AVS Forum banner

1441 - 1457 of 1457 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is there a tutorial for this? how to check performance on a calibrated tv.

I see the website but what do I do with the website?

Do I download the free stuff or buy something. Need a little hand holding because all this is brand new to me.

Also do the post graphs at the end of calman need to look a certain way in comparison to the pre calibrated measurements.
Will sharing my pics here of my pre/post calibrated calman color graph help you guys determine if the calibration was done right?

I do see a difference with my calibrated tv. but not sure if Im getting the best out the calman, settings etc.
Getting this far to not be sure if its done correctly will be a waste imo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another question. After doing calibrations It seems likes my x950h is brighter and more sharp when my lights is on.
I did my calibrations with the room lights on the highest brightest setting.

But when the room light brightness is lowered or ambient light coming in the room from outside daylight
with the same settings on it seems the tv has more dimmed, darker colors and doesn't seem as bright.

Does that happen often? is it because when its lowered lights or ambient light from outside I should set a calibration to dark room setting?
Should I do a different calibration it a dark room to see if any improvement help?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
It sounds as though your TV has a setting for auto brightness based on room lighting that you haven't turned off yet, or has one that can't be turned off. Take a look through your user manual.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi, may I ask when I calibrate using autocal of Calman for Sony, should I enable "auto local dimming" and "X-Tended Dynamic Range" from TV for calibration ? If not, if I enable those function after calibration when I am watching movie, will it effect the calibration result ?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
You normally turn off "enhancements" while calibrating, because they can skew the results. Turning them back on afterwards, although they do affect the calibration somewhat, is YOUR call.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What display setting would you choose for X950H ? lcd or lcd rgb or etc?
You normally turn off "enhancements" while calibrating, because they can skew the results. Turning them back on afterwards, although they do affect the calibration somewhat, is YOUR call.
Would you turn local dimming back on after calibrating? and all the other enhancements

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
As I said, it's your choice. For my own displays, I did NOT turn on the automatic brightness after calibrating. It does funky things to gray scale and gamma. With local dimming, it's on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
What display setting would you choose for X950H ? lcd or lcd rgb or etc?

Would you turn local dimming back on after calibrating? and all the other enhancements
Yes, turn on local dimming after calibration (during calibration, check the Sony manual I posted a few pages back), I have OLED so it wasn't applicable to me.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The other day I popped in the S&M UHD disc to validate my calibration (Autocal on A9G). I used a RPi 3b+ with PGenerator as my source so I know it was accurate.

The default Black Level is set to 50, and that's what I used during calibration. However, the SDR test pattern showed me that 49 is correct (1 notch down) for my TV.

Question: do I need to redo the calibration with black level at 49? Or just make that simple adjustment post calibration is gold enough?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have what I think to be a good cal on my A9G. Worst case delta color is 2 but average 0.8. However, when I go into HDR verification I get several color errors above 8!

I am making sure that the TV is in HDR10 mode at that I am in the BT2020 color space. Choosing the Gamma 2.2 EOTF curve reduces the errors to these high levels (they are worse for the default). I also read this: http://sonyglobal.akamaized.net/is/...brating.MASTER.Series.with.CalMAN-updated.pdf but didn't find any answers.

Does some stuff looked pushed in HDR10? Jacob and Schwarz stuff looks spectacular as usual... From a YouTube HDR10 color clipping video, there seems to be a perhaps some red clipping. Otherwise, I can see flashing boxes in the other colors all the way up.

I use a Firestick 4K with MobileForge, the latest Calman Home software, and x1 Display Pro retail (latest drivers). I use a D-Nice 0.309,0.3291 white point.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, i've a question about lightspace connect, android TV and calman for sony 2020:
I've purchased the lightspace app and I am able to connect calman to the app, but i have to set calman to PC level (0-255) for correct measurements. But then I am not able to select the 20p autocal workflow for sony? When I set to video level (16-235) the workflow is available. But then the measurments are not correct. e.g. I've set 100% white to 120nits with Ted's pattern. With lightspace and video level it shows only 100nits?! With PC level 120nits. Black pattern is also grey.
The app runs on a shield TV from 2017 set to 1080p RGB 8 bit, hdmi level low for calibration. TV is a A8 from 2020.
What could be the mistake?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I'm thinking you have a levels mismatch. And the Shield probably isn't helping. You may want to review the "Cheap Pattern Generators Accuracy" thread here for info about it. Many common media players people try to use for pattern generation aren't accurate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We will create a guide for this and post it to our resource center early next week.

I will also post the link here.
Could you help me by pointing to a full step-by-step guide for calibrating 65X950H TV model from 2020?
I have X-Rite i1Display Pro. I suppose I can use the free MobileForge app for pattern generation. If I would know exactly how to do the calibration with CalMan for Sony software, then I would buy it right away to run the calibration.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I managed to get my hands on an inexpensive Video Forge Classic TPG and want to calibrate my two Sony sets (an A9G and an 850c) with it. I want to feed my displays YCbCr patterns for SDR calibration but don't know whether I should choose 422 8 bit, 444 8 bit, 444 10 bit, or 444 12 bit. Would appreciate any thoughts here.

Also, as I understand it, to align to Sony's multi-point grayscale controls I have to set Contrast to Max before adjusting grayscale and then return it to 90 prior to running CMS adjustments. I am assuming this means I have to set it to Max prior to running the 2-point grayscale adjustments, right?

Lastly, when doing 2-point adjustments prior to a 10-point manual GS calibration (or 20-point autocal), what do people choose for the 2 point values - 30, 80%; 30, 100%; 20, 80%; or 20, 100%?

1441 - 1457 of 1457 Posts