AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
OK will do.I have been doing the cals at night but am fed up going to bed at 2am HAHA!!!. Do you think I could get away with a black blanket draped over the screen or similar? I can then continue in the day.
I'd worry about heat dissipation, using a blanket like that. To see if ambient light makes a difference, try taking readings during the day using the Manual Calibration workflow, either the Pre- or Post-Calibration page, and compare results with what you have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes I thought that would be a problem.This tv screen sure gets warm.I will try and blackout the windows without upsetting the wife.!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well gave up today all cals became very poor indeed and I changed nothing???????? So I am going back to the beginning again so very annoying.I did save two cal settings so can revert back to them if I give up!! Never thought it would be soo fussy.I calibrated a room and loudspeakers with DEQX today not easy but it came out very well indeed.Perhaps I should stick to audio!! Chris

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well gave up today all cals became very poor indeed and I changed nothing???????? So I am going back to the beginning again so very annoying.I did save two cal settings so can revert back to them if I give up!!
Restore one of the settings, and try taking just measurements with them for SDR using Manual Calibration, day or night is fine.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well I have gone back to basics this is the best so far not sure if I can better it yet.
It would be useful if you could do measurements with those settings, in the Grayscale Multipoint page of the Manual Calibration workflow, and post a screenshot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey all, just got a 2019 Q80R 82" and a X-Rite i1Display Pro (EODIS3) and am drinking from a fire hose. :D

To climb the learning curve and get experience with any of the the set's quirks I started with Mehanik's HDR10 patterns on a USB drive. I had a bunch of problems to start, like accidentally entering SDR settings randomly while the pattern movies switched from one to another. Anyway, I got past most of those self-inflicted injuries and used the 2 point cals to get close, then used the 20 point settings, although my gains and CMS settings are all over and I still have a lot of blue in white scenes. After reading all the posts in this thread (which is great; thanks all), I'm thinking my V1 toolchain is flawed, so considering CALMAN:

1. My iDP came in retail packaging but seems to read over 1000nits. Based on some posts, I guess this is due to manufacturer final test binning or marketing misdirection. I saw some questions as to the peak brightness of the 82" Q80R- if I can get confident in my meter's output I'm happy to publish some tests. Is there a serial marking that might tell me more?
Edit: found this which describes serial numbers

2. I see it's good to have a spectrometer calibration file. If somebody would like to sell a well done file I'd be willing to send over some bucks/quid. :D

3. In my fiddling, I found the CMS settings and 20 point settings odd in that sometimes they had an effect, sometimes not- especially the CMS controls. After reading this thread I'm wondering if my contrast/brightness settings affected the system. I was adjusting them a bit, but not much off the Samsung reset defaults.

4. I understand that the 2019 models has variable grey adjustment steps (X-axis) from the factory and I suspect the steps are not matching Mehanik's HDR10 grey pattern steps. Does this seem right?

It seems like Calman for Samsung can now control my Q80R via IP remote functionality. I do not plan on buying a hardware pattern generator. Has consensus emerged regarding the best patterns to use and the best method if not using pattern generator hardware? Does autocal require hardware, or can I use patterns on a USB drive or use some other method to give Calman the patterns it needs?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
1. My iDP came in retail packaging but seems to read over 1000nits. Based on some posts, I guess this is due to manufacturer final test binning or marketing misdirection. I saw some questions as to the peak brightness of the 82" Q80R- if I can get confident in my meter's output I'm happy to publish some tests. Is there a serial marking that might tell me more?
Edit: found this which describes serial numbers
Hi, the Retail i1Display PRO can report even 2-3K nits to the software, it will not stop to 1000nits.

X-Rite rates the Retail for 1000 nits and the more expensive (OEM or Retail Plus) for 2000 nits.

2. I see it's good to have a spectrometer calibration file. If somebody would like to sell a well done file I'd be willing to send over some bucks/quid.
It will require to profile your specific colorimeter with a Spectro.

