AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1457 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok - so max luma ist set before with 100% white - e.g. to 120nits. Then set contrast to 100 for the grayscale calibration, because the points in the Sony 10p/20p do not fit to the e.g. Teds Pattern with 5%,10%,15% white etc.
Sony p1 = 4,6 is not 5% white from the pattern and so on? Ok thx that helps to understand the (not) effect of the 10p/20p on the pattern from Ted.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
ok - so max luma ist set before with 100% white - e.g. to 120nits. Than set contrast to 100 for the grayscale calibration, because the points in the Sony 10p/20p do not fit to the e.g. Teds Pattern with 5%,10%,15% white etc.
Sony p1 = 4,6 is not 5% white from the pattern and so on? Ok thx that helps to understand the (not) effect of the 10p/20p on the pattern from Ted.
Pretty much as far as I know

:)

·
Registered
7,361 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hope you guys can help. Alright I just bought the x-rite Idisplay and calman sony. I will use the mobileforge on firestick for pattern generator
I have a few questions.

I have a x950H Sony 85"

What would be my initial session setup be - What screen type would I choose for x950h LCD??? and What should I choose for colorspace, gamma formula?

Another question not on setup question but a dolby vision calibration question.
Can I calibrate dolby vision with calman sony? Thanks looking forward to hear from you. I will probably have a ton more questions.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hope you guys can help. Alright I just bought the x-rite Idisplay and calman sony. I will use the mobileforge on firestick for pattern generator
I have a few questions.

I have a x950H Sony 85"

What would be my initial session setup be - What screen type would I choose for x950h LCD??? and What should I choose for colorspace, gamma formula?

Another question not on setup question but a dolby vision calibration question.
Can I calibrate dolby vision with calman sony? Thanks looking forward to hear from you. I will probably have a ton more questions.
I used the mobileforge on firestick (prior to now using the RPi 3b+ with PGenerator). I had the settings on Auto, and tried manual, and came with same results. I don't think it matters because the pattern generator will automatically pull the correct ones when on Auto.

With Sony TV's, you only calibrate in SDR mode. From there, it's all internal math where the Sony TV maps it to the DV and HDR10 modes...assuming you transfer over your same CMS settings to DV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice!

@pbz06
Are you saying Calman Sony will already have these items circled in red picked out for me specifically for SONY (See circles in red)? You may already answered this question..

Im totally brand new to all of this. I just want to get it dialed in.

What to pick below Find meter - (See circle in red) Change to what type of screen?
Colorspace - rec.709/sRGB - Keep or change for X950H?
Gamma Formula - Keep or change fro X950H? 2.2?

Thanks again in advance for responding. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Nice!

@pbz06
Are you saying Calman Sony will already have these items circled in red picked out for me specifically for SONY (See circles in red)? You may already answered this question..

Im totally brand new to all of this. I just want to get it dialed in.

What to pick below Find meter - (See circle in red) Change to what type of screen?
Colorspace - rec.709/sRGB - Keep or change for X950H?
Gamma Formula - Keep or change fro X950H? 2.2?

Thanks again in advance for responding. I really appreciate it.

View attachment 3068226
The setup menu you attached, your meter would be recognized but it is recommended to select Raw XYZ if it's not a calibrated meter.

The circled items in #3, are correct. Those are the default Sony settings from their template.

I was referring to the firestick settings for video output, can stay on Auto. What I was getting at is that the Autocal portion of Calman would draw the appropriate patterns it needs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The setup menu you attached, your meter would be recognized but it is recommended to select Raw XYZ if it's not a calibrated meter.

The circled items in #3, are correct. Those are the default Sony settings from their template.

I was referring to the firestick settings for video output, can stay on Auto. What I was getting at is that the Autocal portion of Calman would draw the appropriate patterns it needs.
Would you know if xrite idisplay pro is a calibrated meter?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Would you know if xrite idisplay pro is a calibrated meter?
What @pbz06 is referring to is actually a profiled meter. This is when the meter you're using has been profiled to read like a reference meter (normally one more expensive and more accurate) on your display. Your display pro is not profiled, as that is something a user needs to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can I run my firestick pattern generator through hdmi through my audio video receiver?
Or should I run my firestick pattern generator through hdmi directly into tv?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What @pbz06 is referring to is actually a profiled meter. This is when the meter you're using has been profiled to read like a reference meter (normally one more expensive and more accurate) on your display. Your display pro is not profiled, as that is something a user needs to do.
I guess it wont work with firestick. Is there a pattern generator in Calman Sony? I read something but not sure I haven't even started up the program.

What would be the best alternative as a TPG. My setup is
iDisplay colormeter -
(Fill in the blank) - TPG
Sony Calman.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I guess it wont work with firestick. Is there a pattern generator in Calman Sony? I read something but not sure I haven't even started up the program.

iDisplay colormeter -
Sony Calman.
Have you seen these guides? I suggest reading through them..lots of info.

_Calibrating Sony Bravia Master Series with CalMAN.pdf

_CalMAN Home for Sony Walkthrough.pdf

X-Rite i1Display QuickStart.pdf

And these are my settings for setup (the striked ones are because I now use PGenerator with RPi):
Setup Notes.docx

·
Registered
450 Posts

iDisplay colormeter -
Sony Calman.
Listen to Rolls Royce. I would go with the RPiGenerator. It practically pays for itself and you can have the confidence of knowing that it is bit perfect. It's also very simple to set up and get it running as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
May I ask why I feel it is too warm after calibration ? It seems the default "warm" color is more better for me. Is it take times to get used to D65 white balance ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
What TV do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have sony 85z9g calibrated with calman for sony. I just reset the calibrated "expert 1" color to default and it is even better than "warm". I know this is not the accurate color, but I like it because it is brighter and more comfortable to watch with. Is anybody feeling the same ?

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
I have sony 85z9g calibrated with calman for sony. I just reset the calibrated "expert 1" color to default and it is even better than "warm". I know this is not the accurate color, but I like it because it is brighter and more comfortable to watch with. Is anybody feeling the same ?
No, but default on that TV is not D65 AFAIK. Likely about 7K with the AWP.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

1421 - 1440 of 1457 Posts