AVS Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 3559 Posts

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Nah, all user tests show that the 1D LUT in LG TVs do not work.

Using the 3D LUTs via alternative methods provide far better accuracy, as many threads on the various forums show.

A bodge is not not a viable correction. No matter how you spin it.

Steve
Steve although there is no question that LS/CS will generate a 3DLUT with less errors, and I’ve seen tons of measured results including my own that show this but visually how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Steve although there is no question that LS/CS will generate a 3DLUT with less errors, and I’ve seen tons of measured results including my own that show this but visually how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment?
That obviously depends on the image content.
It would certainly be something I would spot.

And for those using forums like this, and looking to calibrate accurately, the 'environment' is likely to not be standard consumer.

And the fact this is a calibration forum kinda speaks volumes for users looking for accuracy, and not bodges... at least I would have thought that?

Steve

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
These adjustments are below where most meters can take accurate readings and are designed to be adjusted using a visual test pattern with 10 bit steps (code values 64 to 90).
And...

Calman’s unique Interactive 1D LUT calibration process provides superior results on LG OLEDs compared to a measure and then calculate method of calibrating a 1D LUT.
Which is a total contradiction...

And ignores the fact that a 1D LUT generated via the likes of ColourSpace/LightSpace works perfectly when applied using 'Active LUT' to evaluate the LUT, but the same LUT then shows issues when the LUT is used within the LG... that tells you all you need to know about where the issue is.

Steve

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For the last 6 months or more I have not been even been following, let alone posting in the CalMAN threads as a personal choice, because quite frankly, it's a lost cause. Any time you post some idea for a fix or a workaround to get reasonable results you are painted as some kind of troll only here to promote alternative calibration solutions, even if those ideas are perfectly valid and viable workarounds to these issues for people only using CalMAN software.

Somebody pointed me to this post and I had to say something. Specifically about this......

but visually how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment?
Seriously? The CalMAN Home for LG thread is full of users that could be considered as consumers with untrained human eyes in a standard home environment, would you not agree? So tell me then, why is it that the thread is literally full of posts from these users with untrained human eyes in their normal home environment complaining nearly on a daily basis about how after running AutoCAL that the picture on their LG OLED has been at the very least made worse, or in some cases absolutely destroyed with weird heatmap style images?

Now sure, some of these things can indeed be put down to user error, but they are most certainly not all down to that. I am sure you would agree John, I am fairly well versed in getting the absolute best out of these TV's now, so I know what I'm doing. When I realised my CM 2019 license actually allowed me to download and install CM2020 R1 (I actually thought it had expired, not allowing me to install it, but I was wrong), I decided to give it a test run on my own TV (65C9) to see if there were any improvements. I was going to do a factory reset anyway as I had been testing various other things (that work perfectly) so wanted to re-do everything with a clean slate.

I didn't post anything about it at the time because it's embarrassing. Not embarrassing to me, I know for a fact that everything I did was done correctly. In fact the only thing that I did do was use the RPi Pgenerator for one run, and the DVDO AVLab 4K TPG for the other, ensuring that optimal settings were tested for both the meter and generator were configured and verified before starting each of the runs. I even used the recommended pattern insertion settings as advised by Portrait themselves to rule out any ambiguity. It also ruled out any issues that could be introduced by using the internal TPG. What is embarrassing is that Portrait could even release a product that produces results as bad as it does!!!

I just ran AutoCAL as usual. Full DDC Reset followed by 1D LUT AutoCAL followed by 3D LUT. I did this twice, once with Lightning LUT (PGenerator) and one with Fixed Grid (9 Point IIRC, with DVDO AVLab). All the usual "remove power for a few minutes" etc, etc to ensure that the LUT loaded correctly. ;)

Lightning LUT

Fixed Grid

(apologies to those of you that notice that this is Hollyoaks. I don't actually watch it, honest!!! It just happened to be on at the time)

You don't need a "trained eye" to see that isn't right!!!!

Okay, it's sporadic and doesn't always happen all the time to everyone. But it happens often enough to enough people (experienced and not experienced alike) to say that something somewhere is broken. Considering this NEVER happens using other solutions then it doesn't take a genius to work out where to point the finger. Which is a shame because I managed to successfully run two back to back 17 Point Fixed Grid LUTs almost a year ago that had comparable results to alternate solutions with the exception that low light shadow details had some issues with banding and posterization. So something has gone backwards somewhere.

Then you have the latest beta. I admit outright that my license does not allow me to install it and try out the new and exciting features, but I have seen enough from users that do have the latest beta to know that there are no improvements at all. Don't even get me started on AIO Mode for the i1 Display meters, or the Shadow Detail Control. Do you even know what that feature does, at a high level? I can tell you that I do, and it I find it highly amusing to say the least. I leave it as an exercise to everyone to test the feature to investigate and find out for yourselves. It's not difficult at all. And it is in fact exactly what I predicted it would be to some friends when I first saw it announced in the video for the beta ;)

None of this is an issue with the TV in general. I repeat it is not an issue with the TV in general. Custom 1D LUT issues are real, but there is nothing really wrong with the factory 1D LUT in any mode, including HDR/DoVi if pre-calibration steps are performed correctly. Other methods can produce excellent, repeatable results first time every single time. If the first run is not "excellent" it is 99% of the time down to user error, and when they realise where they went wrong, then it is a simple thing to resolve. In fact, as you well know, I wrote a guide for users of the "other solution". A very simple document outlining the settings they should use and the theory as to why they are used. And since then, support requests have dwindled to almost none, with those only coming from brand new users unfamiliar with the new/different software or any form of experience using manual calibration controls at all to set-up/pre-calibrate the TV correctly.

John, as an ISF III Certified calibrator you should know that calibration is all about adjusting to a reference. AutoCAL does not adjust anything to a reference on these LG OLED's. It can get fairly close sometimes, but introduces other issues in doing so. I really can't understand why you continue to defend, and sometimes actually promote this practice when I know for a fact that you know all of this.

Anyway, I just felt it unfair to say what you did with regards to people with "untrained eyes in a consumer environment" when quite literally nearly every single participant in this specific thread falls into that category and it is those people that see the issues and report them in the first place.

I shall now return to my hiatus from this particular thread as I have nothing more to add.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
That obviously depends on the image content.
It would certainly be something I would spot.

And for those using forums like this, and looking to calibrate accurately, the 'environment' is likely to not be standard consumer.

And the fact this is a calibration forum kinda speaks volumes for users looking for accuracy, and not bodges... at least I would have thought that?

Steve
Right so being this is a CalMan for Home LG thread, you would assume most people who would be reading these posts are probably CM for Home users or Enthusiasts looking to learn how to calibrate their LG TVs. Your product and Portrait's product are different and targeted to different users as you have pointed out in the past. I can tell you now that i'm using both products, both have pro's and con's depending on your specific situation and what you are trying to accomplish. I can also say when both products are used correctly, the PQ visually, can be incredibly similar. A while ago i did an experiment where i set the user controls on ISF Dark and ISF Bright the same, set the WP in the SM for CS, then did a 17^3 3DLUT with CS following all the latest instructions and loaded it to ISF Dark. Then i did a 42pt 1DLUT manually tweaked and a Lightening LUT with CM for ISF Bright using the new controls. After i had both PMs calibrated and after watching a night of content i couldn't tell the difference visually switching between both PMs. I thought i loaded the CS LUT in both PMs on the LG by mistake. The next day i ran a verification profile using CS on both PMs and found that CM was correctly loaded on ISF Bright and CS was correctly loaded on ISF Dark. I could see the CS PM had less errors than the CM PM but it wasn't dramatic and the errors were significantly less than dE of 3. I also had one of the expert LS/CS users check my CS results to make sure it was done correctly. I know if i ran a very large verification profile i would see a larger difference but I was very surprised that no matter how much i tried with all kinds of content, not test patterns, the two PMs were essentially the same visually to my eyes watching the TV at a normal viewing distance in a dark room.

So i understand the CS result for sure was more accurate but for a Home user, even an Enthusiast, with the right equipment and once you get everything working, you can get a very nice result using CM. I know CM and the LG iTPG have problems and the more complex 3DLUTs have issues that many users post here as Leon's post points out. Leon has done really nice work creating a process and documentation to manually calibrate HDR and DV giving users options. Ted and others have given lots of support and great TPG solutions that are easily built which is all good. My point of this post is just to give my personal experience maybe to put some things into perspective and not to discuss which product is better or to start an endless deep technical discussions.

Reactions: uncynical

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
"John, as an ISF III Certified calibrator you should know that calibration is all about adjusting to a reference. AutoCAL does not adjust anything to a reference on these LG OLED's. It can get fairly close sometimes, but introduces other issues in doing so. I really can't understand why you continue to defend, and sometimes actually promote this practice when I know for a fact that you know all of this."

Leon, yes i understand this for sure. I'm really not trying to defend CM. I'm just pointing out as you say, CM can get fairly close and it can introduce issues but used correctly with all the needed instructions and or equipment, you can get a good result. That's all. We both know there is a ton of technical details that can be discussed on any calibration process and result but for me, depending on what i'm trying to accomplish, i use what i can visually see with content to judge the result. And thanks to you and others like Ted and Miki, i'm getting way better at being more critical in what i'm looking at. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
"John, as an ISF III Certified calibrator you should know that calibration is all about adjusting to a reference. AutoCAL does not adjust anything to a reference on these LG OLED's. It can get fairly close sometimes, but introduces other issues in doing so. I really can't understand why you continue to defend, and sometimes actually promote this practice when I know for a fact that you know all of this."

Leon, yes i understand this for sure. I'm really not trying to defend CM. I'm just pointing out as you say, CM can get fairly close and it can introduce issues but used correctly with all the needed instructions and or equipment, you can get a good result. That's all. We both know there is a ton of technical details that can be discussed on any calibration process and result but for me, depending on what i'm trying to accomplish, i use what i can visually see with content to judge the result. And thanks to you and others like Ted and Miki, i'm getting way better at being more critical in what i'm looking at. :)
I see you responded without actually quoting me, which is probably why I didn't get a notification. And that is fine, because as I said I have no interest in participating in this thread any longer. But considering you did respond, I will say one final thing on this before I move on for good (for the reasons previously explained). Please, feel free to respond again if you like, but I am well and truly out again after this post.

You rightly responded to Steve earlier that this is the CalMAN Home for LG thread, it is not the CalMAN Ultimate for Business or any other license level that supports high end meters costing thousands.

Now, please bear in mind that as the Home version of CalMAN only supports consumer level meters, then everyone that uses it is on a level playing field. All using a consumer meter that has been proven time and again to be absolutely phenomenal in its capabilities, with the one exception being low light accuracy and repeatability. But, it has also been proven time and again that using that same meter in other software with the stock X-Rite drivers and the correct settings can produce phenomenal results almost on par with a Klein K10-A, with the main limitation being the speed in which is does this. In fact, through careful set-up, tweaking of the settings and control over the environment, even that speed difference can be successfully reduced significantly and still reproduce the same excellent end results. You know this. You have followed the threads where this data has been posted and verified time and again. It is fact, plain and simple.

What we can take from this is that the meter in question (X-Rite i1 Display Pro) is most definitely not at fault. Whether the way it is implemented in software can cause this difference is another matter entirely, but the meter itself is not the culprit, and that is also fact.

So, when you see statements like "professional users do not have these issues", or you yourself saying that you don't get these problems when calibrating professionally with reference quality equipment that nobody with a CalMAN Home license can use, it doesn't really relate at all to anything CalMAN Home users are experiencing, and I find it disappointing that you do not see this. Furthermore, it only adds even more confusion to an already confusing subject when you have someone saying that these problems don't exist for them at all, when clearly there are many that do experience them time and time again over prolonged periods and after several updates. I was genuinely excited at the fact AIO Mode was finally getting added, if simply for the fact that it would give users more of a chance to get better results. But it seems even that has been borked into the software from what I have seen so far (although, as it has only been implemented in the latest beta, there is still hope this could be improved upon).

And then to say "how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment ?"...... You mean to tell me that you need a "trained eye" to see some of the horrific outcomes that some people here are suffering from? I mean c'mon John, that's insulting on the face of it! You are essentially telling everyone that are having these problems that it is them at fault, it is their mistake because everything is working as it should. It's perfect, near reference for you!!!

And you can't even blame the iTPG for it all either (although I am sure it has a role to play in some of it, especially the 2020 models) as I showed earlier it can happen with external TPG's too. Both with a fully reliable low cost and accurate DIY TPG, and the highly regarded bit accurate DVDO AV Lab TPG. So if it's not the meter or the TPG being used, then what the hell is it? Please, explain. Tell us all so that we can reproduce these problem free calibrations with CalMAN the same way you and these other professional users in Hollywood do? Do we all need to just bite the bullet, purchase a Klein K10-A and a Murideo TPG along with a Pro-Level license for CalMAN to finally enjoy a properly calibrated picture? Well no, because we know that is not the answer either, because you and I both know other (very highly respected) professional calibrators that won't go anywhere near CalMAN for LUT calibrations!!!

Look, I am not here to cause an argument. I have only said what I have said because someone has to stand up for those that do not understand and may feel that all the issues are of their own doing. For full disclosure to anyone else that happens to read this, John and I do converse on a fairly regular basis about many different things and I do feel we get on very well. But I have to say something when I see stuff like what was posted earlier. The issues are real and they exist for many, many people. Maybe CalMAN can work flawlessly with professional equipment (although we know for a fact it doesn't), and if it does then great. But sweeping the issues reported here under the rug with comments like "I don't get these issues when calibrating professionally" or "how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment ?" doesn't solve anything and doesn't even relate in any way, shape or form to users of CalMAN Home for LG.

Peace out, I'm done! ✌

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
How do I use a Blu Ray player as a source rather than the IPG? Or can I? Isn't that a way I could use the SW on another TV brand?

bob

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Use the Manual Calibration workflow, and leave the Source set to Manual Control. You'll want to use a pattern disk that matches the RGB values that CalMAN uses, like Ted's disk.
Thanks, I have the ChromaPure 3 Blu Ray. Do I still "sign in" with the pin when prompted?

bob

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I see you responded without actually quoting me, which is probably why I didn't get a notification. And that is fine, because as I said I have no interest in participating in this thread any longer. But considering you did respond, I will say one final thing on this before I move on for good (for the reasons previously explained). Please, feel free to respond again if you like, but I am well and truly out again after this post.

You rightly responded to Steve earlier that this is the CalMAN Home for LG thread, it is not the CalMAN Ultimate for Business or any other license level that supports high end meters costing thousands.

Now, please bear in mind that as the Home version of CalMAN only supports consumer level meters, then everyone that uses it is on a level playing field. All using a consumer meter that has been proven time and again to be absolutely phenomenal in its capabilities, with the one exception being low light accuracy and repeatability. But, it has also been proven time and again that using that same meter in other software with the stock X-Rite drivers and the correct settings can produce phenomenal results almost on par with a Klein K10-A, with the main limitation being the speed in which is does this. In fact, through careful set-up, tweaking of the settings and control over the environment, even that speed difference can be successfully reduced significantly and still reproduce the same excellent end results. You know this. You have followed the threads where this data has been posted and verified time and again. It is fact, plain and simple.

What we can take from this is that the meter in question (X-Rite i1 Display Pro) is most definitely not at fault. Whether the way it is implemented in software can cause this difference is another matter entirely, but the meter itself is not the culprit, and that is also fact.

So, when you see statements like "professional users do not have these issues", or you yourself saying that you don't get these problems when calibrating professionally with reference quality equipment that nobody with a CalMAN Home license can use, it doesn't really relate at all to anything CalMAN Home users are experiencing, and I find it disappointing that you do not see this. Furthermore, it only adds even more confusion to an already confusing subject when you have someone saying that these problems don't exist for them at all, when clearly there are many that do experience them time and time again over prolonged periods and after several updates. I was genuinely excited at the fact AIO Mode was finally getting added, if simply for the fact that it would give users more of a chance to get better results. But it seems even that has been borked into the software from what I have seen so far (although, as it has only been implemented in the latest beta, there is still hope this could be improved upon).

And then to say "how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment ?"...... You mean to tell me that you need a "trained eye" to see some of the horrific outcomes that some people here are suffering from? I mean c'mon John, that's insulting on the face of it! You are essentially telling everyone that are having these problems that it is them at fault, it is their mistake because everything is working as it should. It's perfect, near reference for you!!!

And you can't even blame the iTPG for it all either (although I am sure it has a role to play in some of it, especially the 2020 models) as I showed earlier it can happen with external TPG's too. Both with a fully reliable low cost and accurate DIY TPG, and the highly regarded bit accurate DVDO AV Lab TPG. So if it's not the meter or the TPG being used, then what the hell is it? Please, explain. Tell us all so that we can reproduce these problem free calibrations with CalMAN the same way you and these other professional users in Hollywood do? Do we all need to just bite the bullet, purchase a Klein K10-A and a Murideo TPG along with a Pro-Level license for CalMAN to finally enjoy a properly calibrated picture? Well no, because we know that is not the answer either, because you and I both know other (very highly respected) professional calibrators that won't go anywhere near CalMAN for LUT calibrations!!!

Look, I am not here to cause an argument. I have only said what I have said because someone has to stand up for those that do not understand and may feel that all the issues are of their own doing. For full disclosure to anyone else that happens to read this, John and I do converse on a fairly regular basis about many different things and I do feel we get on very well. But I have to say something when I see stuff like what was posted earlier. The issues are real and they exist for many, many people. Maybe CalMAN can work flawlessly with professional equipment (although we know for a fact it doesn't), and if it does then great. But sweeping the issues reported here under the rug with comments like "I don't get these issues when calibrating professionally" or "how much difference can the untrained human eye see in a consumer environment ?" doesn't solve anything and doesn't even relate in any way, shape or form to users of CalMAN Home for LG.

Peace out, I'm done! ✌
Leon, No worries. I understand 100% what you are saying about consumer vs pro equipment and CalMan and the LUT issues, etc.. If my comments implied that CM Home for LG has no issues, that absolutely was not my intent. The point of my initial post was to say that the new Shadow Detail control in the beta works as described based on my experience and the conversation degraded into what we see above. It's very frustrating for me as well to see people having problems with the CM Home since it was designed to be easily used. There are many who can use the software no problem but then I see Ted and others here spending lots of energy trying to solve problems and still we see lots of users who can't complete a simple calibration for whatever reason. I can see from the beta that Portrait is making attempts getting meter's like the i1D3 working properly and reliably so users can get consistent results like you describe and we should also see improvements in LUT capabilities as well as other usability aspects in future releases. Whether they use the X-Rite SDK or not for the i1D3, we need to see how the released software actually works. The iTPG has to work flawlessly at some point since that's a big cost savings feature. But again, when all is said and done, the proof is when we see the changes and can evaluate them. I agree, let's end this discussion for now. I've said what i needed to say and stand by my observations and agree there are issues, some significant as you have pointed out and too many users having trouble using the product. Let's see what happens. In the mean time CM Home for LG users having problems should work with Portrait support and if you are not getting the response you need, PM WifiSpy and i'm sure Tyler will help. Although this thread is loaded with information and many users who may be able to help it's not a support site. The more problems and information you can send to the Portrait support site or even join the Beta, the better the product will eventually be just as in any product development .:)

Reactions: radXge

·
Registered
659 Posts
Leon, No worries. I understand 100% what you are saying about consumer vs pro equipment and CalMan and the LUT issues, etc.. If my comments implied that CM Home for LG has no issues, that absolutely was not my intent. The point of my initial post was to say that the new Shadow Detail control in the beta works as described based on my experience and the conversation degraded into what we see above. It's very frustrating for me as well to see people having problems with the CM Home since it was designed to be easily used. There are many who can use the software no problem but then I see Ted and others here spending lots of energy trying to solve problems and still we see lots of users who can't complete a simple calibration for whatever reason. I can see from the beta that Portrait is making attempts getting meter's like the i1D3 working properly and reliably so users can get consistent results like you describe and we should also see improvements in LUT capabilities as well as other usability aspects in future releases. Whether they use the X-Rite SDK or not for the i1D3, we need to see how the released software actually works. The iTPG has to work flawlessly at some point since that's a big cost savings feature. But again, when all is said and done, the proof is when we see the changes and can evaluate them. I agree, let's end this discussion for now. I've said what i needed to say and stand by my observations and agree there are issues, some significant as you have pointed out and too many users having trouble using the product. Let's see what happens. In the mean time CM Home for LG users having problems should work with Portrait support and if you are not getting the response you need, PM WifiSpy and i'm sure Tyler will help. Although this thread is loaded with information and many users who may be able to help it's not a support site. The more problems and information you can send to the Portrait support site or even join the Beta, the better the product will eventually be just as in any product development .:)
With all respect John, I didn't pay for CM Home to become a beta tester, some of the major issues have been reported for a long time now. This is why I gave up on the software TBH and no way am I going to re-new anytime soon, I was hoping they might have been resolved by now.
I am by no means experienced in this field, I've learned a lot through the forums, but it's kind of a frustrating experience using CM at the moment.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
With all respect John, I didn't pay for CM Home to become a beta tester, some of the major issues have been reported for a long time now. This is why I gave up on the software TBH and no way am I going to re-new anytime soon, I was hoping they might have been resolved by now.
I am by no means experienced in this field, I've learned a lot through the forums, but it's kind of a frustrating experience using CM at the moment.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just did my calibration on OLED77CXPUA; HDR looks great but now I get a green screen on Dolby Vision from Netflix. WTF?

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
54 Posts
I just did my calibration on OLED77CXPUA; HDR looks great but now I get a green screen on Dolby Vision from Netflix. WTF?
More than likely this is a bug applying your LUT/config to the TV properly. I think this only happens with Dolby Vision modes. More than likely, power cycling your set will fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well!

I've been trying to calibrate my LG CX 48 (running software 03.11.25) using AutoCal (version 5.11.0) and an i1 Display Pro, but unfortunately the software isn't working for me. Below I've outlined some minor bugs during the calibration process, the final outcome, and the settings I'm using. I've also opened a ticket with Portrait Displays, but seeing how there's great advice in this thread I thought it'd be worth a shot to post here as well.
It would be great if someone could help me out with correcting these errors! (@WiFi-Spy ? @jrref ? @Rickyzan , seems like you had similar issues – did you find a solution?)

Minor Bugs
For starters, during greyscale calibration I often encounter 'dips' in RGB calibration that the software simply ignores, I have to restart the process (or the entire programme) until it works out. The process length also varies greatly, sometimes finishing in 10min, sometimes taking almost half an hour.

During the colour space calibration, the reading ramps countdown goes below 0.

Calibration Errors
But now for the reason why I decided to post here. Following calibration, the results are almost comically bad, as the final readout shows. What's more, grey values seem to be replaced with shades of neon pink and green, and during video playback only a green screen with a blue 10% square is shown, which persists until the TV is rebooted. These results are unfortunately reproducible. See photos below:

Calibration Settings
I followed the Portrait Displays tutorial videos for setup. This calibration was attempted for ISF Bright, I haven't touched any other modes yet. I set up the i1 Display meter with settings I found in an earlier post of this thread.

Could you please help me out here? I'm a total noob when it comes to calibration, which is why I purchased the AutoCal in the first place. I'm a bit miffed that a $150 product produces results like these, but seeing how it's worked fine for lots of people I'm sure there's a solution for this. Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
At the moment i would prefer a manual calibration with calman. The autocal ist still buggy. these Functions are to complex to work automated.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well!

I've been trying to calibrate my LG CX 48 (running software 03.11.25) using AutoCal (version 5.11.0) and an i1 Display Pro, but unfortunately the software isn't working for me. Below I've outlined some minor bugs during the calibration process, the final outcome, and the settings I'm using. I've also opened a ticket with Portrait Displays, but seeing how there's great advice in this thread I thought it'd be worth a shot to post here as well.
It would be great if someone could help me out with correcting these errors! (@WiFi-Spy ? @jrref ? @Rickyzan , seems like you had similar issues – did you find a solution?)

Minor Bugs
For starters, during greyscale calibration I often encounter 'dips' in RGB calibration that the software simply ignores, I have to restart the process (or the entire programme) until it works out. The process length also varies greatly, sometimes finishing in 10min, sometimes taking almost half an hour.
View attachment 3047958

During the colour space calibration, the reading ramps countdown goes below 0.
View attachment 3047959

Calibration Errors
But now for the reason why I decided to post here. Following calibration, the results are almost comically bad, as the final readout shows. What's more, grey values seem to be replaced with shades of neon pink and green, and during video playback only a green screen with a blue 10% square is shown, which persists until the TV is rebooted. These results are unfortunately reproducible. See photos below:

View attachment 3047960 View attachment 3047961 View attachment 3047962

Calibration Settings
I followed the Portrait Displays tutorial videos for setup. This calibration was attempted for ISF Bright, I haven't touched any other modes yet. I set up the i1 Display meter with settings I found in an earlier post of this thread.

View attachment 3047963 View attachment 3047964 View attachment 3047965

Could you please help me out here? I'm a total noob when it comes to calibration, which is why I purchased the AutoCal in the first place. I'm a bit miffed that a $150 product produces results like these, but seeing how it's worked fine for lots of people I'm sure there's a solution for this. Thanks a lot :)
Those dips is a known problem. Good that you reported it to Portrait. They should be able to tell you what to do. It's almost like there is a mis-read.
The LUT countdown going less then 0 is normal. Right now i would only do a Lightning LUT for SDR, Matrix for HDR.
When you see post cal readings like you are getting don't even bother looking at anything since something is seriously wrong. Once you get everything working you can play with the Fixed Grid but i would wait for the the next few releases before using those LUTs. The Lightning LUT with the unity LUT checked will give you a good result when everything is working.

There is a known bug in the LG where the LUT doesn't load properly all the time. Even when you do the 1DLUT the LUT is loaded over and over as part of the process. I have a feeling this is what's going on. While you are waiting for Portrait, i would do one factory reset, then unplug your TV for a minute or two then plug it back in and start all over. Try doing Filmmaker or ISF Dark with an OLED light at 50-55 which is about 150 nits. Also i'm not sure if your meter settings are correct maybe someone here can validate your settings. Also i would connect directly to the TV using an ethernet cable and don't go through your home router. Sometimes a delay, etc, can cause problems, not what you are seeing, but lets eliminate that variable.

Also for now if you haven't done so already, leave the autocal set to dE of 0.5 the default. Autocal is tricky. Sometimes if you set the threshold too low it can give you a worse result. The best way to use Autocal, and don't do this now, wait until everything is working, is once you do a run, assuming 100% is set correctly, you look at the xyY coordinates for each IRE, then in the DDC drop down menu, upper right, you can adjust any IREs which aren't close enough to the D65 targets. Just don't touch 100% or you will have to rescan everything. You may have to open up the graph to see which color to adjust. You can do this by right clicking on the graph to get to the properties to make the change. For now the balance doesn't need to be perfectly flat.

I would also PM WiFiSpy since he can take a quick look at your meter settings. It looks bad but i think it has something to do with the loading of the LUT something simple. I can tell you from experience, some sets display this LUT loading problem more than others. I have no idea why. If all this doesn't help i would ask WifiSpy if you can get the Beta software since there are more fixes to help some of these issues.

Let us know how it goes and don't get frustrated. We will get this working for you.

Reactions: sejs and uncynical

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
So that green screen, everyone gets that from time to time. It's a problem loading the LUT to the TV. First, if the green is only on one PM just try unplugging the set for a minute or two then plug it back in. That should fix it. If it's on more than one DV PM then the config file you loaded is bad. To fix that you need to unplug then replug then redo the DV calibration. Don't be frustrated, this happens to me and other pros when you touch the LUT. Some sets display this problem more than other's, i have no idea why.

3361 - 3380 of 3559 Posts