You can't use other user values of a Spectro with the same TV model like yours, and it will not work.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
3. In my fiddling, I found the CMS settings and 20 point settings odd in that sometimes they had an effect, sometimes not- especially the CMS controls. After reading this thread I'm wondering if my contrast/brightness settings affected the system. I was adjusting them a bit, but not much off the Samsung reset defaults.

4. I understand that the 2019 models has variable grey adjustment steps (X-axis) from the factory and I suspect the steps are not matching Mehanik's HDR10 grey pattern steps. Does this seem right?

It seems like Calman for Samsung can now control my Q80R via IP remote functionality. I do not plan on buying a hardware pattern generator. Has consensus emerged regarding the best patterns to use and the best method if not using pattern generator hardware? Does autocal require hardware, or can I use patterns on a USB drive or use some other method to give Calman the patterns it needs?
The HDR adjustment points don't line up with 5% increments; for example, on my 75" Q90R, the first adjustment point is actually 28.8%. Apparently the HDR adjustment points in 2019 sets can vary by model, and perhaps even panel size. I can tell you what they are on my 75" Q90R, but I have no idea what other models/sizes they match. Unfortunately, HDR 20pt Autocal is not supported for 2019 sets. Autocal requires a supported automated pattern generator; for HDR, only hardware pattern generators are officially supported. The HDR CMS controls are mostly ineffective on my Q90R, and even the HDR 20pt controls can be relatively ineffective with Contrast at 50. Assuming the Q80R is like the Q90R, at defaults (Contrast 50) the HDR EOTF curve will be elevated. This can be mitigated by lowering Contrast somewhat (and measuring to make sure you don't end up with areas below the curve). Best to leave HDR Backlight at 50, and I've seen no reason to alter Brightness. As you lower Contrast, my sense is that both 20pt and CMS controls become somewhat more responsive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The HDR adjustment points don't line up with 5% increments; for example, on my 75" Q90R, the first adjustment point is actually 28.8%. Apparently the HDR adjustment points in 2019 sets can vary by model, and perhaps even panel size. I can tell you what they are on my 75" Q90R, but I have no idea what other models/sizes they match. Unfortunately, HDR 20pt Autocal is not supported for 2019 sets. Autocal requires a supported automated pattern generator; for HDR, only hardware pattern generators are officially supported. The HDR CMS controls are mostly ineffective on my Q90R, and even the HDR 20pt controls can be relatively ineffective with Contrast at 50. Assuming the Q80R is like the Q90R, at defaults (Contrast 50) the HDR EOTF curve will be elevated. This can be mitigated by lowering Contrast somewhat (and measuring to make sure you don't end up with areas below the curve). Best to leave HDR Backlight at 50, and I've seen no reason to alter Brightness. As you lower Contrast, my sense is that both 20pt and CMS controls become somewhat more responsive.
Ok, I think what you are saying about contrast lines up with my experience, but I need to go back and check and experiment to be sure. Yeah, ok, seems like I will just stick with HCFR for a while. It doesn't seem a spectrometer is worth the cost for these displays and their calibration capabilities. What do you think?

So, if my Q80R is like your Q90R, then the first 5% increment may also be 28.8% white- in that case, if I'm using a HDR setup pattern/movie at 5% intervals and the 5% interval is really 5% white, and the first Q80R increment is adjusting 28.8% white, then that is a problem. Do I understand this correctly?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ok, I think what you are saying about contrast lines up with my experience, but I need to go back and check and experiment to be sure. Yeah, ok, seems like I will just stick with HCFR for a while. It doesn't seem a spectrometer is worth the cost for these displays and their calibration capabilities. What do you think?

So, if my Q80R is like your Q90R, then the first 5% increment may also be 28.8% white- in that case, if I'm using a HDR setup pattern/movie at 5% intervals and the 5% interval is really 5% white, and the first Q80R increment is adjusting 28.8% white, then that is a problem. Do I understand this correctly?
Only you can answer the cost/benefit of a spectro. I initially bought a C6 HDR2000 as an intermediate step, because with CalMAN it has a built-in meter mode for 2019 QLEDs, which I figured would be reasonably accurate. If you don't have a similar built-in mode for your meter, and no spectro, I don't know how you get reasonable accuracy, no matter what software you use. As an example, this post shows how far off RawXYZ mode is compared with the C6 meter mode for my Q90R.

