AVS Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 3561 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Hi guys

I’ve attempted to do another SM White balance manual calibration, as it worked fine the other day.

Attempting today, it just does not seem to be producing good calibration results. I calibrate the 100 White to a successful 0.1de, but between 20-90 on the greyscale I have a very weird high errors sloping downwards

My colors have high errors too, and the values seem identical pre and post calibration

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? My TV is factory reset and Calman reinstalled.

pic included to show results
View attachment 3047449 thanks guys!
Obviously there is something wrong. The only way to trouble shoot this is if you list all the steps you took to set the white point in the service menu and then you need to reset the ISF Bright PM and set the CS to Auto in the user menu then measure. It looks like you may have left it in Wide.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Use a 10% sized Window external pattern via HDMI or USB input of 109% White, not an internal and full field.

Thanks Ted,

I am using the internal pattern via USB, 10% Window. But I didn't go with 109% White.
What I noticed is when I did a SM WB Cal that the brightness was very slightly higher when going into the SM WB. I think it's the fact that I did not choose 109% as the difference in nits is very close.
How do I choose 109% this in Calman ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Obviously there is something wrong. The only way to trouble shoot this is if you list all the steps you took to set the white point in the service menu and then you need to reset the ISF Bright PM and set the CS to Auto in the user menu then measure. It looks like you may have left it in Wide.
I pretty much just went into Calman, did SDR and selected white only on greyscale page. Adjusted the SM white balance so that I could get as low an error as I possibly could - achieved a 0.1. Then went to the next steps and did post-cal and the only thing that changed was the 100 white greyscale value as can be seen in the pic.

Also did two factory resets back to back and still the same issue and same calibration patterns/errors each time :/
I also made sure I was always set to Auto colour not wide :(

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I pretty much just went into Calman, did SDR and selected white only on greyscale page. Adjusted the SM white balance so that I could get as low an error as I possibly could - achieved a 0.1. Then went to the next steps and did post-cal and the only thing that changed was the 100 white greyscale value as can be seen in the pic.

Also did two factory resets back to back and still the same issue and same calibration patterns/errors each time :/
I also made sure I was always set to Auto colour not wide :(
OK not sure then what's going on. Maybe reach out to Ted to see what he thinks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK not sure then what's going on. Maybe reach out to Ted to see what he thinks.
Yeah this is very odd. I sent Ted a private message just now hopefully he will see.

I attempted to do an autocal again for the sake of it afterwards, and around the 25 greyscale mark, the screen went red, no idea why?? Coincidence than it went red at 25/30 which showed to be the highest error during my pre/post cal results?? My menus and everything went red, I stopped the autocal and did a factory reset as I panicked. TV is fine atm

Pic of what happened randomly:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Yeah this is very odd. I sent Ted a private message just now hopefully he will see.

I attempted to do an autocal again for the sake of it afterwards, and around the 25 greyscale mark, the screen went red, no idea why?? Coincidence than it went red at 25/30 which showed to be the highest error during my pre/post cal results?? My menus and everything went red, I stopped the autocal and did a factory reset as I panicked. TV is fine atm

Pic of what happened randomly:
View attachment 3047456
I would also put in a support ticket with Portrait on their web site since Tyler mentioned there was some unusual behavior of the iTPG, which i assume you are using, that they were looking into and this may be it.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
LG is aware of this TV firmware bug and are working on a fix.
That was an entire year ago now, yet it's still not fixed, so:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear LG firmware bug which gives you elevated blacks on 2018 and 2019 TVs,
Happy birthday to you!

[ref: Ted's post explaining this bug]

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
That was an entire year ago now, yet it's still not fixed, so:
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear LG firmware bug which gives you elevated blacks,
Happy birthday to you!

[ref: Ted's post explaining this bug]
On the 2020 LGs with the Shadow Detail control you can correct this.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thinking of buying Calman Home for LG; can I use it on more than one 2020 OLED LG or I have to buy additional licenses?

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
Thinking of buying Calman Home for LG; can I use it on more than one 2020 OLED LG or I have to buy additional licenses?
You can calibrate as many TVs as you want.

77CX YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
54 Posts
In my experience with it so far, the Shadow Detail adjustments don’t apply as you’re viewing your pattern in the DV modes. And, on my set, the recommended HDR detail point of 14 raised the black even further for DV.

Nevertheless, it’s a beta, so I’ll keep experimenting when I have time.

I’m keen to hear what shadow detail values others have tried on the DV picture modes.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Bzzt. Non sequitur. That is not the firmware fix for 2018 LGs and 2019 LGs that we've been waiting for a year for, now is it. Please stop posting over and over about the new 2020-LGs-only beta "shadow detail" Calman "feature"; it's getting tiresome to be honest. Also it is not an LG firmware fix for the aforementioned "LG TV firmware bug". It's in no way an LG fix for the very well-documentated 1DLUT bugs for 2018 LGs and 2019 LGs that we've all been waiting for over a year to be fixed. The reason we've been waiting was, I dunno, perhaps "LG is aware of this TV firmware bug and are working on a fix."? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Bzzt. Non sequitur. That is not the firmware fix for 2018 LGs and 2019 LGs that we've been waiting for a year for, now is it. Please stop posting over and over about the new 2020-LGs-only beta "shadow detail" Calman "feature"; it's getting tiresome to be honest. Also it is not an LG firmware fix for the aforementioned "LG TV firmware bug". It's in no way an LG fix for the very well-documentated 1DLUT bugs for 2018 LGs and 2019 LGs that we've all been waiting for over a year to be fixed. The reason we've been waiting was, I dunno, perhaps "LG is aware of this TV firmware bug and are working on a fix."? :rolleyes:
I wish i could tell you something concrete about what LG is or is not doing relating to this issue. I don't know anything more than you do.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
In my experience with it so far, the Shadow Detail adjustments don’t apply as you’re viewing your pattern in the DV modes. And, on my set, the recommended HDR detail point of 14 raised the black even further for DV.

Nevertheless, it’s a beta, so I’ll keep experimenting when I have time.

I’m keen to hear what shadow detail values others have tried on the DV picture modes.
The way the control works is if you increase above 320 there is more shadow detail if you lower it than you get less. So you need to experiment to see what works for your specific set. I can tell you, you need Stacy's or a test patterns that has 64 black level steps or something more granular than the standard 17 step to be able to fine tune with this adjustment in my opinion. I think Ted has some patterns that are good to use as well.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
As PQ is an absolute standard, any manual adjustment is a frig.

The concept of Shadow Control is therefore just a bandage, too cover an underlying problem.

It is most definitely not a valid correction, and should not be accepted as such.

Steve

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
54 Posts
So you need to experiment to see what works for your specific set. I can tell you, you need Stacy's or a test patterns that has 64 black level steps or something more granular than the standard 17 step to be able to fine tune with this adjustment in my opinion
Yeah. Best I can do is R. Masciola’s DV patterns. I don’t have a UHD blu-ray player.

Besides, best I can tell, the TV isn’t “live updating” with Calman’s shadow detail adjustments on DV modes, unlike the other modes. So I can’t really experiment. And, DV is the only mode that’s really off in terms of shadow detail anyway.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
As PQ is an absolute standard, any manual adjustment is a frig.

The concept of Shadow Control is therefore just a bandage, too cover an underlying problem.

It is most definitely not a valid correction, and should not be accepted as such.

Steve
True but if the set is not exactly following PQ in a specific area and this control makes it follow, which it does from what I can see, then it is a valid correction.

Reactions: uncynical

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Sorry, but no...
It means the 'correction' being applied is incorrect.
And we all know two wrongs do not make a right.

Steve

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
We worked directly with LG on this shadow detail control. We both thought that it was beneficial to give calibrators this low level adjustment to compensate for near black detail variability based on individual panels.

These adjustments are below where most meters can take accurate readings and are designed to be adjusted using a visual test pattern with 10 bit steps (code values 64 to 90).

This is why LG recommends using the 1D LUT + 3D LUT for calibration and not using the factory 1D that cannot compensate for individual panel near black behavior.

Calman’s unique Interactive 1D LUT calibration process provides superior results on LG OLEDs compared to a measure and then calculate method of calibrating a 1D LUT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Nah, all user tests show that the 1D LUT in LG TVs do not work.

Using the 3D LUTs via alternative methods provide far better accuracy, as many threads on the various forums show.

A bodge is not not a viable correction. No matter how you spin it.

Steve

3341 - 3360 of 3561 Posts