AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of an audio newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

I saw some great reviews for the Cambridge Soundworks Megatheater 505 system. Anyone have any experience with this system?

How do I know if it is Dolby 5.1 capable?

I hear 5.1 is what I should be looking for so please give me any advice you can.

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Howdy, I bought one as an Xmas gift (sort of) to my girlfriend. I wanted a home theatre away from home, so to speak, but had to balance that with her lack of understanding as to why anything could possibly need more than 2 speakers. I'm not an audiophile, but i have a pretty decent system at home comprising entirely of open box Cambridge Soundworks speakers and an 8 channel yamaha rxv 3000 amp. So I wanted to get her something respectable. Off I went, listening to a variety of home theater solutions from the in a box $299 type, up to around $1500 for a marantz 4200 with a set of Cambridge Soundworks Newtons. This $1500 system absolutely kicked arse BTW, but if I'd turned up in her living room with a bunch of big black boxes, I would have been the one getting a good kicking. So it was back to the in-a-box ones. After listening to options from Sony, Onkyo, Panasonic, Denon and Yamaha and the Megaworks I have to say the Megaworks was in a class of it's own. It had a rich and detailed sound, quite punchy bit still full and the the soundstage and imaging were fluid and coherrent. It was also by FAR the best with 2 channel music. Having said all that, however there were some problems and she is now on her 3rd unit. The first one would stick on the "disk Loading" screen, there were loud thunks switching between sources and at power on, and the head unit just seemed unco-operative at times. The second had the same "thunks", but the 3rd seems fine. The guys at Cambridge were great as far as taking the units back and were happy to set up the 3rd one in the store to check it out before I took it. The great thing about Cambridge is their 45 day no hassle tryout, so if you just don't like it, they'll take it back. They also offer a range of speaker upgrades on the 505 which might be of intrest to you. The girlfriend loves it now, by the way.......

·
Registered
534 Posts
I can't comment on the one box solution, but I am extremely impressed with CSW, their speakers and their service. I use CSW Ensemble II's and I love them- considering the bang for the buck, I'll buy there again. and did for my Center and surrounds (just waiting on the room to hook 'em up!) Next year I'll upgrade the reciever to DD.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.