Yes, you understand the pattern problem. I'd guess the Mehanik patterns are of no use in doing HDR 20pt adjustment for your display.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
One other point, FYI, the SDR 20pt adjustment points on my Q90R aren't 5% steps either (first one is 7%), although they're closer to 5% than the HDR ones are. My impression is that the SDR points are common across 2019 sets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How did you determine your steps? Set everything to zero and max one Samsung 5% step at a time and look for a peak, and repeat? Did you then create a custom set of test windows?

Maybe I can find a place to rent a spectrometer. Or maybe I'll just have somebody come out and calibrate it. Pretty unhappy with Samsung for a number of reasons, including their calibration sloppiness.

Another question- above, Ted mentioned each specific colorimeter needs to be calibrated with a spectrometer, but it seems like the C6 HDR2000 has a QLED profile. Is this profile somewhat generic and not optimal, but which gives reasonable results? I also see you mentioned "Perhaps you can find someone who's profiled a Q80R and willing to share their profile." Do I need to profile the colorimeter or the display?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
How did you determine your steps? Set everything to zero and max one Samsung 5% step at a time and look for a peak, and repeat? Did you then create a custom set of test windows?

Another question- above, Ted mentioned each specific colorimeter needs to be calibrated with a spectrometer, but it seems like the C6 HDR2000 has a QLED profile. Is this profile somewhat generic and not optimal, but which gives reasonable results? I also see you mentioned "Perhaps you can find someone who's profiled a Q80R and willing to share their profile." Do I need to profile the colorimeter or the display?
CalMAN shows you the adjustment points during the Autocal workflow. The reason I know what my HDR adjustment points are, is that there was a single CalMAN Beta that had the correct adjustment points for my display, before PD summarily ripped out 20pt Autocal support. I happen to have that Beta, and in fact I still use it, see this post and this post if you are curious. I don't need to come up with the right test patterns, because I have a VideoForge Pro, which can generate them on command from CalMAN. As to how the C6's meter mode (which was generated by PD using a very expensive spectro on one of their QLEDs) compares with using a spectro on my specific display, see this post and this post and this post. Which one is actually more accurate is not knowable without measuring with an even better spectro on my specific display, although opinions expressed favored using the profile generated by my spectro. My comment about someone else sharing a profile as an approximation was made in ignorance, not knowing if X-Rite provides any way of importing someone else's spectro measurements. When profiling, you're measuring characteristics of both the colorimeter and the display.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I think it's really splitting hairs in the end for consumer or pro-summer use. It's pretty hard to see the differences for most anyone besides us OCD calibrators. Even for me, the C6 HDR2000 with a ball-parked 2019 QLED profile is probably pretty damn close with all the other errors in the display system. Just a guess on my side. Not sure what I should do though. Apparently my i1Display Pro can read over 1000nits but nobody can or will say what it can actually do or how accurately. This market reminds me of the mattress market with all the confusing product names and white labelled products.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Not sure what I should do though. Apparently my i1Display Pro can read over 1000nits but nobody can or will say what it can actually do or how accurately. This market reminds me of the mattress market with all the confusing product names and white labelled products.
Hi,

You can trust the Retail i1Display PRO, or a very old C6 up to 1000 nits.

For C6-HDR, up to 1300-1300 nits max. You can see the exact nits to the paper; each meter is coming.

i1Display PRO OEM, SpectraCAL C6-HDR2000 (its a custom branded OEM unit), and i1Display PRO Plus Retail, up to 2000 nits.

I have just posted more info to see:

i1 display pro vs pro plus for projector?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Noticed that Autocal only supports Movie mode and cal day night modes.Any chance we could get Autocal for Game mode and HDR game mode on Calman 2020 like Calman for LG.
I never saw a reply to this, but I second this. Especially with the new consoles coming out soon, I'd love for a way to autocal in HDR and Game Mode.

541 - 560 of 563 Posts