AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dreamt of 25 years ago at least. Nearing UPDATE: FOUND my Nirvana. :eek: I thought I'd post a couple of photos. Direct view by day; projection capable at night. I've left some room lighting up unusually high so that the projected image isn't floating in black in the photos. For non-critical watching via projection (sports events, etc), this is the lighting. For critical viewing of movies, it's goes pretty much bat cave mode. Strong WAF. :)

120" wide Seymour XD 'scope screen with custom faux finished case.
UPDATE: JVC Pro RS-640
Oppo BDP-103 (2K and streaming for TV and Projector) and Samsung 9500 (UHD disc and streaming for projector). Celerity 50' optical cable to projector.
Lumagen 2020 for 2K 3D LUT calibration of both projector and LG display.
Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA Gen3 3ch amp, Onkyo PA-MC5500 for surrounds. Audyssey Calibration via MEQ Editor App and Omnimic to emulate the Harman/Synthesis target curve. ADDED image of Left Main HTM-12 spectral response with subs, post-calibration, 1/6th octave resolution.
HTM-12 L/R mains, DIYSG 88 Special Center, four subs (1800 watts total): All concealed.
Volt-10LX surrounds with custom faux finish, six (two for each side wall, two for back wall).
Seating: Primary row is Premiere HTS four-seat sofa, flanking love seat, opposing flanking recliner; all motorized reclining seats. Second row is 24" tall director's chairs added when required.
Pooch optional. :rolleyes: He evacuates at the first explosion. :D
UPDATE: New pooch in the house! Just a pup, but learning the ways of the AV Force. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great room. Looks comfy, excellent WAF. And love the pooch!

Thank you. Yours has a very elegant finish. It looks like a good AV showroom should/used to look; homey yet capable. Now, that's a big pooch! :eek: :)

That is a cool looking room. Love the decor and the equipment. Glad your dream turned out so great :)
Thank you. Love that interwoven area of fun places you have. Games, bar,....and incredible speaker array! B.A.!! If I had the room for them, I'd be with you.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The room looks great! I love that style of home, I'm originally from Texas and I miss it!!!

Cool set up from what you can see, can you post the rest?

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The room looks great! I love that style of home, I'm originally from Texas and I miss it!!!

Cool set up from what you can see, can you post the rest?
Thank you, kindly. What else would you like to see? I can provide the opposite view, but it's a big open floor plan opening into the kitchen. The projector is about 17' from the screen. The ceiling where it is mounted drops down to 10' (for the kitchen) from 12.5' where you can see a glimpse of the beam and tongue and grove ceiling. Room dimensions are hard to define because of the open character. Roughly 32' long, 26' wide for part of the length, then opening up to maybe 35' wide. Volume is most of the house. :D ...cannot be calculated. The primary row is about 15' from the screen. Throw distances for the surrounds range from 12.5' to 17'. You can see why the four subs are needed, and plenty of speaker sensitivity.

Next time we have a screening night, I'll take a photo looking back at the environment.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Thank you, kindly. What else would you like to see?

Next time we have a screening night, I'll take a photo looking back at the environment.

How 'bout a shot of your gear?

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How 'bout a shot of your gear?
I can't imagine any of the gear other than the speakers and projector would be much to look at. You can see the list of processors and such; it all sits on shelves in a rack. :eek: I guess I don't have much in the way of photos of the speakers either. The exception would be the Volt surrounds and the projector. Over the weekend, I'll pull the grills that conceal the LCRs and snap a photo.

The Volt in the photos is the right surround. The system is a 7.1 with the four Volts, but I'm planning on adding an additional on each side wall somewhat like in the cinema. I'm not planning on an Atmos configuration at this time because the 7.1 performance is SO good. We'll see if I stick with that. :rolleyes::)

The four subwoofers are not photo-accessible as they are in the large cavity behind the LG display. There are two JBL PS-1400 subs and two Klipsch KW-120-THX subs back there. It would appear logical that two subs could be placed in the lower portion of the left and right main stack. As luck would have it, just that two feet wider location with the subs creates a horrible, big acoustic null at about 48Hz and almost an octave wide! That cannot be corrected with any EQ. Luckily the more central location in the cavity behind the display is very acoustically friendly (to EQ such as MultEQ Pro or others). It is linear down to just about 25Hz, matching the spec for dubbing stages. I'm not a subsonic junky. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Additional Volt-10LX Surrounds Added

I knew for a long time that this room could benefit from more than one surround speaker on each side wall. I neglected doing this until I found the speaker that would best perform at this...and the Volt-10LX is it. I just got two additional Volt-10LXs up and I gotta tell you, if you have a large room, this addition (just running parallel with the L/R side surrounds) makes an incredibly big improvement in the experience in the room. The illusion of a big cinema space is just amazing! It also makes the front stage of sound much wider, depending on the mix. The L/R mains don't get lost, they just seem bigger and wider. The 88 Special center is still the rock solid anchor.

In early December 2016 I took the two extra Volts out of parallel with the others, and gave them their own amp with gain control. With them just in parallel with the corresponding side surround, they were too loud...which made them compete a bit with the front L/R mains and even the perception of their imaging. I took them down in a rather complicated process whereby each side's summed two speakers were at -75dBc, but with the forward additional surround on each side down to a "proper" level judged solely subjectively. The result is much more appropriately balanced, but still with that big cinema theater sound. I haven't measured, but they are the same at I'm guessing -65dBc or so.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That the tragic part of dogs.....they don't stay with us on our journey the entire way.

It's like losing a family member. My sympathies.

·
Registered
15,306 Posts
Looks wonderful Cam Man! To me nice aesthetics and comfort are necessities, and your space looks like it provides both.

Reactions: shivaji

·
Premium Member
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Congrats! I bet you are excited to get the new front speakers installed.
Thank you. Indeed I have been and here it is. Upgrade to HTM-12 L/R mains complete. Nirvana is now found. The synergy of the three LCRs, Volt-10LX surrounds. the four subs, and Audyssey Pro room correction is just astounding.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts