AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just for fun I gave my electronic Tech (he now repairs all audio/video gear we sell as since my stroke I cannot be sure! ) the job of calibrating this TV.After a few attempts he swore and gave up.???
He said there is so much more a user needs to know not just plug and play! Following the instructions by the letter he had similar problems I had.If it was not for the forum I would have given up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If that's what you used, that's fine. I'd still look at HDMI Black Level.
Yes I checked but its grayed out so I will pick an unused input and change it.I will use all the suggestions and give it another go.Again your help was outstanding.I will get it right in the end thanks to the help.
Chris

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes I checked but its grayed out so I will pick an unused input and change it.I will use all the suggestions and give it another go.
HDMI Black Level can only be changed when there's an active RGB signal. RGB Limited 10-bit ought to work fine, but you might prefer to use YCbCr 4:2:2 10-bit, as it avoids any RGB level inconsistency; it's what I use, with 1920x1080p60 for SDR and 3840x2160p24 for HDR.

I have a few more straws to grasp at. A Full DDC Reset doesn't reset some important settings (at least not via IP on my Q90R), so check these manually using the TV's UI before you start. Under Expert Settings for both SDR and HDR: Color should be 25; Tint should be 0; Contrast Enhancer should be Off; Color Tone should be Warm2; Gamma should be BT.1886 + 0 for SDR, ST.2084 + 0 for HDR; Local Dimming should be Low for SDR, High for HDR. (You may prefer to change SDR Local Dimming to Standard after you're done calibrating.) One other thing to check/change, for HDR, this time after you do the DDC Reset, on the TV UI go to Expert Settings->Color Space Settings->Color Gamut and set it to DCI-P3; PD support has told me that it's actually more accurate on the Q90R than BT.2020, and I expect the same is true for the Q900R.

A couple other global TV settings to check. General->Intelligent Mode Settings->Adaptive Brightness should be disabled, General->Eco Solution->Ambient Light Detection, Power Saving Mode and Motion Lighting should all be disabled.

And finally, for HDR, make sure General->External Device Manager->Input Signal Plus is enabled for HDMI port that the VFPro is on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One more suggestion, warm up the TV by displaying real content for 30 minutes or so, before you calibrate.
Whow!! Yes I do warm up the tv before a CAL.All light modes are off (I have always tended to disable all unessential settings) Other you suggest I will try.Re Local dimming I set it for standard as I thought that if I set it to low then after back to standard being brighter would affect the picture?? I know that this can happen if I set it to high picture is YUK!!!.
Re my tech!! he tried to calibrate as a newbie who followed instructions on the software(logical) so he ended up with the same results as I did POOR!!.If it was not for the forum help some people would give up and retire on a desert island!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Re Local dimming I set it for standard as I thought that if I set it to low then after back to standard being brighter would affect the picture?? I know that this can happen if I set it to high picture is YUK!!!.
For sure you don't want to use Local Dimming on High for SDR. I've previously measured my Q90R on both Low and Standard for SDR, and they measure the same, so it probably doesn't really matter whether you calibrate SDR on Low vs Standard. It's just that all the advice I've ever seen is to calibrate with dimming disabled if possible, otherwise set to lowest possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes I read that as well but I cannot disable LD unless we have a special remote? Sure has been a mission but have learnt a lot and made my brain work again.I will reconnect all the gear and have another go.
Chris in Sunny and free to do anything and go anywhere New Zealand (dont catch the bug)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Would be interesting to know what we can expect. Want to buy a license, but it needs to fully support my Q95T first
The next Calman release will support this set.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
is there a beta version we could try?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
is there a beta version we could try?
Portrait doesn't offer demos that work with any real-world hardware. You can download a trial version, but it only uses simulated or virtual devices to show you how the program operates and what it looks like. You cannot make any real measurements. Their beta program is not a public one, and I'm pretty sure you have to have an existing paid license in order to participate.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I have the license, I just need the support for 2020

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I have the C6 meter, the VideoForge pattern generator and license for the software. So if someone has information on a beta, I would love a message :)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
In that case, you'll need to contact Portrait support tomorrow to see if they are still accepting beta testers.
The current 5.11.0 on the website is the most recent release. There haven't been any betas since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Right, and even then you can't do it in Movie mode, hence the advice is to set it to Low as the best available option.
Hi
Well I did another 6 cals with revised settings then made small changes before each cal to see if I can get a better calibration.This pic is the best I have got so far all 6 were about the same took hrs very slow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well I did another 6 cals with revised settings then made small changes before each cal to see if I can get a better calibration.This pic is the best I have got so far all 6 were about the same took hrs very slow
I'm kinda stumped for what else to suggest, sorry. Can you use the Manual Calibration workflow, selecting SDR, go the Grayscale Multipoint page, just do a Read Series using your calibrated settings (don't change anything), and post a screenshot of the results?

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK will do.I have been doing the cals at night but am fed up going to bed at 2am HAHA!!!. Do you think I could get away with a black blanket draped over the screen or similar? I can then continue in the day.

521 - 540 of 563 Posts