AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read both their PDF manuals and they appear to be identical in both features and operation. What's more, at www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks , I find out that 9210 is how you access the hidden menu! I am also aware the Cambridge runs between $350 and $400, as opposed to the Oppo's $169. Are the internal audio and video chipsets and processors identical as well? Is there an advantage to the Cambridge over the Oppo?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nearly everything in or from the UK will be twice (2 times) as expensive as here, I think you might find the audio quality might be better on the Cambridge Audio, through their choice of DACs' and being a company that produce audio as well as video products.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I'm very curious how the Cambridge Audio DVD99 compares to many other popular universal players on the market, at a similiar price-range, for example- Denon, Pioneer, Sony, etc.,....I'm especially interested in sound-quality for CD, SACD, DVD-A. I already have an Oppo DV-980H, which is very good all around (especially for SD-DVD sources, SACD/DVD-A via-LPCM). however I'm more curious in regards to analog audio output.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Also very curious how the Cambridge Audio Azur 540D V2 compares to many other popular universal players as well (ie. Denon, NAD, Marantz, etc.,...), especially in regards to quality (failure rate, etc.,..).........

·
Registered
376 Posts
Cambridge's players convert DSD to PCM before it reaches the analog 5.1 outputs. The Marantz DV7001, according to the written specs in its manual, has a nice analog output section. However, there are some inconsistancies between the specs in the manual and the specs of the three possible types of DACs it could possibly be using. Also, its manual doesn't state that speaker distance settings have no affect during SACD playback. This means that even if bass management, downmixing, and/or time alignment is/are not applied, there is a chance that SACD's DSD may be converted to PCM before it reaches the 5.1 analog outputs. Also, the DV7001 will not send SACD or 480i via its HDMI 1.1 output, making it a step behind as far as its digital output is concerned. All of the above has led me to a decision I am glad I made, the decision to purchase a factory-fresh Pioneer Elite DV-58AV, which has a huge thread here at AVS. You should read that thread. You'll see the pros, cons, and inbetweens of many other players there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts