AVS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1528 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Thank you. Is there a way to verify hdr readings without buying an fury hd?
I trust Sony's math. Since I'm a novice, I just follow up with the Spears & Munsil UHD disc and the Masciola HDR10 (Diversified Video Solutions) and check out the patterns and demo material.

Reactions: timmyp53

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
No you need some way to enable HDR.
Do you know why Sony uses an alternate white point at the factory but then their calibration guide defaults to the standard D65? I always was confused by that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@WiFi-Spy

Please I need your help on this. I have a Calman Studio which I purchased in 2019 and used for autocal (10 pt only) on my Sony 900F. However when I tried to use autocal again yesterday Calman stops responding and times out without making any changes to the DDC. Restarting Calman and the display several times did not resolve the issue. Both my meter (i1 Display Pro) and Sony Calman for Bravia app were properly connected as reported in the application.

I have not upgraded the Calman Studio license since 2019, but my understanding is that the existing functionality should continue to work as at when purchased.

Would I need to upgrade my license in 2021 to get autocal to continue working? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Do you know why Sony uses an alternate white point at the factory but then their calibration guide defaults to the standard D65? I always was confused by that.
Only the Sony Master Series sets use their white point. The rest are set to D65. Their claim is the WP they are using matches the Sony X300 reference monitor more closely and that they are taking extra time to make the set more accurate from the factory. This is somewhat true but there is a lot of debate on this subject. From experience if you scan a Master Series TV using their WP it will usually be very accurate from the factory. All you need to be concerned about is that this is the way the Master Series TVs come from the factory. My guess is they don't have a special user guide for the Master Series.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Only the Sony Master Series sets use their white point. The rest are set to D65. Their claim is the WP they are using matches the Sony X300 reference monitor more closely and that they are taking extra time to make the set more accurate from the factory. This is somewhat true but there is a lot of debate on this subject. From experience if you scan a Master Series TV using their WP it will usually be very accurate from the factory. All you need to be concerned about is that this is the way the Master Series TVs come from the factory. My guess is they don't have a special user guide for the Master Series.
John,

You obviously come across more TVs but I don’t think it’s limited to the Master Series. Another owner and I both measured our X950H and got the Sony white point at default settings.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
@WiFi-Spy

Please I need your help on this. I have a Calman Studio which I purchased in 2019 and used for autocal (10 pt only) on my Sony 900F. However when I tried to use autocal again yesterday Calman stops responding and times out without making any changes to the DDC. Restarting Calman and the display several times did not resolve the issue. Both my meter (i1 Display Pro) and Sony Calman for Bravia app were properly connected as reported in the application.

I have not upgraded the Calman Studio license since 2019, but my understanding is that the existing functionality should continue to work as at when purchased.

Would I need to upgrade my license in 2021 to get autocal to continue working? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Could be a networking issue. You might want to try wired ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
John,

You obviously come across more TVs but I don’t think it’s limited to the Master Series. Another owner and I both measured our X950H and got the Sony white point at default settings.
Yep it's always good practice to check set before you make any adjustments.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Ah that makes sense. I guess when calibrating a Master Series, better off using the AWP rather than standard D65..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dnice a90j AWP is almost dead on the Sony White point using spectro....

Sony's - x:0.3133, y:3302

D-nice AWP - x0.3111 y0.3367

PowerPoint Presentation (akamaized.net)

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Ah that makes sense. I guess when calibrating a Master Series, better off using the AWP rather than standard D65..
Maybe on an oled bit not the LCDs... IMO

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Dnice a90j AWP is almost dead on the Sony White point using spectro....

Sony's - x:0.3133, y:3302

D-nice AWP - x0.3111 y0.3367

PowerPoint Presentation (akamaized.net)
I believe D-Nice’s AWP is using CIE1931 meter.

The Sony x:0.3133, y:3302 is using CIE170:
If you are calibrating to restore BRAVIA’s factory calibration, the best option would be to get a meter/probe calibrated for CIE170-2:2015 (e.g. Konica Minolta CA-410’s CA-P427C and CA-P410C) and use x:0.3133, y:3302 for the target white point.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Calman 2021 RC1 is now available for download on portrait.com
Tyler, is the 2021 WOLED C6 EDR good for the Sony A90J and LG G1.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tried to do a autocal on my 65A90J with the lastest calman for Sony release I just bought..

Pre-cal measurements works just fine, results btw with the d-nice settings are great, everything 3 or less.

But when I get to the sony workflow step after connecting to my tv with the calman for bravia app to set luminance no more patterns appear anymore on the tv and the connection to my raspbery pgenerator stays green and shows no activities.

Also DCC reset has no effect.
I tried also a old version bnut that also doesn't work, so this new release of calman for Sony is not compatible with the Sony 65A90J??

Money wasted then...

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Tried to do a autocal on my 65A90J with the lastest calman for Sony release I just bought..

Pre-cal measurements works just fine, results btw with the d-nice settings are great, everything 3 or less.

But when I get to the sony workflow step after connecting to my tv with the calman for bravia app to set luminance no more patterns appear anymore on the tv and the connection to my raspbery pgenerator stays green and shows no activities.

Also DCC reset has no effect.
I tried also a old version bnut that also doesn't work, so this new release of calman for Sony is not compatible with the Sony 65A90J??

Money wasted then...
You have to make sure in the Calman for Bravia app, you select the HDMI port that your generator is connected to. It is an easy step to miss.

Tyler

1501 - 1520 of 1528 Posts