AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my audio. Right now I have an older HTIB.

mostly I listen to music, so I am not looking to get 'bells and whistles' just a really great sound, that I can for listen to for hours without getting tired of it.

I can still use the htib for movies, so I am not looking to upgrade that but it just does not have good sound for music.

I think a budget amp for less than 3-400 would be great, because I want to have something left for speakers and maybe some room treatment. As sources I will use my mp3 player (3.5mm out) and computer for CDs and mp3's

what do you guys think about

cambridge 340A or NAD C-315BEE as a budget amp? I am open to more suggestions.

can anyone recommend an online place where I can get a good price?

I am not familiar with any of the dealers or the manufacturers places that carry so I hope someone can help.

as far I understand both have no output for sub or preamp.

but I think if I get good speakers it should be OK, I am think of these speakers:

Polk audio Monitor 70

I've seen good prices for them recently

regarding the receiver part, I have seen good prices for stuff like YAMAHA rx-v365 which is half the price of CA or NAD and has a sub output but I assume the sound quality won't be as good.

thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
498 Posts
Within your price range you can also check out the Harman Kardon 3390 and 3490 stereo receivers. They both have sub outputs and the 3490 has digital inputs which may be useful for connecting the computer.

Listen to as many speakers as you can before buying so you know you will be happy. Many of the internet direct companies allow a 30 day trial period. Also, if you think you'll be adding a sub for music you may want to just get some nice bookshelf speakers. If you don't listen to music that really needs to go low enough for a sub, then the towers should be all you need.

You can get HK refurb units on EBAY direct from HK with factory warranty for a steal. Looks like 3490 auctions are ending in the low $200's. Look for seller harmanaudio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/18311000

Within your price range you can also check out the Harman Kardon 3390 and 3490 stereo receivers. They both have sub outputs and the 3490 has digital inputs which may be useful for connecting the computer.

Listen to as many speakers as you can before buying so you know you will be happy. Many of the internet direct companies allow a 30 day trial period. Also, if you think you'll be adding a sub for music you may want to just get some nice bookshelf speakers. If you don't listen to music that really needs to go low enough for a sub, then the towers should be all you need.

You can get HK refurb units on EBAY direct from HK with factory warranty for a steal. Looks like 3490 auctions are ending in the low $200's. Look for seller harmanaudio.

Jettore

thanks for your suggestions.

what internet companies do you use? I haven't bought any serious audio gear in my life, that's why I am asking. bought my HTIB used from my cousin.

I , checked out ebay, you are right, pretty good prices, actually I was originally considering HK, but when I went through a bunch of avs posts with opinions regarding their quality, I had some mixed feelings. that'd why I ended up thinking of CA and NAD,

as you mentioned before, the units on ebay have a full HK warranty as I saw that they have, but I could not find anything specific, do you have an idea if it is a 1-year warranty or is it 90-day?

thanks again,

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you are seriously interested in the Cambridge 340A, you should hurry. The 340 series has been discontinued and replaced with the upcoming Topaz family of products, Right now, Audio Advisor, an authorized online Cambridge dealer has the 340A on sale in both black and silver. For what it is worth, before our store was a Cambridge dealer, I purchased a D300 demo CD player from Audio Advisor. Great purchase experience and a great product line. Here's the link to the 340A at AA: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA340A

Hope this helps and best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Honestly, I buy most things online from Amazon. When looking for an online purchase, just make sure you check the following things first. Return policy, restock fee and make sure they are an authorized reseller for the product you are buying.

As TDI Driver said, Audio Advisor has a good deal on the Cambridge units. I have never purchased from them though.

As far as the HK's go, I think most of their issues are with their AV Receivers. I don't recall seeing any real problems with their stereo receivers. I have purchased an AVR from their EBAY store and it is a little buggy, but for the price and what I use it for it is great. I think they are 1 one year warranty, would have to check.

One thing to remember with the CA, I don't think it has pre-outs so if you want to add a bigger amp down the road it may not work. This may not be an issue for you, but it's good to know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
you could most likely stretch your budget further if you browse Audiogon.com. its pretty much the ebay/craigslist for insanely nice 2ch stuff, but there are still items up there for average-joe consumers like you and i
so most of the stuff is technically used, but their rating scale is strict beyond strict, and usually if you buy nice stuff, you take care of it

i'm in a similar situation as you, but with a slightly higher budget. you are smart to check out Cambridge Audio, they have great products. i was originally looking at the 640A, and loved the 740A, but that is a little too much for me. ive never heard NAD stuff, so i cant exactly vouch for their quality, but ive heard good things as far as reviews and such.

also, try looking up the Onkyo A-9555. you might be able to find one used for around that much. i know it might be a little out of your budget, but i recently heard most of Marantz's current two-channel line up, and loved it. maybe the PM-5003 would be something to consider (its got fairly low power though). i also love their SR-4023, but thats a bit more as well. i do see them on agon once in a blue moon

but i would certainly browse audiogon for....

Cambridge Audio

Rotel

NAD

maybe some Onkyo

keep looking/researching, and let us know what you decide on!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts