AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after finally getting everything set up to calibrate, I proceeded to start CalMAN and was stopped at my first step--contrast. After seeing numerous references to 30-40 ftl for a rear projection here in AVS forum, I was unable to find anything in CalMAN that mentions ftl except for the advanced description of contrast, which is just text, and says as an alternate method, get 30-40 ftl (but, doesn't tell you how to do it in CalMAN).

So, after spending a couples of hours searching everywhere for an answer, I gave up, and here I am.

How do I use my chroma 5 to set contrast in CalMAN (looking for ftl or a figure I can convert (need that formula, too))?

·
Registered
773 Posts
In a calibration window, go to:

Options > User Interface > Units Standard

and change it from (cd/m^2 / Lux) Metric m^2 to (fL / fC) Imperial ft^2

I'm not quite sure why so many people here use fL instead of nits or cd/m². Metric seems a lot more precise, and the ITU/EBU recommendations for video white are 80cd/m² for monitors, 40cd/m² for projectors. (23.35fL, 11.67fL)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/16928691

In a calibration window, go to:

Options > User Interface > Units Standard

and change it from (cd/m^2 / Lux) Metric m^2 to (fL / fC) Imperial ft^2

I'm not quite sure why so many people here use fL instead of nits or cd/m². Metric seems a lot more precise, and the ITU/EBU recommendations for video white are 80cd/m² for monitors, 40cd/m² for projectors. (23.35fL, 11.67fL)

Thanks for that.

I'm still confused, though. What value should I be looking at in CalMAN?

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joikd /forum/post/16929919

Thanks for that.

I'm still confused, though. What value should I be looking at in CalMAN?

A capital Y denotes luminance, which is screen brightness' so you want to look at the Y value of a 100% white pattern.

EDIT:

In this imagejust one I had already uploaded for another purpose (sorry, it's using a custom layout I made, and ignore how bad the readings arethey're pre-calibration) look at the grid I have on the lower-left.

You have xyY values for 0-100% grey in 10% steps. So in this case, the projector's brightness is 4054cd/m².

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrew, thanks again for the info.

The only way that I can get Y to over 30 is to set my display's contrast to close to 50 in Bright / High mode. This is a Mits. 73837. If I use Natural / Low, I can only hit the high twenties with Y even with contrast maxed out. Does that sound right? I feel like I'm still missing something.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm not that familiar with rear-projection sets, but it looks like that's a 73" DLP? I imagine that one that size probably isn't very bright and it will have dimmed over time.

I'm assuming the low/high you refer to is the bulb brightness. What happens if you use natural/high?

Being a DLP, there shouldn't be any problem maxing out the contrast. (just check there's no clipping)

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/16936181

OMG what is throwing 4000cd/m of brightness?

My Sony HW10 measured about a foot from the lens. (was actually up to 5800cd/m² when I repositioned the i1Pro)

That translates to about 40cd/m² off my 118" Carada BW screen though.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico /forum/post/16957214

"...was actually up to 5800cd/m² "

andrewfee

Do you use your i1Pro facing the projector? Isn't the Measurement range: 0.2 to 300 cd/m2 for the i1Pro? Maybe I'm confused.

Federico

In CalMAN without the diffuser (reading off the screen) it's saying the limit is 3,000cd/m² though I don't know how you would get close to that, and 30,000cd/m² with the diffuser attached. (which I assume cuts out a lot of light and is then corrected in software)

It would be great if someone from SpectraCal could clarify this.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/16957275

In CalMAN without the diffuser (reading off the screen) it's saying the limit is 3,000cd/m² though I don't know how you would get close to that, and 30,000cd/m² with the diffuser attached. (which I assume cuts out a lot of light and is then corrected in software)

It would be great if someone from SpectraCal could clarify this.

The published spec for the i1Pro is 300 cd/m² but we found it won't give an error until over 3000 cd/m². With the diffuser is about a 10/1 ratio.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That answer one of my question about the difference between softwares using the i1 Pro. With the software I'm using the limit is fixed at about 1000 cd/m2.

I love the fast response from you people at Calman. I think is time for me to try your software. Thanks for the info Derek.

Federico

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.