico!
Plus plans for an 8K Micro Led doesn't appear to be anywhere in the near future. (4K Max) So, will make due.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there anything new regarding sony tv? Does sonys autocal get benefits from the new aurora color engine or is this mainly for the lg tvs with their 3D luts?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Is there anything new regarding sony tv? Does sonys autocal get benefits from the new aurora color engine or is this mainly for the lg tvs with their 3D luts?
I believe there are bug fixes and improvements in the overall CM product but yes the Aurora color engine is for creating new 3DLUTs for TVs like the LG.

8421 - 8440 of 8443 Posts