AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there using this player? What did you upgrade from and what are/were your impressions?

I am looking to replace a Yam CDC615 and think this would be a good player mated with MG12 and Emo MMC1/IPS1.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drecar /forum/post/12901814

No other users lurking?

Well, I have the 840c so I will give you my impressions...

I am upgrading from the Oppo 980H, which I still use as an SACD/DVD-A player. The 980H has been lauded as a giant killer of sorts, easily outperforming its price class.

Before beginning, I should note that I upgraded my speakers at the same time I got this player, so my all my listening was done with my new speakers (DefTec Mythos St's from the 7006's).

First thing I did was try to A/B both players. All I have is an SPL, so I matched volumes as best as possible and ran them both through my Onkyo 805 in pure audio. I used different inputs and would just switch between inputs on the remote. The results...

Not night and day as I expected (maybe hoped). Actually, it was tough to notice much of a difference initially. So, I settled down for some serious listening in the next few days, and here are my impressions.

Overall soundstage is wider and deeper, while the Oppo presents a pretty good one as well, the 840 beats it in depth, and slightly in width. I think the biggest difference is in the little details. The background instruments, music, sounds, etc., have more detail. It also is very musical, easy to listen to, almost soothing. Not that the Oppo was harsh in any way, but, the Cambridge just "seems" better to me in this regard.

The most important feature for me (the 740 has it too), is the ability to use it as a DAC. I have a Squeezebox and all of my 450+ CD's ripped losslessly to an external hard drive. Before, I had to connect the squeezebox to my AVR and use the AVR's or SB's DAC's. I was sending the signal digitally to my 805 and using its DAC's (which are Burr Brown's I might add). It sounds good but compared to the 840 this is no contest. The 840 is has a much fuller, deeper soundstage. Imaging is much better, and the whole presentation is just much better. And this comparison wasn't made by just me, but others. I set them in the listening spot and let them switch between Stereo (AVR doing the DAC), and Pure Audio (840 doing it), and they always preferred the latter. This difference is more of a night and day difference than directly comparing to the Oppo's DAC.

So for me, that is kicker. Granted, I bought this player mainly for that feature. But being able to listen to my whole library through this players upsampling technology without having to switch CD's is money well spent. I am very pleased with the money I spent and do not regret it one bit.

On a side note, I just picked up the 840a integreated amp and notice a bigger change in having a dedicated 2 channel amp then using the AVR. Now, all my music runs through the SB/840C/840a set up and doesn't touch the AVR. The AVR now has been relegated to HT Duty only and some multi-channel SACD duties if necessary.

Hope this helped, feel free to PM me if you want more insight or details.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have the 740C and can much mirror what dobieck1 says. This is my first 'real' high end player, and I don't see replacing it any time soon.

At least not until the point where CDs can improve to the point where a newer player technology will make a significant difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too own a 740c and use it as an external dac for lossless music, which I stream to my Xbox 360 from my computer in the basement - great solution

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope to feed mine lossless from my pc too. However, the 1st cd that I tried to rip skipped on playback of wav file. WTF?

So far I am enjoying the player and it sounds better than what I had before.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drecar /forum/post/12924436

I hope to feed mine lossless from my pc too. However, the 1st cd that I tried to rip skipped on playback of wav file. WTF?

So far I am enjoying the player and it sounds better than what I had before.

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 840. They really are fantastic players (and DACs!).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right! It makes for a fantastic DAC. WMA's and MP3's have never sounded better.

I highly recommend this player for anyone looking for a unit with solid build quality. Ease of use and amazing sound. Especially when using as a DAC.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I was looking for a solution like many of you are talking about. I was looking at the new "duet" from slimdevices (logitech).

Then either the Azur CD player 740 or 840 - anyone made an a/b comparison? I went to listen to them today in my local shop, but they only had the lower end models..

Any experience as to how the 840a will work with 4 ohm speakers?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I am considering the 740C to replace a Marantz DV8400 for CD. Is anyone using it in a conventional stereo setup?

·
Registered
7,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 /forum/post/12902616

I am upgrading from the Oppo 980H, which I still use as an SACD/DVD-A player. The 980H has been lauded as a giant killer of sorts, easily outperforming its price class.

Not night and day as I expected (maybe hoped). Actually, it was tough to notice much of a difference initially. So, I settled down for some serious listening in the next few days, and here are my impressions.

Overall soundstage is wider and deeper, while the Oppo presents a pretty good one as well, the 840 beats it in depth, and slightly in width. I think the biggest difference is in the little details. The background instruments, music, sounds, etc., have more detail. It also is very musical, easy to listen to, almost soothing. Not that the Oppo was harsh in any way, but, the Cambridge just "seems" better to me in this regard.

funny, I have an Oppo DV-980H, it's a great player. I especially love it's SACD/DVD-A and (of course) SD-DVD capabilities (via-HDMI, LPCM).

But as a dedicated CD player (via 2ch analog OUT's) it sounds "okay" at best. I prefer the sound of my Denon DVD-3930CI, it has a (noticeably) nicer sound charateristic, more "warm" I guess.

I've actually removed the Oppo from my set-up to make room for a new Pioneer BDP-05FD BluRay player which has very good Wolfson DAC's. 2Ch audio is surprisingly very good, close to rivaling the Denon.

I would love to compare the Cambridge Audio Azur 740c to the Denon or Pioneer just for fun. I'm very intrigued to listen to a proven brand dedicated unit such as the Cambridge Audio player.

Dave

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have readup on the Cambridge units and they are impressive. I have been upgrading my stack and just recently purchased the Emotiva XPA-3 amp to help the Denon Drive my B&W 804N!

Made a nice difference and my source is an old and I mean old Technics 1 bit mash CD player. So I have been giving it the "yer outta here eye" and looking at options.

I am currently trying to get a Sony XA7ES player to dedicate to CD's and get the Oppo BDP-83 a little later.

This will be my first high end CD player. I noticed a couple of forums got shut down for going overboard on the audible difference of CD players. I will be really really surprised if the Sony does not mop up the Technics.

The Cambridge is on my wish list and I also have been watching the DAC Magic product. I am happy to hear such positive experiences that the group of you have enjoyed.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknstones /forum/post/15838938

I have readup on the Cambridge units and they are impressive. I have been upgrading my stack and just recently purchased the Emotiva XPA-3 amp to help the Denon Drive my B&W 804N!

Made a nice difference and my source is an old and I mean old Technics 1 bit mash CD player. So I have been giving it the "yer outta here eye" and looking at options.

I am currently trying to get a Sony XA7ES player to dedicate to CD's and get the Oppo BDP-83 a little later.

This will be my first high end CD player. I noticed a couple of forums got shut down for going overboard on the audible difference of CD players. I will be really really surprised if the Sony does not mop up the Technics.

The Cambridge is on my wish list and I also have been watching the DAC Magic product. I am happy to hear such positive experiences that the group of you have enjoyed.

I am debating a standalone player vs. a CD/SACD unit; also a BR player. One decision will dictate the other so I'm being careful with my research. The 740 is less than the 840 and I've been told the sound is very similar. You could download the manual and read up on it if you like. I did, and plan to read more.

·
Registered
448 Posts
sticknstones I am also interested in user feedback on the DACMagic...it seems to have technology derived from the 740 in the Wolfson DACs and similar upsampling technology, and I would prefer to get the DACMagic over having another player in the equipment rack. I have seen some of the reviews on the DACMagic, but haven't seen much in the form of user feedback on these forums.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a Marantz Universal player that I'm very happy with the sound. But I'm moving to put all my music on a server. I would love to get an Olive Opus, but can't right now. So I'm looking at doing something like an Apple TV unit with an ext. DAC. That DACMagic might be just the trick to make this sound worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 /forum/post/15854341

I have a Marantz Universal player that I'm very happy with the sound. But I'm moving to put all my music on a server. I would love to get an Olive Opus, but can't right now. So I'm looking at doing something like an Apple TV unit with an ext. DAC. That DACMagic might be just the trick to make this sound worthwhile.

Which Marantz, if I may ask? And, have you heard the Cambridge?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have read only positive reviews on the DACMagic and it always seems out of stock! I was trying to bid on the Classic Sony XA7es cd player $3K retail on ebay and thought I might get it for a song then everyone went nuts and drove the price way up there. Biding my time to make the right decision as it has to last a few years!

PrePress that was a good suggestion on the manual! My CD player is so old that I cannot even use it with the DACMagic as I only have RCA outs on this player.

Emotiva is about to release a CD player and I have been real interested in their products and really like the XPA-3 amp I bought from them. It is built like a tank! What I like most about them is they talk about their products and how they are built plus you can call and talk to them very easily. Makes a difference for me!

Nice to have options!

·
Registered
407 Posts
One of the things I have been struggling with is if we buy a really good CD player and it reads the source, oversamples, filters, etc. and produces an output then the question is:

1) Should that output be respected by the processor and output without further processing to the preouts or speakers. If you choose Direct or True Direct it does that by pass for the DAC on the AVR but it also bypasses the Bass Management that you have set for your speakers and such

2) If you go stereo for other format does the processor really need to do anymore to the output? How do we really optimize the relation between the CD and Processor when we want to do critical music listening.

I called Emotiva and asked if they will explain this in their product as they are coming out with a new processor as well as CD. I think it is very difficult for us to understand this without the product vendors providing reasonable explanation. Companies like Denon and such are so big you cannot get to a credible source to talk to as we try and grow our knowledge base! Emotiva says yes we will help explain that either through the forum or we will produce a paper.

If anyone understands this then please explain. I think about this now as I am looking at a substantial upgrade for the CD souce. The ol technics never presented this concern as I was happy to let the AVR do whatever it wanted. The Technics has a 1 bit dac versus the 20bit Sony and 24bit series more common on todays units.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress /forum/post/15854420

Which Marantz, if I may ask? And, have you heard the Cambridge?

I have the Marantz DV7001. I needed a Uni player and this one was the best I could find under $1k - oversamples, separate audio vs video power supplies and I wanted something to play multi-ch SACD as well as CD's and DVD so went for this. I previously had the Marantz SA8001 which I now regret selling. But the DV7001 does have excellent sound.

Yes I have heard the Azur 740c (and 840c) and strongly considered it. It would be an excellent CD player and can be used as an external DAC. That would have been a good way for me to go as well. Thats why now I'm interested in the DACMagic, because of the great sound of their Azur CD players, and the reasonable price I can add to a music server.

·
Registered
423 Posts
have anyone heard the 740c azur cd player connected to a denon 3808 via analog cables in pure direct mode into a stereo rotel amp onto b&w 804s?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts