AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some reviews regarding these speakers along with a recommendation of a subwoofer to go with one of these pairs. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You might want to be a little more patient. This is a largely US based forum, and it was the middle of the night. In fact just after 7 am here on the east coast now!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I would go with the Cambridge Audio SX-50 over the Energy CB-5. Klipsch and Cambridge Audio are completely different sounding speakers. You should try to demo them.

Best place for researching about subwoofers and getting recommendations is the AVS subwoofer forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24405601

You might want to be a little more patient. This is a largely US based forum, and it was the middle of the night. In fact just after 7 am here on the east coast now!

Agreed. Even during the middle of the day, you should be more patient. This is not a company help desk. LOL

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24405265

Looking for some reviews regarding these speakers along with a recommendation of a subwoofer to go with one of these pairs. Thanks.

Need to know your budget and if you are in the USA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live In Southern California.

I'm looking to spend up to $300 on the pair of bookshelf speakers (of which cannot be taller than 9 inches) and around $200 for a good clean subwoofer to compliment.

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24406097

I live In Southern California.

I'm looking to spend up to $300 on the pair of bookshelf speakers (of which cannot be taller than 9 inches) and around $200 for a good clean subwoofer to compliment.

Cambridge S30
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30OAK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Dark-Oak/1.html

Mordaunt Short Aviano 7 - and it is a clean subwoofer, and can hit 25 hz > and can

blend well with the S30
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MORDAVI7BL/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-7-10-175-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Black/1.html

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24406097

. . . around $200 for a good clean subwoofer to compliment.

I'm not sure that there is any such beast. Probably going to have to raise your budget a little. It's a common misconception that one can spend less money on a sub than their speakers in this budget range and get good quality from a budget subwoofer. A sub is a big speaker, a big enclosure, AND an amplifier. A sub is big and heavy and costs a lot to ship. All $200 subs going to include some major design compromises.

If you want good sound, I think you need to raise your budget to the Aviano 7 sub that Jim mentioned.

What make/model receiver/amp do you have for the speakers?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked out the klipsch rb-41 II at a local frys and was not impressed. I heard the energy power 10 with it and was let down as well. So far Ilike the energy cb-5 over klipsch. Does anyone know where it can demo the Cambridge?

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24406619

Just checked out the klipsch rb-41 II at a local frys and was not impressed. I heard the energy power 10 with it and was let down as well. So far Ilike the energy cb-5 over klipsch. Does anyone know where it can demo the Cambridge?

No real place to demo - I have owned them, and will take them over Klipsch and the CB Energy.

Your call

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24407180

No real place to demo - I have owned them, and will take them over Klipsch and the CB Energy.

Your call
Thanks.  Is there a major difference between the S30 and the SX-50? Or is the SX-50 just the newer model?

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24407199

Thanks.  Is there a major difference between the S30 and the SX-50? Or is the SX-50 just the newer model?
I have not listened to the SX-50 > however, they look like a diluted version of the S30.

The S30 weighs more, and looks to be better built.

Your call

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thank you all for contributing and helping me out.  I have narrowed it down to the Energy CB-5 (only because I actually heard them and really liked them) VS the Cambridge S30 (i have not heard them, but those who have, rave about it).  

It boils down to the subwoofer choice now, and im torn between all of the ones that were recommended:

NXG-BAS-500

Mordaunt-Short Aviano 7

SVS SB-1000 (out of my price range, but heard alot of good things, and the size is good)

I had considered the BIC F12, but parsing through a lot of the reviews, from what I understood, it is mostly a "boom-boom" type of sub.  The original sub I heard with the Energy CB-5 was the Energy ESW-C10.  I liked it alot, but out of my proposed price range at $430.  

If you wouldnt mind shedding some light between the above mentioned woofers, or if I am going in the wrong direction, please let me know.  Again, it is for a smaller apartment living room (18x12x10), open to a hallway leading to the kitchen and stairs. Finalized setup will be 2.1.

Thanks in advance for your continued support and knowledge. 

·
Registered
19,548 Posts
My budget-friendly sub choices are

(1) SVS PB-1000

(2) HSU STF-2

(3) Mordaunt Short Aviano 7

The Mordaunt is musical and is controlled, tight and articulate > and is good

also for HT > however, not as high SPLs as the other two.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24408124

If you wouldnt mind shedding some light between the above mentioned woofers, or if I am going in the wrong direction, please let me know.  Again, it is for a smaller apartment living room (18x12x10), open to a hallway leading to the kitchen and stairs. Finalized setup will be 2.1.

I own the SB-1000. At louder volumes, it would probably struggle in that size room. it's a small compact sub really meant for smaller spaces. Size does matter (driver size and enclosure size) when it comes to subs. You'd need to push up to their SB12-NSD compact sub, which is a little more in cost.

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24408124

Again, it is for a smaller apartment living room (18x12x10), open to a hallway leading to the kitchen and stairs. Finalized setup will be 2.1.

How much loudness liberty, are you going to have in an apartment?

Is it OK for you to fill that space with loud spl sound, and not get evicted?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24408324

How much loudness liberty, are you going to have in an apartment?

Not much at all.  That's exacly my point.  I am not going to listen to loud music or push my system to the limits.  What I am looking for is something that will definitely be clear, crisp and tight while listening to music and watching movies. IMO, the SB-1000 (if i did go with SVS) will be more than sufficient, along with the rest of the list.  I just dont know which sub to pull the trigger on.  At this point, do you think I should just go with the cheapest of the options?  Given the rough dimensions of the room and how they will be used, do you think they will pretty much operate the same way?

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabraham1  /t/1519701/cambridge-audio-sx-50-vs-klipsch-rb-41ii-vs-energy-cb-5#post_24408361

Not much at all.  That's exacly my point.  I am not going to listen to loud music or push my system to the limits.  What I am looking for is something that will definitely be clear, crisp and tight while listening to music and watching movies. IMO, the SB-1000 (if i did go with SVS) will be more than sufficient, along with the rest of the list.  I just dont know which sub to pull the trigger on.  At this point, do you think I should just go with the cheapest of the options?  Given the rough dimensions of the room and how they will be used, do you think they will pretty much operate the same way?

Only you can make a decision - For me, I would not spend over $300 for a sub,

while living in an apartment.

No guarantee that you will love something like the Mordaunt Short - however I like

it, and it does play below their specs - however, after 25hz it drops like a rock.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts