AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed an order for this device. I wonder if the community has any experience with this that they wouldn't mind sharing. Any tips/tricks? Is this any good at all?

I will be using this to calibrate my Panasonic 4000U and 58S1. I'd appreciate any heads up to make the experience less intimidating

thanks guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been using one for a few months now. I can't comment on the precision of the meter itself since I don't have another meter that I could compare it to.

A few tips that might come in handy:

- Install the driver package from SpectraCal; avoid the Spyder3 driver from DataColor. I'm not even sure we are supposed to use the Datacolor one, but once installed there is a little utility in the system tray that is automatically launched when booting windows and eventually causes conflicts with CalMan if it is left running.

- I believe the Spyder3 meters are not heat compensated. When calibrating your plasma, it is generally advised to hang the meter on the tv for at least 30 minutes (while the tv is displaying something) so it can get acclimated to the temperature.

- You might need to raise the lower light handler read times to 3 seconds to get more stable readings of dark greys.

- The general advice for storing the meter is to keep it away from light and humidity. I have seen several posts recommending to store the meter in a sealed bag with laboratory-grade desiccant.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boum /forum/post/18249734

I have been using one for a few months now. I can't comment on the precision of the meter itself since I don't have another meter that I could compare it to.

A few tips that might come in handy:

- Install the driver package from SpectraCal; avoid the Spyder3 driver from DataColor. I'm not even sure we are supposed to use the Datacolor one, but once installed there is a little utility in the system tray that is automatically launched when booting windows and eventually causes conflicts with CalMan if it is left running.

- I believe the Spyder3 meters are not heat compensated. When calibrating your plasma, it is generally advised to hang the meter on the tv for at least 30 minutes (while the tv is displaying something) so it can get acclimated to the temperature.

- You might need to raise the lower light handler read times to 3 seconds to get more stable readings of dark greys.

- The general advice for storing the meter is to keep it away from light and humidity. I have seen several posts recommending to store the meter in a sealed bag with laboratory-grade desiccant.

Thanks boum,

Have you tried using it on a projector?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received a notice that my order has shipped. Looking forward to the DIY calibration experience with this product. Judging from the non-response, it does not seem like this product is widely used at all. I hope I wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO /forum/post/18265959

I received a notice that my order has shipped. Looking forward to the DIY calibration experience with this product. Judging from the non-response, it does not seem like this product is widely used at all. I hope I wouldn't be disappointed.

Odd we ship hundreds of the Enhanced Spyders3's. The only problem we run into is the additional calibration tables are download from our server so you will need to have your computer on the net for at least this step.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi derek,

glad to know that you ship hundreds of this product. I am just a little concerned that there's hardly any posting about it here in the forum. That could be good news of course - that users are satisfied and no further issues with it.

As mentioned, I'm looking forward to receiving it and putting it into action.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO /forum/post/18273141

I am just a little concerned that there's hardly any posting about it here in the forum.

Did you check the SpectraCal forums?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am using the Spyder 3/Calman for a JVC/RS-1/Lumagen combo. Seems to work just fine. I do not have high speed at home. I have not down-loaded the calibration tables. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/18278352

I am using the Spyder 3/Calman for a JVC/RS-1/Lumagen combo. Seems to work just fine. I do not have high speed at home. I have not down-loaded the calibration tables. Is this a problem?

The enhanced cal tables add around 5-15% better accuracy so yes you should download them. BTW, they are very small so even on dial-up it should only take minute or two to download them.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro /forum/post/18279628

Thanks for the info.

Since you seem well versed on this, how does one adjust gamut?

You have to have a display that provides the controls to adjust gamut.

Alternatively you can add a processor that adds those controls.

What hardware do you have?

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO /forum/post/18235949

I just placed an order for this device. I wonder if the community has any experience with this that they wouldn't mind sharing. Any tips/tricks? Is this any good at all?

I will be using this to calibrate my Panasonic 4000U and 58S1. I'd appreciate any heads up to make the experience less intimidating

thanks guys.

You will be very happy with the results. It does take some practise to learn all the tricks with your particular machine. Here's some general tricks:

1. The Brightness and Contrast controls can also affect the gamma curve as well as the grayscale (every projector is different). This means you will have to adjust these controls several times during the process and their best settings may not be the "best" according to the simple white/black adjustment screens.

2. Turn all the fancy controls like the iris and dynamic gamma off or calibration will be a lot harder. Once you have the grayscale set, and the gamma curve is smooth, then you can turn the fancy stuff on, and see what affect it has.

3. Adjust gray scale by moving all the colors 1/2 their distance ie: if it says red is 110% and blue and green are 100% then put red down 5% and b/g up 5%.

4. Start by finding what color is clipping at the 100% end and tune the other colors to match it. The Contrast control affects this, so you need to adjust it as well. At the other end, Brightness affects the color balance as well.

5. A movie like Dark Knight, can really show defects in your black levels, so once you have a good approximate grayscale, turn on DK and see how the details look in the dark scenes. I found my Brightness setting was not as good as I imagined and I had to adjust it and then check the grayscale again. Colors in DK dark scenes are not reliable, sometimes the colors seem off but its the lighting in the movie that is affecting it; so don't try adjusting colors by looks - at least not with that movie.

6. 0%, 10% and 20% are not as accurate color wise as the other %'s, due to the low light level. Red is the color most easily seen if you are off, blue is the least obvious (ie: its not as big a deal if you don't hit the right blue level) and green controls most the brightness level. Take a look at the B&W ramp and you can easily see if you have too much red at the lower end. It might be possible to nudge it down a notch or two, but you can't rely on your eye to adjust color far from the meter values.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much, orion.

You've given me some tips to work around with. If I have further questions, I hope you don't mind if I ask.

Hopefully, I will get the unit this week and I can put the puppy into good use.

Cheers.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excitement! excitement!

I am on my way to the post office to pick up the unit. I'm keeping my finger crossed as I am new at this. Yes, I know - don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO /forum/post/18339778

Excitement! excitement!

I am on my way to the post office to pick up the unit. I'm keeping my finger crossed as I am new at this. Yes, I know - don't expect miracles.

Ah the anticipation is always fun; then the hard work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts