AVS Forum banner

4221 - 4240 of 4308 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried the shadow control on the c9 connecting as a 2020 lg oled but moving the controls after a 1dlut calibrating dv cinema had no visible results when using diversified solutions dv patterns. I still get black crush below 2% black on these patterns.

Do the controls work only on the lg cx or else what am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hello, I think I would like to attempt a 2pt SM Calibration. Can anyone PM me a quick run down on the best way to do it? My understanding is that I just adjust Warm in the SM, that will make all picture modes pretty accurate pre cal correct?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I Think Calman LG just bricked my 2020 CX HDR playback. Successfully did an SDR cal yesterday. Good results. Today I attempted HDR using the file Tyler provided to get the TV in HDR. Got through the pre cal measurements and ddc reset and 1D lut. Shortly after the 3D LUT started the program crashed. I noticed the screen was black not the usual grey of the test file. The TV was unresponsive. I unplugged the tv and rebooted the PC. The TV came back on but as soon as I tried to play any HDR either from the USB or streamed from Amazon the screen would go black and the TV would freeze until I pulled the power. I got the PC back connected and tried a few DDC resets of the HDR cinema mode that I was calibrating. No joy. As soon as the TV sees any HDR it goes black and freezes. Any thoughts? I will email portrait hopefully they will replace my TV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Think Calman LG just bricked my 2020 CX HDR playback. Successfully did an SDR cal yesterday. Good results. Today I attempted HDR using the file Tyler provided to get the TV in HDR. Got through the pre cal measurements and ddc reset and 1D lut. Shortly after the 3D LUT started the program crashed. I noticed the screen was black not the usual grey of the test file. The TV was unresponsive. I unplugged the tv and rebooted the PC. The TV came back on but as soon as I tried to play any HDR either from the USB or streamed from Amazon the screen would go black and the TV would freeze until I pulled the power. I got the PC back connected and tried a few DDC resets of the HDR cinema mode that I was calibrating. No joy. As soon as the TV sees any HDR it goes black and freezes. Any thoughts? I will email portrait hopefully they will replace my TV.
Have you tried a factory reset?
Settings | all settings | support | reset to initial settings.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I tried the shadow control on the c9 connecting as a 2020 lg oled but moving the controls after a 1dlut calibrating dv cinema had no visible results when using diversified solutions dv patterns. I still get black crush below 2% black on these patterns.

Do the controls work only on the lg cx or else what am I doing wrong?

You cannot use those test patterns. We are going to be releasing some later this week.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discovered that HDR cinema is just black. I got a few inches from the screen and saw that the picture was very very dark but I was able to select a different mode. Will likely need to full factory reset.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You cannot use those test patterns. We are going to be releasing some later this week.

Will these patterns you’re releasing also work on the c9?

Reactions: FarleyUK

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally just make sure I disconnect from TV and close CalMan before doing an HDR calibration. I never have problems when I do that.

I've tried that, still the same problem. I didn't have any problems with uploading tonemap before updating to the latest Calman Home version.

Maybe I'll just wait for the next LG firmware and try again then. My maximum brightness after calibration is about 710 nits, so I guess it wont make any hughe difference if I don't upload a custom tonemap?

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I've tried that, still the same problem. I didn't have any problems with uploading tonemap before updating to the latest Calman Home version.

Maybe I'll just wait for the next LG firmware and try again then. My maximum brightness after calibration is about 710 nits, so I guess it wont make any hughe difference if I don't upload a custom tonemap?
Right because the Tone Map from the factory assumes 700 nits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone,

Regarding the shadow detail controls in Calman, is it possible to tweak them again after I finished and closed an autocal session?

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Hey everyone,

Regarding the shadow detail controls in Calman, is it possible to tweak them again after I finished and closed an autocal session?
No

Reactions: heldern

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have followed this thread since I got CalMan last summer, and I have "successfully" calibrated my display. (For a novice like me, I have no way to tell how successfull)

Before I used CalMan (and had another TV) I downloaded test-patterns for manual calibration, like the one from AVS HD 709.
Now, after I have preformed a SDR calibration (ISF Dark room) on my LG B9, following Portrait Displays walkthrough and Youtube video, and everything seems correct. But I have three questions:
  1. When I display the "Black clipping"-clip from AVS HD 709, I can barely see bar 19 blinking, and nothing below. Does that mean I should raise the OLED light when asked in the calibration, so I can see bar 17 blink (but not 16)?
  2. When I calibrate for HDR and DV, I do not get any questions about luminescence? Why not? Are the HDR and DV calibrations dependent on a proper SDR calibration beforehand, or is there some other magic? Or, the other way around: Why does the SDR calibration ask me about luminance/OLED Light, when HDR and DV does not?
  3. There is alot of talk about crushed blacks. What exactly do you/they mean? When I watch TV, and the presenter has a black suit, and I feel it's to dark and I can't see the details, is that what you talk about?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
2. HDR10 and DV do not let you state a target luminance as does SDR. SDR's luminance targets are a suggestion, while luminance targets for HDR10 and DV are absolutes, following the ST2084 EOTF luminance curves. All current TVs have to run at full throttle in HDR modes since they cannot meet the ST2084 requirements, so you aren't given any choice.

You should be using the AVS HD 709 on disc when setting brightness and contrast to avoid levels mismatches.

4221 - 4240 of 4308 Posts