AVS Forum banner
221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Are you referring to the graph? It is because we are in different workflows. The graph that I have put is of the manual workflow and yours is of autocal. If that's what you mean.

It seems that Calman their Calman Panasonic customers are not interested in us. We are not as important as your LG customers
We will be working with Panasonic on a solution. Since there is no standard for HDR10 at tone mapping, each manufacturer has their own tone curves.

If you would currently like to maintain the Panasonic tone curve, then I would suggest skipping the multi point adjustment and just doing the two point adjustment + CMS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have calibrated another Panasonic getting the following results in SDR. Grayscale only, no CMS.

As you can see, these Panasonic panels have an excellent factory calibration as a common denominator, and in that sense they surpass the competition
Autocal for Pana got a new update . Seems to be that they fixed CMS , i calibrated HDR with CMS and all good now .

·
Registered
Pana 65HZW2004, Arcam AVR10, Kef LS50 Meta, Kef KC62 | i1Display Pro Plus, HDFury Integral 2, UMIK-1
3 Posts
You can calibrate Dolby Vision on the Panasonic with Calman Home, but it requires an external pattern generator unlike LG. So it’s not really feasible for most home users because they do not have a $1500 pattern generator. If I was a home user, I would pick up the DVS Dolby Vision pattern set and just do a two point white balance manual calibration in Dolby Vision mode on the TV. You could use the HDR manual Calibration Workflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if that is also true for the HZ2000 series?

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I wonder if that is also true for the HZ2000 series?
Likely so. This review calibrated the set in both SDR and HDR, but not DV, probably because of the need for a DV-capable pattern generator:

·
Registered
Pana 65HZW2004, Arcam AVR10, Kef LS50 Meta, Kef KC62 | i1Display Pro Plus, HDFury Integral 2, UMIK-1
3 Posts
So, when I bought my HZ2000 I also went with an i1Display Pro Plus for calibrating. I figured out, that the Pana wouldn't produce DV patterns a little too late as well as the "loss" of tone mapping when calibrating HDR with multipoint grayscale with the Calman Home for Panasonic.
From what I read in the forum the current state is:
1.) The HZ2000 is pretty accurate already in Filmmaker Mode.
2.) Calibration with only a colorimeter at hand is completely possible for SDR. *
3.) Calibrating HDR will require you to chose (or have two profiles) between a multipoint grayscale calibration losing tone mapping or skipping grayscale calibration to keep tone mapping.
4.) Full DV (Dolby Vision) calibration is only possible though an extern TPG (test pattern generator). You can however at least calibrate the two point white balance using the DVS Dolby Vision pattern.

Are there any updates on 3.) already?
Regarding 4.) I just ordered an HDFury Integral 2 and read too late, that Calman is not compatible with the new versions anymore to produce test patterns directly. Is there a way to get DV test patterns from Calman to work somehow with the Integral 2? My laptop has an integrated Intel HD 620 with only USB-C outs (have an HDMI adapter) and PC with an GTX 1060 - would any of these even be bit perfect? Would be great to have an TPG app for the Shield Pro that would connect to Calman, if that device is considered bit perfect.

Summing up, not sure it's worth it for a consumer to go through all that for a Pana TV - only really for SDR calibration and partly HDR calibration, without mainly DV even.

* You are still left with an unprofiled/uncalibrated Colorimeter when not using another reference or buy an pre-calibrated one. Or how would I calibrate an i1Display without spending again thousands...

PS: Dirac Live with an UMIK-1 is so much easier :D

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
HDFury boxes can not give you DV patterns by adding metadata, as DV patterns use a "tunneled" format. HDFury boxes do not produce patterns anyway. All they do is inject HDR metadata into SDR RGB Full patterns. You can use the HDFury boxes with CalMAN by using the Fury GUI to tell the box to inject the desired HDR metadata and AV strings into the signal from a pattern generator such as the PGenerator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HDFury boxes can not give you DV patterns by adding metadata, as DV patterns use a "tunneled" format. HDFury boxes do not produce patterns anyway. All they do is inject HDR metadata into SDR RGB Full patterns. You can use the HDFury boxes with CalMAN by using the Fury GUI to tell the box to inject the desired HDR metadata and AV strings into the signal from a pattern generator such as the PGenerator.
Yes, correct. Cannot produce patterns, but if I understood correctly Calman (at least in older version?) could feed the Integral (1) directly with (DV?) patterns. Also, aside PGenerator, this might be the same with a PC, right? https://app.spectracal.com/Documents/QSGs/HDfury Integral QuickStart.pdf
Would the described "Quick Start" also work with the Integral 2 and make any sense to use to calibrate DV?

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
There was a procedure talked about some years ago where one could generate DV patterns with a PC equipped with certain Intel video cards/chips. But it was extremely tedious to set up correctly and often did not produce correct results, so it's no longer suggested/recommended by Portrait. The guide you reference is really no longer applicable. It describes use of an original Integral with a 2017 LG OLED, not a 2020 Panasonic. Unfortunately, CalMAN can no longer control HDFury components directly as described due to different HDFury SDKs and in the case of the Integral I, a change in CalMAN's USB driver a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was wondering if I can select something else than the 14 "Active Grayscale Points" (14 SDR JZ80) for my JZ1000 in AutoCal.

Especially with an i1Display Pro it's very difficult (even impossible?) to reliable measure the 0.5 and 1.4 Grayscale Points. So I would like to select a 12 point Grayscale option (that starts with the 2.3 point). Maybe @WiFi-Spy has an answer to this.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I was wondering if I can select something else than the 14 "Active Grayscale Points" (14 SDR JZ80) for my JZ1000 in AutoCal.

View attachment 3167175

Especially with an i1Display Pro it's very difficult (even impossible?) to reliable measure the 0.5 and 1.4 Grayscale Points. So I would like to select a 12 point Grayscale option (that starts with the 2.3 point). Maybe @WiFi-Spy has an answer to this.
Is the 12 point option not available for you?

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Unfortunately not, only have 14 point options:

View attachment 3167498

Just to try some things out, I connected as a GZ-Series, but than I have no grayscale points options (guess, was to be expected).
We have entered a bug report and we will add the 12 point option in Calman 2021 R4 coming soon.

A workaround for now would just be to cancel the grayscale calibration when it gets to 1.4%.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have entered a bug report and we will add the 12 point option in Calman 2021 R4 coming soon.

A workaround for now would just be to cancel the grayscale calibration when it gets to 1.4%.
Thanks for the update. I was already thinking myself about canceling it after 2.3%, but not not sure if it would influence the rest of the AutoCal. Thanks for the confirmation.

221 - 240 of 273 Posts