AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the CalMAN HTPC Software Pattern Generator be used with ColorHCFR?

The official site download page states:

"Our free HTPC Software Pattern Generator gives you an automatable experience through CalMAN, but will also work well with any other calibration software. Use your HTPC to run multiple tests with a single push of the button."

Is it possible to use it with ColorHCFR in an automated way or would I need to switch from one pattern to another like when using "DVD Manual" (in ColorHCFR)?

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The HCFR Generator mentions something about a infared lamp to mimic the remote (which might work on my xbox 360 but definitely not with the bluetooth of my PS3). Do you know how the HCFR Generator is supposed to work in a semi-automatic fashion?

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/17009613

The HCFR Generator mentions something about a infared lamp to mimic the remote (which might work on my xbox 360 but definitely not with the bluetooth of my PS3). Do you know how the HCFR Generator is supposed to work in a semi-automatic fashion?

Maybe this is referring to an infrared UIRT (Universal Infrared Receiver/Transmitter). There's a Web site you can go to for a bit more info on this.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The HCFR DIY Probe has provisions in its hardware and firmware design to have an IR blaster to automatically control whatever player (DVD,BD) you're using to generate the patterns... I wouldn't know how to break that functionality out separately...

Alternatively, HCFR has it's own pattern generator built in. It can either run in automatic mode, or semi-, or manual mode, as I think of them, in all cases for "generator" select "view images" then...

auto: for taking a full set of grayscales, or primaries, etc... when you ask HCFR to take a series of measurements, it will automatically display the pattern it wants when it wants it.

semi: view->test colors brings up a color picker. pick the color you want to measure. then select "unique free measure" HCFR will display the pattern, take the measurement, and return previous screen when done.

manual: after selecting the color as above, select "continuous measures" HCFR will display the pattern, and continuously take measurements until you tell it to stop...

then there's the series of visual patterns under the advanced menu...

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, I just tested the auto functionality with the simulated sensor and it worked great. This will allow me to get the window size exactly what I want it to be and make the whole measurement process much easier.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/17012662

Thanks for the info, I just tested the auto functionality with the simulated sensor and it worked great. This will allow me to get the window size exactly what I want it to be and make the whole measurement process much easier.

Let us know how you get on...

And be careful to set that generator up correctly: there are settings to use IRE levels vs % stim, and in the advanced menu you can change the references for different standards and different gamma targets, as well as different ways of calculating the gamma reference...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/17015124

I've been curious about this. Is there a way to drive this from a PC or laptop through an HDMI cable to one of the HDMI inputs on a display?

Sure... all u need is a pc or laptop with hdmi (or dvi) output... but be careful, as plasma found out, the video card driver has settings which affect the output, so unless someone can tell us how to bypass that, or you can read the values, you don't know that what the display is getting is the proper pattern. Not a concern, so much, if ur using said computer as your source, as your goal is to cal the playback chain, but if you're not, you'd be better off sourcing the patterns from the source you'll be using...

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found that if your display is already calibrated using a calibration DVD playing back from your Blu-ray or DVD player you can then simply run the automated calibration software that comes with the i1 meter (Eye-One Match 3) to calibrate the incoming PC signal from your laptop (from the HDMI out in my case). Since there was no plasma option in this software, I chose CRT and skipped all the manual adjustment sections. In the end, grayscale was pretty good, color gamut was pretty good except for green, and gamma was much more linear than it is when using my Blu-ray player.

However, I cannot recommend using this approach for calibrating your DVD or Blu-ray player since the incoming PC signal is not truly a reference signal in most cases. If there is a way to output a true reference signal regardless of PC video settings (including ICC profiles created by Eye-One Match 3), then I would recommend this approach for simple reasons of automation and control over window size (%).

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/17016963

Sure... all u need is a pc or laptop with hdmi (or dvi) output... but be careful, as plasma found out, the video card driver has settings which affect the output, so unless someone can tell us how to bypass that, or you can read the values, you don't know that what the display is getting is the proper pattern. Not a concern, so much, if ur using said computer as your source, as your goal is to cal the playback chain, but if you're not, you'd be better off sourcing the patterns from the source you'll be using...

Yeah, that's what I figured would be the problem, assuming there was a way to do it. Somebody should make an HDMI out device that does nothing at all to change the drive signal before sending it out.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/17021728

Yeah, that's what I figured would be the problem, assuming there was a way to do it. Somebody should make an HDMI out device that does nothing at all to change the drive signal before sending it out.

Really doesn't have to be a new device per se, as my understanding goes, it could be done with a radio button in the driver marked "pass signal untouched" or whatever's appropriate...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/17022582

To your knowledge does anyone make an HDMI compatible device with that kind of driver support?

No, but I don't claim to be anywhere near up to date on my knowledge of computer hardware...

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/17022582

To your knowledge does anyone make an HDMI compatible device with that kind of driver support?

While poking around in my laptop (HP dv7) I discovered that the NVIDIA video card can be set to send 1080p signals out through the HDMI port. Threre are also adjustments for the type signal being sent, e.g., RGB vs. 4:2:2.

Although I'm not 100% certain that the signal would be exactly the same as what's sent through a dedicated hardware pattern generator, the capability seems to exist if you have the right video card in a computer.

The only problem is that if I used the CalMAN HTPC Software Pattern Generator, I've got use a different computer to run CalMAN - it doesn't work using just one computer.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerianne /forum/post/17031412

While poking around in my laptop (HP dv7) I discovered that the NVIDIA video card can be set to send 1080p signals out through the HDMI port. Threre are also adjustments for the type signal being sent, e.g., RGB vs. 4:2:2.

Although I'm not 100% certain that the signal would be exactly the same as what's sent through a dedicated hardware pattern generator, the capability seems to exist if you have the right video card in a computer.

The only problem is that if I used the CalMAN HTPC Software Pattern Generator, I've got use a different computer to run CalMAN - it doesn't work using just one computer.

Unfortunately with nVidia cardsat least the 9400 in my HTPCthere's no way to manually set output video levels. There's an adjustment that affects the video files themselves, but not one for the global output.

It automatically sends 0-255 if it thinks it's a PC source hooked up, and 16-235 if it thinks it's an HDTV hooked up.

This is a big annoyance, as it's sending 0-255 to my projector, but my Octava Switcher is causing my projector to see that as video levels. The projector also sets this up automatically with no manual override, so I get a lot of shadow/highlight clipping.

I can restore this by raising brightness and lowering contrast, but it's actually better to leave it set for video levels and output 16-235 from the player. It means the desktop is clipped, but adjusting brightness/contrast that much introduces posterisation/banding that isn't there if I do it this way.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/17034807

Unfortunately with nVidia cardsat least the 9400 in my HTPCthere's no way to manually set output video levels. There's an adjustment that affects the video files themselves, but not one for the global output.

It automatically sends 0-255 if it thinks it's a PC source hooked up, and 16-235 if it thinks it's an HDTV hooked up.

This is a big annoyance, as it's sending 0-255 to my projector, but my Octava Switcher is causing my projector to see that as video levels. The projector also sets this up automatically with no manual override, so I get a lot of shadow/highlight clipping.

I can restore this by raising brightness and lowering contrast, but it's actually better to leave it set for video levels and output 16-235 from the player. It means the desktop is clipped, but adjusting brightness/contrast that much introduces posterisation/banding that isn't there if I do it this way.

What is your switcher doing?

I'm pretty familiar with nvidia going to displays.

nvidia has 3 configurations that make some sense.

DVI out - NV control panel on limited range:

desktop is at 0, video is at 16, BTB and WTW is passed

DVI out - NV control panel on full range:

desktop is at 0, video is at 0, BTB and WTW are clipped

HDMI out - NV control panel on full range:

desktop is at 16, video is at 16, BTB and WTW are clipped

The one caveat is that in HDMI mode it seems there is a bug where Blu-Ray is output at 0 with the full range setting.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/17035664

What is your switcher doing?

I'm pretty familiar with nvidia going to displays.

It does HDMI 4 in 2 out, and HDMI LPCM decoding to analogue audio.

It seems to affect EDID though, and whatever it does is having my PC output PC levels but the box is reporting it as being video levels to the projector. (I'm going to see about returning it, because it has caused all other sorts of problems as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/17035664

nvidia has 3 configurations that make some sense.

DVI out - NV control panel on limited range:

desktop is at 0, video is at 16, BTB and WTW is passed

DVI out - NV control panel on full range:

desktop is at 0, video is at 0, BTB and WTW are clipped

HDMI out - NV control panel on full range:

desktop is at 16, video is at 16, BTB and WTW are clipped

The one caveat is that in HDMI mode it seems there is a bug where Blu-Ray is output at 0 with the full range setting.

The only options I get in the control panel are for video overlays, and not what the card itself is outputting.

Over HDMI at least, whether it outputs 16-235 or 0-255 seems to be dependant on whether or not it thinks it's connected to a monitor or a television. (and I don't know what it uses to determine that)

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/17036438

It does HDMI 4 in 2 out, and HDMI LPCM decoding to analogue audio.

It seems to affect EDID though, and whatever it does is having my PC output PC levels but the box is reporting it as being video levels to the projector. (I'm going to see about returning it, because it has caused all other sorts of problems as well)

The only options I get in the control panel are for video overlays, and not what the card itself is outputting.

Over HDMI at least, whether it outputs 16-235 or 0-255 seems to be dependant on whether or not it thinks it's connected to a monitor or a television. (and I don't know what it uses to determine that)

Weather or not it handshakes for audio. If the HDMI device accepts audio, it goes into HDMI mode.

If you want to garuntee PC levels then you can hack your registry.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...ic=58483&st=80

The settings for color under video effect more than just overlay, they effect all the VMR and EVR players as well. But your right there isn't a good setting for changing colorspace, for the life of me I don't know why.

Basically there should be two choices for setting up your Display:

PC Display:

desktop 0-255, video expanded to 0-255

CE Display:

desktop 16-235, video from 16-235 w/ BTB 0-16 and WTW 235+ being passed.

Conceptually it's not that hard and they just need one little radio button to make everything work perfectly, too bad they can't execute.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.