AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received CalMan with the enhanced Spyder3 from SpectraCal. I've been playing with calibrating my 52" Samsung B750 LCD. I've got the RGB tracking ok, but in order to do so I had to jack the red gain to within one point of being maxed out. This concerns me, but I'm not sure how to verify whether it's correct or not. When I display the AVS pattern to set contrast, I can clearly see the grey flashing bars are now tinted red. However, when I watch a blu-ray, it doesn't look overly red to me. Am I doing something wrong or could my Spyder3 be defective?

Sorry if I haven't given enough information... obviously I'm a newb at this stuff.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The pro calibrator method is to reduce on the gains ... and never increase. Increase = pumping up the contrast.

regards

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank /forum/post/16975581

I just received CalMan with the enhanced Spyder3 from SpectraCal. I've been playing with calibrating my 52" Samsung B750 LCD. I've got the RGB tracking ok, but in order to do so I had to jack the red gain to within one point of being maxed out. This concerns me, but I'm not sure how to verify whether it's correct or not. When I display the AVS pattern to set contrast, I can clearly see the grey flashing bars are now tinted red. However, when I watch a blu-ray, it doesn't look overly red to me. Am I doing something wrong or could my Spyder3 be defective?

Sorry if I haven't given enough information... obviously I'm a newb at this stuff.

It is doubtful your Enhanced S3 is defective. Our process for handling the S3 is done at three levels. The initial QA in which we sort the incoming batch for defective and out of spec by testing the raw S3 on our reference systems. Second is the calibration process in which we run the S3 on 3 reference displays to build the calibration tables from. Finally each of the calibration tables are examined for out of spec tolerance before they are placed on our web server for download.

It is not uncommon for a control to be pushed to its maximum or minimum on a display. In your example of pushing red to near its maximum says your display start with a grayscale that is very blue and a CCT well above 6500k probably more like 9500+. Did you try all of the color temperature options within your display to find the one closet to 6500 first?

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank /forum/post/16975581

Following up with what Derek said, Samsung's default color temperature for its LCDs used to be 12000K, and you will need a LOT of red to pull that back to D65. Even the warmest of color temperature options you have might not be much below 9300K. Definitely check out which color temperature option you should use before doing the grayscale, it can dramatically affect how much correction you need to apply.

Also note: if you start out adjusted to 12000K, a 6500K white will definitely look pinkish-red until your eye adjusts -- like by watching some real content. In other words, I suspect that it is not the meter but some combination of the TV and what you've been used to seeing.

Bill

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. All very good information. I didn't know I should be decreasing the gains to get the tracking correctly. I'll change that. I'll also make sure to use the correct color temperature. I did measure them but ended up using "warm 2" since all the calibration reviews of this tv said it was closest to D65. I measured "warm 3" as the closest but didn't trust my measurements like I should have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts