AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years, I have absolutely loved with the DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system that was released by Creative Labs back in 2000 (way back when they were good). The sound quality is simply amazing, coming from these tiny cubed speakers. Well, nine years later, I want to upgrade my DTT2500 to a real av receiver and to do so, I also need new speakers. I went to CS's website and was looking at this 5.1 setup. Do any of you guys have any experience with Cambridge Soundworks speakers? What do you guys think?

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=k1ht305s

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the predecessor system minus the sub (mc300s and s300s). I've been very happy with them. when we moved I had to retire the s300s and installed some CSW in-ceiling. i also have a set of their outdoor speakers. happy with all of them. pretty good price. I'd maybe consider getting the mc405 for the center

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am using Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (original 1st series) speakers. I think they are pretty good and were the best sounding speakers at Best Buy when I bought them (they had real soundrooms back then). They were bought around 1990 I think, so they are holding up well over time.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to place an order for some speakers today and now the website is gone.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My speakers should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!

I have already received some S305s from their clearance sale and they are very impressive.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly have nothing but good things to say about this setup. Now that I've been able to use it for the past week, I feel so spoiled every time I watch a movie. The sound really is half the movie experience. It's like I'm at the theaters in my own home!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the current promotion, it really is a no-brainer to buy this system. I kind of wish I had waited a few extra weeks. But I have thoroughly enjoyed the system this past month. You never know when these deals come around.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck /forum/post/15811152

I honestly have nothing but good things to say about this setup. Now that I've been able to use it for the past week, I feel so spoiled every time I watch a movie. The sound really is half the movie experience. It's like I'm at the theaters in my own home!

Congrats on your new setup! CSW doesn't get nearly the attention they deserve.

Over the past couple of months, I've taken advantage of their ridiculous clearance sales. I snagged a p1005 sub, a set of S305s, an MC305 for my center and a pair of M85 bookshelves as mains. All at deep discounts.

I got a Marantz 7002 to drive them, also at a very good price from uBid.

Since the basement isn't done yet they've been sitting in their boxes cluttering up the living room, though I've taken out the M85s when the wife was out and fired up the receiver. Uncalibrated and un-broken in they sound fantastic; the highs are bright and tight; detailed and not at all harsh. The mids seem a little thin as yet but I anticipate a few days of break-in will loosen all that up and it will bloom. The bass is deep, tight and well defined. It doesn't get incredibly low but you still feel your spleen vibrate. The 1000 watt sub will more than make up for any shortcomings here.

Because it was easier than connecting the ps3 to the receiver and to the tv (its all in boxes and a pain to lug), I tested them out using my macbook pro, flac files converted to apple lossless and outputted to my airport express which is connected via optical to the Marantz. I only listened to music, no movies. I placed them about 5 feet apart and I sat about 5 feet away; closing my eyes I could swear that Radiohead was rocking out in the middle of my skull. I almost cried it sounded so good; literally.

I'll give a more thorough review in a week or two when everything is set up and broken in. I can't wait.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wish I got a chance to hear the M85 as I'm a huge fan of the M80s, which can be seen in pretty much all of my posts relating to speakers across the internet; the Needham store never got their display pair of 85s set up before closing unfortunately. I did hear the MC305s with the new tweeter and liked them a lot, but I've yet to hear what the new Kevlar midrange sounds like.

Unless they vastly changed the crossover in the M85, give the bass some time and play with placement. When I first got my M80s it seemed hard to believe that they had 8" woofers because of the lack of bass, but once I got them on stands and better placed in the room, I'm now listening to music without my sub 90% of the time. They will get very low once you hit the sweet spot.

Looking forward to your comments in the future; you might want to check out our make-shift owners thread as well, there aren't many CSW people left it seems but there has been a slight comeback recently.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci /forum/post/15926025

I wish I got a chance to hear the M85 as I'm a huge fan of the M80s... but I've yet to hear what the new Kevlar midrange sounds like.

I have not heard the M80s but the specs listed on hifi.com make them out to be almost identical to the M85s. You can find info on almost all of their current and relatively recent/discontinued speakers by entering the model number in the hifi.com search bar.

As far as the new kevlar midrange, I can't compare the sound to the M80 but I can say that the vocals sounded recessed, almost overwhelmed by the highs and lows on OK Computer, Sea Change and Wish You Were Here. However, Dylan's vocals on Bringing it All Back Home were amazing. Solid, rich, up-front and detailed; it sounded as if he was in my living room singing Mr. Tambourine Man.

I think what I heard from the former listening was a combination of poor mastering, over-processed digital tracks (CD rip/WAV->FLAC->Apple lossless), no break-in and high expectations.

Quote:

Unless they vastly changed the crossover in the M85, give the bass some time and play with placement. When I first got my M80s it seemed hard to believe that they had 8" woofers because of the lack of bass, but once I got them on stands and better placed in the room, I'm now listening to music without my sub 90% of the time. They will get very low once you hit the sweet spot.

I'm relieved and excited to hear you say that! Your enthusiasm is contagious and I can't wait to get 'em up and running so I can tinker.

Quote:

Looking forward to your comments in the future; you might want to check out our make-shift owners thread as well, there aren't many CSW people left it seems but there has been a slight comeback recently.

Thanks for the link, I'm glad to see people are interested.

Nice pics btw! The M80s are beautiful, a quality often lacking in bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a set of these. Again was really impressed with the set I have for the PC. Amazing sound. Anyone using these with a lossless Blu-ray setup?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The HT-RC260 should work exceptionally well. I am thinking about purchasing a second HT-RC260 to replace a ten year old receiver in one of my other HT systems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts