AVS Forum banner

5341 - 5360 of 5630 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My latest attempt at a calibration for sdr dark using the beta software.This was using the lightening lut,
Nice results! Much better than I got with the 2021 Beta Lightning LUT.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
My latest attempt at a calibration for sdr dark using the beta software.This was using the lightening lut,
Perfect!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
After doing a Lightning LUT I still got those big errors in the ColorChecker SG patterns. Only a few of them have super high errors. I have just resorted to a 2pt for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I tried out the shadow detail adjustment again this time successfully.
Im not using the beta just the current release of Calman. SDR cinema for dark room viewing, same as the tutorial video.
At the cal end screen of the workflow, I disconnected lg pattern and started the low dynamic range patterns.
Same thing happened from the last time, I set shadow detail value to 322 or 323 and after hitting commit all the patterns from 100 down to 67 were at the same luminance. Patterns 64-66 had the anti chrominance overshoot blotchy thing going on. So its turning up my shadow detail value higher than the default of near 320. Im assuming doing an sdr calibration uses 320 as default.
So I ended up having to turn it way down to 100 and that brought everything back into line, to about where I was at before touching the DDC. I settled on shadow detail value of 95 were I could see 67 pretty easily and 66 as very faint.
Is this normal or is something glitching out with Calman?
Is it pointless for me not to be using the beta at this point?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
After doing a Lightning LUT I still got those big errors in the ColorChecker SG patterns. Only a few of them have super high errors. I have just resorted to a 2pt for now.

Did you switch to using wired Ethernet?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I tried out the shadow detail adjustment again this time successfully.
Im not using the beta just the current release of Calman. SDR cinema for dark room viewing, same as the tutorial video.
At the cal end screen of the workflow, I disconnected lg pattern and started the low dynamic range patterns.
Same thing happened from the last time, I set shadow detail value to 322 or 323 and after hitting commit all the patterns from 100 down to 67 were at the same luminance. Patterns 64-66 had the anti chrominance overshoot blotchy thing going on. So its turning up my shadow detail value higher than the default of near 320. Im assuming doing an sdr calibration uses 320 as default.
So I ended up having to turn it way down to 100 and that brought everything back into line, to about where I was at before touching the DDC. I settled on shadow detail value of 95 were I could see 67 pretty easily and 66 as very faint.
Is this normal or is something glitching out with Calman?
Is it pointless for me not to be using the beta at this point?
Do you have a CX or C9?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have contact with a pro, you might consider having him come and make a meter profile for you on your display with his equipment when you are ready to begin calibrating (CalMAN installed, display with 200 hours, etc). CalMAN doesn't come with a correct display type setting for WOLED TVs and the Display Pro. Although XRite includes display selections for OLED monitors in their SDK used by CalMAN, these are for RGB OLED computer monitors only and not correct for TVs.
I calibrated i1 Display Pro with an i1 Pro 2, but I realize I did it with Meter Mode set to OLED. Is it okay to continue with OLED mode + calibration or should I re-calibrate with mode set to Raw XYZ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Follow the steps in the video. With a stock I1D3, you'll want to use "RawXYZ" as the display type. CalMAN uses the XRite factory SDK EDRs (display types) and none of them are for consumer WOLED TVs, but only for RGB OLED computer displays.
For SDR, you don't need to have external SDR content playing, as the patterns themselves ARE the content in this case. You only need the USB video when calibrating HDR, to put the set into HDR mode, as you are actually sending SDR test patterns and calibrating the base display underneath the HDR processing layer.
Where do I find the patterns for sdr? I was told there was some built into calman that I could use on my B8 but I don't know where to look

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Where do I find the patterns for sdr? I was told there was some built into calman that I could use on my B8 but I don't know where to look
Your best solution is with the raspberry pi pattern generator. The built-in Pattern Generator only applies to the C9 and B9 and newer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,

First of all, excuse me for my English (i'm French), and sorry if the question has have already asked here.

I'm a "new born" in calibration. My last two OLED was calibrate by a professionnel.

I will buy soon the new LG 83C1, and i'm very interested to learn more about calibration and do it by myself.

I have some questions just to be sure i understand all :

1) With LG Home Calman we don't need to use pattern generator in SDR, HDR and DV? so we don't have to use for exemple in HDR the Munsel disc? to calibrate for HDR 1000 nits, 4000 nits 10000 nits, you need to create many profile?
2) i have a BD Player, a mutimedia player and a PS5, when you calibrate, did you put the USB on the TV or directly in BD Player, PS5 etc ? It's simple to calibrate game SDR and HDR mode ?
3) During your calibration do you adjust the brightness and contrast measure? i know in 2019 it will be impossible without a spectrometer, i don't know if it's always the case or not. If it is how do you calibrate the brightness and contrast ?
4) For SDR and HDR it's better to calibrate in Expert or in Filmmaker mode?
5) For you wich is better between I1 display pro and C6 HDR2000 ? and why?

Thank you for your help and have a nice day

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your best solution is with the raspberry pi pattern generator. The built-in Pattern Generator only applies to the C9 and B9 and newer.
Where can I get that? I thought and was told I could do a sdr calibration using just the i1Display Pro and calman home as it had test patterns built in

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone,

First of all, excuse me for my English (i'm French), and sorry if the question has have already asked here.

I'm a "new born" in calibration. My last two OLED was calibrate by a professionnel.

I will buy soon the new LG 83C1, and i'm very interested to learn more about calibration and do it by myself.

I have some questions just to be sure i understand all :

1) With LG Home Calman we don't need to use pattern generator in SDR, HDR and DV? so we don't have to use for exemple in HDR the Munsel disc? to calibrate for HDR 1000 nits, 4000 nits 10000 nits, you need to create many profile?
2) i have a BD Player, a mutimedia player and a PS5, when you calibrate, did you put the USB on the TV or directly in BD Player, PS5 etc ? It's simple to calibrate game SDR and HDR mode ?
3) During your calibration do you adjust the brightness and contrast measure? i know in 2019 it will be impossible without a spectrometer, i don't know if it's always the case or not. If it is how do you calibrate the brightness and contrast ?
4) For SDR and HDR it's better to calibrate in Expert or in Filmmaker mode?
5) For you wich is better between I1 display pro and C6 HDR2000 ? and why?

Thank you for your help and have a nice day
I think most of your questions will be answered if you watch the 2020 CX tutorial videos. Watch them all, SDR, hdr10, and dolby vision.
PS5 doesn't output sdr correctly, so you could use usb on another console or BD player, with the tv in game mode.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I was still having problems with the Beta so I decided to downgrade to CalMan 2020 and ran an SDR and it was perfectly fine. Idk what was causing problems but it seems to be something with the Beta. I’ll just wait till all the kinks get worked out and try again later.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think he meant the LUT you did would load after power cycling, not re-doing the calibration. Did you take readings after plugging it back in?
I’m not sure how the LUT would load without re-doing the calibration, since Calman was already disconnected leaving nowhere for the LUT to load from. I don’t think I can evaluate whether the undersaturation of color is occurring until after I’ve unchecked “Enable Calibration” and I’ve disconnected from the iTPG. I was short on time last night, so I’ll re-investigate when I have more time. I do know that I didn’t have this issue my previous calibration which was done with 2020 R2. I may end up having to redo the calibration with 2020 R2 unless I figure this out.

Update: I power cycled the TV without re-doing the calibration, and no change.

I took a couple of photos to demonstrate the difference. Of course they don't exactly match what I'm seeing on screen. The first image is with uncalibrated HDR Technicolor Expert. This is the approximate color saturation level I'm expecting for HDR. The second is HDR Cinema calibrated with 2021 Beta. In reality on screen when in the calibrated Cinema mode, the liquid in the glass and the pomegranate seeds at least slightly closer to the brownish color of tea than red.

Technicolor Expert uncalibrated:

Cinema 2021 Beta calibration:

This is closer to what it looks like to me on screen:

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I’m not sure how the LUT would load without re-doing the calibration, since Calman was already disconnected leaving nowhere for the LUT to load from. I don’t think I can evaluate whether the undersaturation of color is occurring until after I’ve unchecked “Enable Calibration” and I’ve disconnected from the iTPG. I was short on time last night, so I’ll re-investigate when I have more time. I do know that I didn’t have this issue my previous calibration which was done with 2020 R2. I may end up having to redo the calibration with 2020 R2 unless I figure this out.

Update: I power cycled the TV without re-doing the calibration, and no change.

I took a couple of photos to demonstrate the difference. Of course they don't exactly match what I'm seeing on screen. The first image is with uncalibrated HDR Technicolor Expert. This is the approximate color saturation level I'm expecting for HDR. The second is HDR Cinema calibrated with 2021 Beta. In reality on screen when in the calibrated Cinema mode, the liquid in the glass and the pomegranate seeds at least slightly closer to the brownish color of tea than red.

Technicolor Expert uncalibrated:
View attachment 3119803

Cinema 2021 Beta calibration:
View attachment 3119806

This is closer to what it looks like to me on screen:
View attachment 3119812
I've seen this before. If you can, do a factory reset then do the HDR calibration first and see if you still get the same problem. My guess is you won't.

5341 - 5360 of 5630 Posts