AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 3561 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I definitely feel like there is what people call 'black crush' after calibration. On HDR and DV modes, things are pretty black, albeit colours are fantastic - but I feel blacks are a little too black/dark, some movies/shows scenes can barely see what is happening.
This is the reason why i always calibrate manually. So you can tune the settings afterwards.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hmm too nervous to try this, I’m assuming it’s quite complex??

Do you think slightly boosting 2 points blue in white balance is a temporary solution?? Or that would be too ‘incorrect’
No, it's no solution. It depends on the panel, the profile and the brightness.

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
54 Posts
I definitely feel like there is what people call 'black crush' after calibration. On HDR and DV modes, things are pretty black, albeit colours are fantastic - but I feel blacks are a little too black/dark, some movies/shows scenes can barely see what is happening.
How dark’s your viewing environment?
HDR and DV are dark room formats, as I understand it.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Good Morning,

sorry, but i was out for about a half year.
Do we still have to modify the *edr file in Calman Home LG when calibrating an WOLED with an I1Displa Pro?
So when yes:
I'm calibrating manually connected to a PC.
Ist it correct to set calman as:
Colorspace: DCI P3
and
Whitepoint: D65 P3 or D65?

Thanks
Hi Dirk,

It is still required to take the file from LightSpace ZRO and replace the CalMAN file to get better results for WRGB OLED.

What mode do you want to calibrate?

CalMAN has correct colorspaces per calibration mode to the workflow of LG.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Here’s a picture of pre/post calibration comparison. I really have no clue why it gets worse... it also seems the pre-calibration is a bit off??? Could someone let me know if the pre-calibration is too incorrect for a factory reset CX??
Hi,

Which are your meter and source settings?

Can you post two pictures?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
If you are using calman the new shadow detail control will enable you to fix most black crushing assuming the calibration was done correctly. You will need the R2 Beta. PM WiFiSpy and he should be able to help.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
If it it makes you feel any better I did the same ages ago 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Currently what I have done is display a full 100 percent white patch and adjusted the SM WB to get the lowest delta errors with the FSI.edr file form lightspace.
This is without using AutoCal or checking the enable calibration and DDC the picture mode.
With this I have got really good results, so I'm not too disappointed about resetting the WB in the SM
I have done the same with HCFR as well and works really just the same.

Use a 10% sized Window external pattern via HDMI or USB input of 109% White, not an internal and full field.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Hey guys another question about autocal by yours truely.

Does setting the illuminance and getting the 100-115nits really matter for calibration? Or I can simply go with whatever is set up, and then change OLED light to my preference after autocal is finished??
SDR movies mastered for REC.709, gamma 2.4, and 100 nits @ 100% White.

LG's internal LUT can calibrate up to 109% Super White, so when you have calibrated 123-124 nits @ 109% White, you will have 100 nits @ 100% White.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
another thought I just had (this probably sounds terrible to someone like you who’s more experience than me but hear me out)

I know all OLED’s are unique and different hence I can’t copy others settings - BUT - perhaps for me to receive a slightly better result than what I have after resetting, do you think I can look at another persons pre-set SM WB settings which could maybe slightly fix my current results?? Hahah sounds dodgy but even if it’s 10% better or something??
When you are using AutoCAL of 1D LUT, it will ignore your White Balance Pre-calibration in Service Menu.

It's pointless to perform that pre-calibration if you are going to calibrate your 1D LUT via AutoCAL.

You can perform SM WB pre-calibration only if you will not use 1D LUT or when you will perform manual calibration.

·
Registered
36 Posts
SDR movies mastered for REC.709, gamma 2.4, and 100 nits @ 100% White.

LG's internal LUT can calibrate up to 109% Super White, so when you have calibrated 123-124 nits @ 109% White, you will have 100 nits @ 100% White.

How do I select 109% White to calibrate with?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also, if I autocal again on a pre-calibrated picture mode, it will overwrite the previous 1D LUT correct? So I don’t have to do factory reset every time? Only factory reset if I wish to try manual calibration??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is a manual calibration usually more accurate than Autocal? I’m look at getting a calibration and wonder which is the better way to go.

James

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Dirk,

It is still required to take the file from LightSpace ZRO and replace the CalMAN file to get better results for WRGB OLED.

What mode do you want to calibrate?

CalMAN has correct colorspaces per calibration mode to the workflow of LG.
Thanks
I want to calibrate the most native possibility for the panel. I'm playing games on pc with 8/10/12 Bit UHD Full HDMI Bandwith. So the panel can do DCI P3 right?
So I want to calibrate DCI P3. But in the Gameprofile the colorspace is loccked to auto.
When I'm using the ISF Profile i can select Expanded Colorspace. But in this profile the gaming latency is worse.

I'm just calibrating the greyscale & gamma curve because of strange posterasation effects after touching the CMS.

1. So Do i have to calibrate to HD709 when in Game Mode because of auto colorspace?

2. When calibrating ISF Mode in extended Colorspace. What do i have to set as the goal for calibration?
Whitepoint : D65, D65 P3, or DCI Whitepoint?
Colorspace: DCI P3?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have completed a successful calibration for the LG C9 on Expert Dark using the i1 Display Pro.

This is my signal chain for 1080p colour grading in Resolve:

Laptop > Caldigit TS3+ > Blackmagic Ultrastudio Monitor 3G > LGC9

The i1DPro is connected to the TS3+, which worked well as a powered USB hub. Previously used a USB extension cable which gave me fluctuating readings.

The TS3+ also has a DisplayPort, which I have connected to the C9 via active DP to HDMI adapter. I would like to use this as an 8bit, 4K display output, as an indication of consumer grade monitors.

My question is, should I run a separate calibration of this DisplayPort output, or do I just use the Expert Dark picture profile created through the Ultrastudio Monitor 3G?

If I run a new calibration, should I choose another picture profile slot so that I don't overwrite the Expert Dark?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys

I’ve attempted to do another SM White balance manual calibration, as it worked fine the other day.

Attempting today, it just does not seem to be producing good calibration results. I calibrate the 100 White to a successful 0.1de, but between 20-90 on the greyscale I have a very weird high errors sloping downwards

My colors have high errors too, and the values seem identical pre and post calibration

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? My TV is factory reset and Calman reinstalled.

pic included to show results
thanks guys!

3321 - 3340 of 3561 Posts