AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Im thinking about ditching Dish and going with the new Sling service. but, I need local OTA channels. Antenna Web shows I am 17 miles from the towers with 2 reds, 2 blue and 4 violets. 21 channels from 8 stations total out of Portland, OR. I spoke to Channel master and they recommend the CM-4228HD. I have two tv's and one projector that are all connected through my network panel. My plan was to install an antenna in my attic and use the coax running from the satellite dish to the network panel. Any problems with this? Also, any suggestions for a signal converter box that allow me to run HDMI into my Pioneer receiver and then to my projector?

Also, I would appreciate any other advice you might have.

Thanks!
Quinn

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Although you're not far away from the transmitters you are severely shadowed by a mountain. I don't trust TV Fool so much under these conditions. I'd try the CM4228 (make sure you can return it) to see if you receive the UHF stations. If you do then you'll need to add a high VHF antenna for the first three stations on your list. The Y10-7-13 is still available from a couple places.

If where you mount the antenna is looking through a forest then it's probably hopeless. You need a clear view of the top of the mountain you'll be aiming at.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although you're not far away from the transmitters you are severely shadowed by a mountain. I don't trust TV Fool so much under these conditions. I'd try the CM4228 (make sure you can return it) to see if you receive the UHF stations. If you do then you'll need to add a high VHF antenna for the first three stations on your list. The Y10-7-13 is still available from a couple places.

If where you mount the antenna is looking through a forest then it's probably hopeless. You need a clear view of the top of the mountain you'll be aiming at.
Yeah, unfortunately, I am close to being at the base of a pretty good sized hill. In the Pacific NW its not a mountain unless its 11,000 feet high. ;-) Of course, that hill is an extinct volcanic vent and is part of the Boring Lava Field of northwest Oregon and southwest Washington. Either way, you're probably right. Too bad I just cant get them through Sling. Comcast wants $18 plus $10 per box for locals. Thats $48 and defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, I am close to being at the base of a pretty good sized hill. In the Pacific NW its not a mountain unless its 11,000 feet high. ;-) Of course, that hill is an extinct volcanic vent and is part of the Boring Lava Field of northwest Oregon and southwest Washington. Either way, you're probably right. Too bad I just cant get them through Sling. Comcast wants $18 plus $10 per box for locals. Thats $48 and defeats the purpose.
Where are you at in Camas? I'm on the west side of Prune Hill and fortunately can see the towers. I've got both UHF and VHF antennas in my attic and get everything flawlessly (you could get one antenna that has both but in my case I had a UHF so I just built a VHF to go along with it).

I dumped cable a long time ago and with Frontier FIOS in the area (grandfathered in to a 35/35 plan) we have no need for anything else. We stream everything we need outside of OTA. Then again, we really don't care about sports...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you at in Camas? I'm on the west side of Prune Hill and fortunately can see the towers. I've got both UHF and VHF antennas in my attic and get everything flawlessly (you could get one antenna that has both but in my case I had a UHF so I just built a VHF to go along with it).

I dumped cable a long time ago and with Frontier FIOS in the area (grandfathered in to a 35/35 plan) we have no need for anything else. We stream everything we need outside of OTA. Then again, we really don't care about sports...
Im down near the Lake Chalet restaurant and Lacamas Park (Round Lake) off of Everett, but before you turn right to go to Camas High School. So completely shrouded by Prune Hill. I used to be in Parker Estates and we had Fios there as well. But not down here, New development, but Frontier didnt run lines to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts