AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 1457 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Thanks, and please tell me exactly what/where the 2 point settings are? There is the Advanced basic which is 1 point and there is the 10/20 multipoint? And what stimulus are the 2 points?

bob
It's your TV, and it's up to you to know what controls are available to you, to be honest.
Generally , 2-point stimuli are suggested, not cast in stone. You'll see 20/80, 20/90, 30/80, etc recommended. Each set is different. Your best course is to run a 10 point grayscale, adjust at 20 and 80 or 30 and 80, measure 10 points again, and so on. You want to know what the changes you are making have done to the entire grayscale range. You'll eventually find a set of stimuli that works best for you.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
It's your TV, and it's up to you to know what controls are available to you, to be honest.
Generally , 2-point stimuli are suggested, not cast in stone. You'll see 20/80, 20/90, 30/80, etc recommended. Each set is different. Your best course is to run a 10 point grayscale, adjust at 20 and 80 or 30 and 80, measure 10 points again, and so on. You want to know what the changes you are making have done to the entire grayscale range. You'll eventually find a set of stimuli that works best for you.
Thank you, but the difference between the Advanced basic and multipoint is still not clear to me. I have never seen this on my other sets, 9G Kuro and LG C9. If there was only multipoint (10/20), then it would be obvious to do a 2 point( 20/80 30/90) or a full grayscale, but it's the Basic vs multipoint that is confusing and not like any other TV that I have done.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Thank you, but the difference between the Advanced basic and multipoint is still not clear to me. I have never seen this on my other sets, 9G Kuro and LG C9. If there was only multipoint (10/20), then it would be obvious to do a 2 point( 20/80 30/90) or a full grayscale, but it's the Basic vs multipoint that is confusing and not like any other TV that I have done.
You are confusing yourself because you think Sony’s labeling scheme should be like other manufactures. It does not have to be and it isn’t.

Under the Adv. Color Adjustment menu, the Basic controls are the 2 point controls.... R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain, R-Bias, G-Bias, B-Bias controls are clearly labeled. As with LG OLEDs, the RGB Bias controls should be left alone. The RGB Gain controls should only be used with 100% stimuli. On LG OLEDs, the 2 point High controls— which are exactly like the RGB Gain controls on the Sonys— should only be used with 100% stimuli or 109% stimuli.

Kuros are not OLEDs and their 2 point High controls can be used with 80-90% stimuli patterns and 2 point Low controls with 20-30% stimuli.

Incredibly simplistic.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just wanted to come back in here thank D Nice again for his suggestions, tips, recommendations for mine, and all the Sony TVs. I've swayed quite a bit from those recommendations, and I've always come back to his settings and recs. And it really is spot on. I would still be stuck with manual calibration if it wasn't for his suggestion as well. I can't tell you how much of a help that really was for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you still run contrast @ 100 when doing Basic 100% stimuli, as suggested for multipoint??

thx
Can you explain this to me please?
with multipoint you mean grayscale 10p/20p? For setting this up correct I should set contrast to 100? What is with 100% white?
I've never done that on any pana plasma or oled

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Can you explain this to me please?
with multipoint you mean grayscale 10p/20p? For setting this up correct I should set contrast to 100? What is with 100% white?
I've never done that on any pana plasma or oled
I hear ya. D-Nice says it's no different than any other set except how Sony labels it's controls. I agree on the 100% white. I always used 80% for the gain and the 100 contrast is to to shift the non-standard Sony stimulus points.

Attachments

1401 - 1420 of 1457 Posts