AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Please report this to the support system on portrait.com. We are looking into this now but it would be helpful that much information as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, I already received an answer that you already know about it and you are working to correct it this issues

·
Registered
43 Posts
Help so Confused.
What do I need to calibrate q90t.

I bought calman Sony but returned the Sony tv can I use calman Sony for Samsung tv?

I bought the adapters.
I will buy calman Samsung depending on what answer is above.
I have xbrite colorimeter
And pattern generator using raspberry.

do I do sdr dark room setting and bright room setting
Do I do hdr dark room and bright room.

how does the adapter from tv hook up to pc and the colorimeter and raspberry color generator hook up to pc also? Confused .

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Help so Confused.
What do I need to calibrate q90t.

I bought calman Sony but returned the Sony tv can I use calman Sony for Samsung tv?

I bought the adapters.
I will buy calman Samsung depending on what answer is above.
And pattern generator using raspberry.

do I do sdr dark room setting and bright room setting
Do I do hdr dark room and bright room.

how does the adapter from tv hook up to pc and the colorimeter and raspberry color generator hook up to pc also? Confused .
If you want to use Autocal on the Q90T, then you'll have to buy Home for Samsung. If you use Home for Sony, you can only do manual calibration of the Q90T. If by adapter you mean a USB-to-serial cable for Ex-Link connection to the Q90T, you should be able to use a network connection to the Q90T instead, although in a prior post someone indicated they were having a problem using a network connection to their Q80T, so you might have to wait for a new version of CalMAN for that to work, you'd have to give it a try. Follow the instructions in the PGenerator thread for how to set up the RPi. Note that for HDR, you'll also need an HD Fury device, as described in the PGenerator thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want to use Autocal on the Q90T, then you'll have to buy Home for Samsung. If you use Home for Sony, you can only do manual calibration of the Q90T. If by adapter you mean a USB-to-serial cable for Ex-Link connection to the Q90T, you should be able to use a network connection to the Q90T instead, although in a prior post someone indicated they were having a problem using a network connection to their Q80T, so you might have to wait for a new version of CalMAN for that to work, you'd have to give it a try. Follow the instructions in the PGenerator thread for how to set up the RPi. Note that for HDR, you'll also need an HD Fury device, as described in the PGenerator thread.
Ok. Thanks for the clear advice.
A couple more questions.

1. How does manual calibration work on calman? Will it be hard to learn?

2.HD fury device. I have raspberry pi with tpg. Is all I do next is plug hd fury from Pc to hd fury to tv? And make sure settings is right from what it shown on raspberry pi thread. Will calman do the rest? This parts gets me really confused.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ok. Thanks for the clear advice.
A couple more questions.

2.HD fury device. I have raspberry pi with tpg. Is all I do next is plug hd fury from Pc to hd fury to tv? And make sure settings is right from what it shown on raspberry pi thread. Will calman do the rest? This parts gets me really confused.
If you've never calibrated anything before, then most likely it will take time and reading and practice to learn how to do, and do well. For HDR, the chain will be (network) PC to RPi and (HDMI) RPi to HD Fury to TV. Once the HD Fury settings are correct, CalMAN should be fine.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I should have mentioned, mostly likely the Q90T is like the Q90R, and does not use standard grayscale adjustment points for SDR or HDR. So for proper manual calibration, you will need to know what they are. The easy way to find them should be to use Autocal (but requires Home for Samsung), otherwise you will need someone to tell you what they are. I know what they are for my 75" Q90R, but I don't know if they are the same for the Q90T. Nor do I know if Home for Samsung Autocal actually supports Multipoint Grayscale for HDR on the Q90T (it doesn't for the Q90R), you might want to ask PD about that before you buy Home for Samsung.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I'm not actively trying to discourage you, but one more thing you might want to understand before you spend more money. With only an X-Rite colorimeter, you will have no means to calibrate the meter to your display, so you will need to use the meter in what CalMAN calls RawXYZ mode, which will be less accurate than if you had a means to calibrate the meter. You can see an example of the difference on my Q90R in that post. (You may already need to do some reading to understand those charts.) Of course, I can't say what the differences would be for your Q90T.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not actively trying to discourage you, but one more thing you might want to understand before you spend more money. With only an X-Rite colorimeter, you will have no means to calibrate the meter to your display, so you will need to use the meter in what CalMAN calls RawXYZ mode, which will be less accurate than if you had a means to calibrate the meter. You can see an example of the difference on my Q90R in that post. (You may already need to do some reading to understand those charts.) Of course, I can't say what the differences would be for your Q90T.
That is great info. I might just leave it for the professionals to do depending on this last questions.

I saw your RawXYZ charts HDR gets a little wonky. Would a better colorimeter be worth getting a more accurate color or does the rawxyz get it close enough? Or should I just hire a pro and close the rabbit hole of DIY tv calibrating.lol

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That is great info. I might just leave it for the professionals to do depending on this last questions.

I saw your RawXYZ charts HDR gets a little wonky. Would a better colorimeter be worth getting a more accurate color or does the rawxyz get it close enough? Or should I just hire a pro and close the rabbit hole of DIY tv calibrating.lol
Yet another thing I should have commented on: which X-Rite meter do you have? Given the HDR peak brightness of the Q90T, you really want the i1Display Pro Plus, which can measure up to 2000 nits. If that's what you have, then there's no better choice in the same price range. The alternative might have been to get the C6 HDR2000, as PD creates meter modes (calibrations) for it for recent displays, using a high quality spectro against a sample display of the model year. It's probably not quite as good as using your own (consumer) spectro to profile your colorimeter to your specific display, but it's better than using RawXYZ. You can see in that post another comparison for my Q90R, that one using the meter mode for the Samsung 2019 QLEDs rather than RawXYZ (note the scales on the axes are different from previous). But, I'll note that the current version of CalMAN does not yet have a meter mode for Samsung 2020 QLEDs. Also, as you've already bought a colorimeter, and assuming it's the Pro version, the C6 HDR2000 would be a significant cost increase (and it's really the same hardware, so at this point you're basically paying for the meter mode), and at that point you might wonder if it isn't better to pay even more to get an X-Rite i1Pro 3, which you could then use to do your own profiling of your colorimeter. But either way, you'll probably have spent more than you would pay for a pro calibration. As to whether the DIY time and money investment is worth it, only you can answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yet another thing I should have commented on: which X-Rite meter do you have? Given the HDR peak brightness of the Q90T, you really want the i1Display Pro Plus, which can measure up to 2000 nits. If that's what you have, then there's no better choice in the same price range. The alternative might have been to get the C6 HDR2000, as PD creates meter modes (calibrations) for it for recent displays, using a high quality spectro against a sample display of the model year. It's probably not quite as good as using your own (consumer) spectro to profile your colorimeter to your specific display, but it's better than using RawXYZ. You can see in that post another comparison for my Q90R, that one using the meter mode for the Samsung 2019 QLEDs rather than RawXYZ (note the scales on the axes are different from previous). But, I'll note that the current version of CalMAN does not yet have a meter mode for Samsung 2020 QLEDs. Also, as you've already bought a colorimeter, and assuming it's the Pro version, the C6 HDR2000 would be a significant cost increase (and it's really the same hardware, so at this point you're basically paying for the meter mode), and at that point you might wonder if it isn't better to pay even more to get an X-Rite i1Pro 3, which you could then use to do your own profiling of your colorimeter. But either way, you'll probably have spent more than you would pay for a pro calibration. As to whether the DIY time and money investment is worth it, only you can answer.
I have the xritei1display pro plus. Is that good? Will that do the job with using rawxyz or what option to choose if I have that meter?

I wanna do run through of everything if it makes a significant difference I will probably keep everything. Excited but not sure if I’m doing it right.

I’m to the point of either returning everything or biting the bullet and keep everything. I picked up the hd fury thingy to run hdr. At what moment during the walk through in calman would I chose rawxyz or the option recommended for my colorimeter?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have the xritei1display pro plus. Is that good? Will that do the job with using rawxyz or what option to choose if I have that meter?

At what moment during the walk through in calman would I chose rawxyz or the option recommended for my colorimeter?
You've got the right meter, and you should use RawXYZ. You choose that in the Session Setup page of the workflow. When you do Find Meter, a meter mode also get filled in right below that; I think it will be RawXYZ by default, but if not, just click on that element and select RawXYZ.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You've got the right meter, and you should use RawXYZ. You choose that in the Session Setup page of the workflow. When you do Find Meter, a meter mode also get filled in right below that; I think it will be RawXYZ by default, but if not, just click on that element and select RawXYZ.
Thanks again for the great info. One more thing I need clarification on.

I picked up the hd fury to do hdr calibration for Samsung calman.

what is the correct chain of products to the screen I’m calibrating. When I have done my previous calman calibration on Sony calman home it was - pc to raspberry pi with pattern generator - then from pattern generator back to pc and then hdmi out to tv screen.
Was this even the correct setup?

for hdr calibration on a Samsung calman home what would be the correct chain to tv to do calibrations?

would the setup to do hdr with hd fury be the same except when we go from pc hdmi out we input he fury in before connecting to the tv?

thanks in advance for a reply.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
what is the correct chain of products to the screen I’m calibrating.
For SDR it is network connection from PC to RPi, and HDMI connection from RPi to TV. For HDR it is network connection from PC to RPi, HDMI connection from RPi to HD Fury, and HDMI connection from HD Fury to TV. You don't use the PC's HDMI output in either case.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
what is the correct chain of products to the screen I’m calibrating.
Also, set the Q90T's HDMI Black Level setting to Low on whichever HDMI port you are using on it. In CalMAN, leave Luminance Levels at the default of Video (16-235).

·
Registered
43 Posts
For SDR it is network connection from PC to RPi, and HDMI connection from RPi to TV. For HDR it is network connection from PC to RPi, HDMI connection from RPi to HD Fury, and HDMI connection from HD Fury to TV. You don't use the PC's HDMI output in either case.

H
Also, set the Q90T's HDMI Black Level setting to Low on whichever HDMI port you are using on it. In CalMAN, leave Luminance Levels at the default of Video (16-235).
When you say black level do you mean Local Dimming Zone? I dont see black level options. But on Local dimming zones I see Low as an option to choose.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, HDMI Black Level. On the Q90R it is under Settings->General->External Device Manager.
Got it.
Should I leave all TV settings alone except for that setting? Black levels to low only. Do not do anything to local dimming etc.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Got it.
Should I leave all TV settings alone except for that setting? Black levels to low only. Do not do anything to local dimming etc.
If you're going to use the Autocal workflow, it should change the other TV settings the way it wants them when you get to the Full DDC Reset step.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So...

Doing the HDR part with HDFury.
everytime I do the initial read session my grey patterns are pink in the window. and back ground is green.
I think its my HDfury setup. any advice on getting that all figured out?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Doing the HDR part with HDFury.
everytime I do the initial read session my grey patterns are pink in the window. and back ground is green.
I think its my HDfury setup. any advice on getting that all figured out?
Are you getting OK patterns for SDR reads without the HD Fury? Are you following the HD Fury directions in that post of the PGenerator thread? Which HDR InfoFrame and AVI InfoFrame are you using?

581 - 600 of 650 Posts